Thread: Miller 350p Question

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 350p Question

Have Miller 350p. Always on pulse. 4043 wire .035. Straight Argon obviously. Problem I have had with it for awhile is inconsistency. Might weld perfect for a couple days, even a week. Next day I come in to shop and it welds horribly. Settings are all same every time. We have tried many different things to try to remedy it, but no matter what I try it happens again. Have pictures. Welding 1/8” to 3/16” 5053 and 6061 aluminum. Will post pictures once i figure out how to. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller 350p Question

gremlins?

What have you done to make it weld well again? Presumably you're doing something that fixes the problem, if it then manages to weld well for another few days.

Soft wire is always a pain, your liner and tip have to be in absolutely mint condition. The wire oxidizes over time as well, it's maybe worth changing out if its old or if its a cheap brand. We had to chuck out about 30kg of 1050 grade wire a few years back as it just wouldn't run right, but switched back to a brand new good brand reel - no problems.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing at all. Just like a light switch then it is back to normal. For example, I was welding boat ribs yesterday and for 3/4 of the rib it was a nasty soot covered weld with lots of splatter. Got to a certain point and it just turned into a very pretty weld, like it is supposed to. Still trying to figure out how to put pictures on here. Our wire is never too old. I run XR Aluma-Pro push pull and run through a 16lb spool per week. Run Radnor wire though.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that its sputtering and spattering rather than burning back definitely suggests its a power source issue rather than a wire feed issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it still has the buzzing sound like it is supposed to. Just a quiet crackling sound at same time. This week I have went through about 25 tips and have had well over 50 burnbacks. We have a 252 we run as well and I switched push pull guns this morning and have only had 1 burnback. So that problem is solved i believe. Still not welding correctly though. Let me try getting on the computer real quick and see if I can attach photos. I am on phone and I do no see an “attach file” anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was power source for awhile. We have a very large shear and press brake off three phase. But that was not the isssue.
    Last edited by Gunner3235; 05-13-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked your SUP sync to the gun? From what I remember the value on the display should be set to the value printed on the gun. I had that go out of sync once. And just for kicks you could push some 5356 through the liner to clean it. I have had to replace the liner a few times.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

tips and burnbacks = feed problem. 99.9999% this is the problem.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely to be the power source itself, it might be some dirty/undervoltage power.

Even a push-pull gun needs a good condition liner... for the hassle you get, it's easier to regard it as a consumable item and replace it every 2 or 3 reels (6kg/13lb reels that is)

How have you got the liner meeting the push rolls? trimmed right up to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you don't have a primary power source issue?
    One night in the shop I noticed my lights flashing/flickering in an unusual way. I asked my electrician friend about it. Before he could get over he found out that the power company had had a transmission line issue that caused the same thing for a bunch of people.

Post Thanks / Like

To shovelon: Gun wants 129 for SUP. It has been that since we got it. Has been checked. Just replaced liner not even a month ago. Last one was split in 2 different spots. Ended up not being the problem.
    To Munkul: I mentioned on here about burnback problems. Since I switched guns I have not burned up a single tip yet. That problem is solved I believe! Yes the liner is correctly placed. No issue there. And get this, when this gun isnt “welding right”, it only welds good in one direction. If i weld from right to left, it welds horribly. But if I go from left to right, it welds normal. Explain that one 🤷🏻*♂️ Throwing me for a loop! I switched Argon bottles 2 days ago and it has welded perfect since. I think it is a gas issue. But this happens so much that it would be impossible for that many Argon bottles to be bad. Last bottle i had it almost empty then magically my welder was welding perfect again. Ran that bottle out, threw a new one on, then back to same old crap.
    To vwguy3: I am 99.9% sure it is not power issue.
    Thanks for responses

Post Thanks / Like

I am a righty, so welding “right to left” would be me pushing puddle into itself. Welding “left to right” for me is pulling the puddle into itself. I know you know the terms just wanted to clarify what I meant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

it might be some dirty/undervoltage power.
    I did experience this problem with my 350P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :