+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terminology, polarity and penetration

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terminology, polarity and penetration

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    DCEN, DC-, DC straight: All mean the stinger or tig torch are negative. They also mean the electricity is "flowing" from the stinger to the workpiece.
    DCEP, DC+, DC reverse: Stinger or tig torch are positive.

In tig welding it is easy to see which "direction" current "flows" by how the tungsten reacts.
    In DC+ the electricity flows into the tungsten - causing it to ball up and burn back.
    As a result, greater depth of fusion (penetration) is in DC- and the tungsten can handle the current.

In stick, although the "flow" is the same, the result on depth of fusion is reversed.

"...there is a jet action and/or expansion of gases in the arc at the electrode tip.
    This expansion causes the molten metal to be propelled with great speed across the arc.
    The molten metal impacts the base metal with greater force.
    This heavy impact on the base metal helps to produce deep, penetrating welds."
    ~Modern Welding 1997 Althouse, Turnquist, Bowditch, and Bowditch."

As far as I know, this is the current theory on how this all works and what it all means.

None of my textbooks have it any other way.

As far as "on-line consensus" goes - a consensus is not of much value.
    I've been herding electrons since 1969. Until January this year no one has challenged what you've said. Suddenly the internet is flooded with theory contradicting it.

I don't know, I haven't gone wrong all these years believing that flow of electrons does work.

I can't see electrons, maybe I'm a fool thinking they go where I want them to go. They might be thumbing their noses at me, going the other way, how would I know?
    Last edited by Willie B; 05-19-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry pixies and the magic smoke.

The best you can do is to contain them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

So it’s all smoke an mirrors and a talented hand with JB Weld. Thanks for explaining it.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

I usually contain electrons, but mice & forklift drivers are more numerous than I.
    Mice eat everything not metal.
    Forklift operators crash through metal conduit to destroy wiring. One facility, I claim they could break cannon balls. I was called in for a "minor" project Thursday. They had "disconnected" two motors, wanted them re connected. I accused them of chaining a truck to the conduits & yanking them.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I usually contain electrons, but mice & forklift drivers are more numerous than I.
    Mice eat everything not metal.
    Forklift operators crash through metal conduit to destroy wiring. One facility, I claim they could break cannon balls. I was called in for a "minor" project Thursday. They had "disconnected" two motors, wanted them re connected. I accused them of chaining a truck to the conduits & yanking them.
    I guess they were getting "revenge" on the electricians.

When I worked as a carpenter in residential home construction, we had an ongoing feud with the electricians because I swear these guys were a freaking MENACE to the job. Forget to wire a circuit until the sheetrock was already up? No problemo, just take a BF sledgehammer and bust out a 3' x 3' opening in the sheet rock to put in your boxes! And while you're at it, take that Sawzall and chop through -- oh, I dunno, let's say FOUR studs in that BEARING wall, you don't want to have to fiddle around with a fish or anything like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    I guess they were getting "revenge" on the electricians.

When I worked as a carpenter in residential home construction, we had an ongoing feud with the electricians because I swear these guys were a freaking MENACE to the job. Forget to wire a circuit until the sheetrock was already up? No problemo, just take a BF sledgehammer and bust out a 3' x 3' opening in the sheet rock to put in your boxes! And while you're at it, take that Sawzall and chop through -- oh, I dunno, let's say FOUR studs in that BEARING wall, you don't want to have to fiddle around with a fish or anything like that!
    Those would not be electricians. Those are cave men.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've been herding electrons since 1969. Until January this year no one has challenged what you've said. Suddenly the internet is flooded with theory contradicting it.

I don't know, I haven't gone wrong all these years believing that flow of electrons does work.

I can't see electrons, maybe I'm a fool thinking they go where I want them to go. They might be thumbing their noses at me, going the other way, how would I know?
    I always used to say........be the puddle........be the metal. Why should you be any different. As long as you know what you're lookin' at, and it works,, it's golden.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist