Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 85 of 85

Thread: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Sugarland, GA
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    I hardly use the esab

    if you don’t use the ESAB you could donate it to me. I don’t know how to use but it sure looks like fun to learn on
    Retired Old Guy

    Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14Ē Saw

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    if you don’t use the ESAB you could donate it to me. I don’t know how to use but it sure looks like fun to learn on
    It wouldn’t work in the United States. It’s 240 volt 50hz single phase. I believe you guys need 2 120v phases to get 240 over there? We just use one.

    That’s what’s so handy about my Syncrowave. You just tap the transformer for what voltage you run which in my shop is 400v.

    Also you guys have access to a used machine market so large that I can only dream of having access to. I have to import a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by William Payne; 05-21-2022 at 03:11 AM.
    Gear: Esab power compact 205 with tbi industries torch
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

  3. Likes whtbaron, NotaVegetarian liked this post
  4. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    It wouldn’t work in the United States. It’s 240 volt 50hz single phase. I believe you guys need 2 120v phases to get 240 over there? We just use one.

    That’s what’s so handy about my Syncrowave. You just tap the transformer for what voltage you run which in my shop is 400v.

    Also you guys have access to a used machine market so large that I can only dream of having access to. I have to import a lot of stuff.
    It will work here in Spain no problem. No 110/120 to be seen anywhere. Always 230-240 1ph and if you want it, 3ph 380-400 (which is what I have in my shop). How do you want to arrange the shipping???

    And what you state is true. Having 3ph 380/400 gives you access to used industrial machines that are cheap in the secondary market (basically because almost none wants them as they cannot run them).

    To the OP... GREAT TABLE! Are you planning on drilling it in a pattern to use clamps? I don't think you will be tacking stuff to that pristine surface... how do you plan on clamping things in the middle of the table?

    Mikel

  5. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    It will work here in Spain no problem. No 110/120 to be seen anywhere. Always 230-240 1ph and if you want it, 3ph 380-400 (which is what I have in my shop). How do you want to arrange the shipping???

    And what you state is true. Having 3ph 380/400 gives you access to used industrial machines that are cheap in the secondary market (basically because almost none wants them as they cannot run them).

    To the OP... GREAT TABLE! Are you planning on drilling it in a pattern to use clamps? I don't think you will be tacking stuff to that pristine surface... how do you plan on clamping things in the middle of the table?

    Mikel
    You are absolutely correct about the 3 phase and used machinery. Yes I have 3 phase power in my shop behind my house.

    I really should put my esab back to use. I blew all the capacitors in it and had to replace them all.

    As for my table and clamps. Iím going to work out a good but not excessive pattern for mounting clamps. I donít need hundreds of holes but some strategically placed will be good.

    Welding to a welding table top is a sacrilege offence haha.
    Gear: Esab power compact 205 with tbi industries torch
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

  6. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post
  7. #80
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    7,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post

    Welding to a welding table top is a sacrilege offence haha.
    Yea... I've thought about it, but I can't do it. I did some airbrushing on mine that I thought would be gone in a month, but going on 2 yrs later, it's held up very well. The airbrushing is so thin I've never had a problem getting a good ground, so I haven't been grinding on it either...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  8. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Yea... I've thought about it, but I can't do it. I did some airbrushing on mine that I thought would be gone in a month, but going on 2 yrs later, it's held up very well. The airbrushing is so thin I've never had a problem getting a good ground, so I haven't been grinding on it either...
    That’s where a sacrificial plate can stick in the table is handy.
    Gear: Esab power compact 205 with tbi industries torch
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

  9. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    It wouldnít work in the United States. Itís 240 volt 50hz single phase. I believe you guys need 2 120v phases to get 240 over there? We just use one.
    Single phase 240v phase-to-neutral is effectively the same as 2 phase 240v phase-to-phase, when it comes to an electrical load. The main differences being in fault conditions
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  10. Likes Drroaster liked this post
  11. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    Thatís where a sacrificial plate can stick in the table is handy.
    Drill a pattern of 5/8" holes and you'll be fine. You can always add more as needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  12. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Single phase 240v phase-to-neutral is effectively the same as 2 phase 240v phase-to-phase, when it comes to an electrical load. The main differences being in fault conditions
    It is curious to witness how the electrical supply and squema (lines, ground, neutral, phases, voltage, etc. ) change between different countries. I am not a certified electrician by any means but I wire my own circuits, protections, etc. 1ph and 3ph I ask one of my cousins when in doubt, as he is indeed a certified electrician.

    The electrical installations you have there in the US have nothing to do with what we have here in Spain... If I had to wire anything there, I will probably smoke myself. At least the first time, then I will have to get familiar with your ways of doing!

    Mikel

  13. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Stupidly overkill welding table project.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    It is curious to witness how the electrical supply and squema (lines, ground, neutral, phases, voltage, etc. ) change between different countries. I am not a certified electrician by any means but I wire my own circuits, protections, etc. 1ph and 3ph I ask one of my cousins when in doubt, as he is indeed a certified electrician.

    The electrical installations you have there in the US have nothing to do with what we have here in Spain... If I had to wire anything there, I will probably smoke myself. At least the first time, then I will have to get familiar with your ways of doing!

    Mikel
    I am in the UK, not the US. We have 240v single phase, and 415v 3 phase, only.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  14. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,656,265,087.90072 seconds with 14 queries