Thread: Wc-115a question

Post Thanks / Like

Wc-115a question

I am recently retired and picked up a load of used welding gear for my bucket list. I did some gas welding back in high school and college but my career took me another direction. Now I'm trying out some of the paths I didn't take. The gear I got was gas welding gear with the exception of a Miller Wc-115a (with contactor) with a spoolmatic spool gun in pretty good condition. I understand that the Wc-115a has to connect to a welding power source. What I would like to know is if just any stick welder power source will work or if it needs a source that meets specific requirements. Any insights would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wc-115a question

Your going to want a constant voltage machine. A stand alone mig,( mm200 for example), a CV power source,( regency for example) or a multi process like an XMT 304 or an engine drive such as a trailblazer. On many power sources you will also need a 120 volt circuit to power the wc-115.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you MJD. I won't need the 120 to come from the power source. The wc-115 does have the CC sensor connected though I don't expect to use it, Please keep in mind that I know NOTHING about MIG welding. I just got this unit with a set of gas welding gear and now I'm curious. Are you saying ANY stand alone mig or CV power source or multi process or engine drive? That would mean that a stick welder like a Lincoln Electric AC225S would work as the power source?

Post Thanks / Like

You need DC current. You will fry the spoolgun and most likely the wc-115 with AC current. Stick machines for the most part are Constant current , not constant voltage. CC may run the setup but is less than ideal and usually only works at high amperage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I appreciate your patience.

Post Thanks / Like

One more question if I may. I'm looking at a Amico 140 amp stick arc welder IGBT inverter DC welding machine 115-volt at Home Depot. Since this is a DC welding machine can I use it as the power source for the Wc-115? I just want to confirm before I go out and buy one. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wc-115a question

Quote Originally Posted by systemslave View Post
    One more question if I may. I'm looking at a Amico 140 amp stick arc welder IGBT inverter DC welding machine 115-volt at Home Depot. Since this is a DC welding machine can I use it as the power source for the Wc-115? I just want to confirm before I go out and buy one. Thanks in advance.
    M J D answered this for you in post number 4
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to the manual for the Miller WC-115A:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...c-Wc-115a.html

There's a jumper on the circuit board inside the machine to select between CC or CV DC power supplies. Make sure that it is on the CC EXT jumper if you use the Amico 140 CC DC machine.

Note: The Amico 140 doesn't have a contactor (relay) to turn the power supply on and off. There might be a contactor in the Miller unit (but it is an option). Without a contactor the spool gun that you have will be hot all the time. Many MIG setups use the contactor in the welder with the trigger on the spool gun to turn the DC welding power supply on and off and to control the wire feed motor.
    Last edited by Denis G; 05-13-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. My unit does have the contactor built in.