Thread: Mig Liner

Post Thanks / Like

Mig Liner

How often does a liner need to be replaced. I have had my lincoln sp-135t for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mig Liner

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    How often does a liner need to be replaced. I have had my lincoln sp-135t for years.
    It's probably based on how much wire you push through a liner. So how often do you use your machine? Are you having any issues with the wire currently?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the type of wire and material the liner is made of will affect life, if the wire is rough or rusty it will shorten life. I also think storage conditions will matter, if it's very humid it may cause rust/corrosion on the wire and or liner.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Got 1 or 2 never been changed. Decades old, not worn thru,,, ha

Post Thanks / Like

On my old LN-25 I never had a liner go bad. It was nasty tho.

With my new LN -25X and because of the environment I weld/swap rolls out I use these to help keep my liners clean. I run everything from .35 - 5/64's Flux core wire through it.

Name:  7130o-jaU2L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  133.5 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post

With my new LN -25X and because of the environment I weld/swap rolls out I use these to help keep my liners clean. I run everything from .35 - 5/64's Flux core wire through it.

wow this looks like a good idea. If it works well in a commercial environment my little shop rig my liner may last forever.

thank you
    Last edited by NotaVegetarian; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:28 PM.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14 Saw

7. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Veg,,,, you can use those, they work well enough, lots of guys do especially in dirty environment with hi use. Nothing wrong with them but I dont use ju8st because its more stuff really. You wont wear a liner out anyway. You should never need to replace it on that machine. Be different at a roll of wire or 2 every week but a hobby guy just cant weld that much.

9. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it works well in a commercial environment
    This is a staterment worth looking at, not in regards to this but a lot of things. Its something took me a bit to get a grasp on and I see it continually on the net.
    Guy works in a GM plant so every idea they use there,,,, and they have brain farts too but not all work well at home. Air lines o0ften done this way. The scale, the vol, the number of users and connected equipment all different even before we get to the moisture removal part.
    I have seen some beautiful jobs by guys work as "Industrial" mechanics but jeez,,,, what a waste and really poor design on a smaller scale.
    I commend you for getting a couple welding machines that are right for you. So many copy from work or school and and miss what a true value added salesman would give in making the right match. It used to be harder to find used, prices were highewr and choices fewer,,, is a 300 Synch a good machine,,,, well yes it is but its noit for a guy in a 2 car garage welding from a dryer outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have those .... I never remember to put it back on after changing a roll

seems to be the same with or without... but who knows?

I think keeping the door shut tight on the machine is most important.

as far as liners, if you change it, buy one for the biggest size wire you run...

you can run .023 and -030 in a .035 liner. actually 30/35 might be the same.

hell, I even use .035 tips for ANY size wire. works fine and less chance of the tip getting boogered up.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a career welder, I own 10 machines, 99.5% of it done with the same 2 machines you use.
    Same for the grinders,,, we talk about some and there is always that guy,,, well if you run it 300 hours a day it will,,,, etc, heard it all and after a career with them have settled on a 30$ one I like ok,,, about as well as any and now with some history they have been lasting as long at least and then some and I aint chasing parts and saving "rebuildables" all that is just extra work and cost to go with it. Welding has always been about practical and the first owners manuqals stressed it, the savings, the repairs, the machines sold due to economics.
    While they invent newer for better, to do better thnings a lot of it has been ab out cheaper too,,, welding has traditionally been about value, the machines last so long they were worth the price and now the tech has allowed lower cost than ever especially in entry and its growing in to the professional world,,,, 10 years ago no one would have considered an 800$ tig welder. Now the machine used in the nuke cost and weighs less than the simple remote to the one we use back in the day did. Instead of 20K per man and 200 ft of 4/0 lead now done with 800$ machine and a 12 cord.
    The grinders, 400$ ingers, CP we now have 60$ from Northern has held up last 25 years, not so much as a loose screw.
    I used to carry chain drive cumalong in my work pu,,, was awkward and heavy, cost some astro amount,,, it was what I used earlier in my career from "work" and we had tried something cheaper but didnt really understand it as well as today, this has been replaced by the wire 4T cost 50 and getting ready to replace the one I use last 10 years due to snarly cable but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, earned its keep, could afford to dedicate it to a truck.
    m All these tools are from a different world/era than when I started with all the "advice" i got then,, , so many telling me how I would regret not having every tool snapon, how would break all the wrenches and hurt myself with them,,, turned out to be totally not true. Same for all this future proof with the wiring. Have never had to upgrade a welder circuit, not often etc but never. I have a couple 6 wire ones but would have NEVER overheated a 10 in one. I have added circuits, lots of them, moved them, and even if I put the 6 in one wouldnt have accommodated the one machine,,, that sits in one spot that calls for 100+ service.
    99% of this speculation is just speculation and fear based and fear drive,,, but what if,,, the list of if is long, ask,,, well no,,,, never did use it but had it just in case. People on net believe 25 ft is a long circuit and ask if they should upgrade to number 10 wire for general use. Hard to grasp 90% of the stuff connected is thru 16 wire and even heavy tools use 14.

13. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Point of all that is,,,, and nothing to do with guy posting it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, while that stuff is good you dont need everything you can read about on the internet. Its good stuff but it cam become clutter you paid for and now pay to store. My7 last remodel involved removing as much as I installed and I really work at the clutter removal, I move it out of the way so all that is left is whats needed and some of it becomes a science.
    Box half full of sockets, 70% not used, ones we do are stripped out to where they are needed so we dont have to rummage thru the rest of give a collection a big drawer ride back and forth every time we need 9/16,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I need to add that I burn over 1900lbs of wire a year though my LN25X. Not close to my nearly 5000lbs of rod burnt in a year.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

May never need to replace it, I’m still on the first roll on the Hobart, put a 5lb spool of flux core .030, 71T-11.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14 Saw

17. Likes California, Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to add that I burn over 1900lbs of wire a year though my LN25X. Not close to my nearly 5000lbs of rod burnt in a year.
    If I dont get carried away and start to weld out projects with my 180 10# spool can go a long way, roll or 2 a year, I can go a long time with the 250 too and ran out of wire during the last project and put 045 in to see if the machine liked it any better but done with that work and still above the 30 or 33# I would put in, all my current heavy worrk done

19. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I dont get carried away and start to weld out projects with my 180 10# spool can go a long way, roll or 2 a year, I can go a long time with the 250 too and ran out of wire during the last project and put 045 in to see if the machine liked it any better but done with that work and still above the 30 or 33# I would put in, all my current heavy work done. Probably used 100# of electrodes, maybe a few more and couple spools of 35 wire last 20 years.
    Dont always but can weld something every day, yesterday 2 welds, 1/2 of a 6011 rod. We weld often,,, not a lot.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:25 PM.

21. Likes NotaVegetarian, Freebirdwelds liked this post