Thread: Polarity changes....

Post Thanks / Like

Polarity changes....

Can you change polarity output on any welder from DC+ to dc- ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polarity changes....

Usually yes you can with varying levels of ease/difficulty. What ya got and why do you want to change it?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... details would help. For instance one of my AC buzz boxes is hard wired, so you can't switch leads, but it doesn't matter on AC anyway. My other arc welders are easily switched but it will only affect the DC current. If you're talking about MIG or TIG, it can usually be done, but requires an internal adjustment... so the question back is, "what kind of welder are we dealing with?" You won't get one answer for every welder ever built.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhillis44 View Post
    Most DC welders have a switch to change polarity...some of the engine drives dont...mine doesnt...if there is no polarity switch just switch the weld leads around...for reverse polarity (DCEP) your stinger lead would be +(positive) and your ground lead would be negative. If you want strait polarity (DCEN) your stinger lead will be on the - (negative) side and the ground lead will be on the + (positive) side.

With AC it dont matter...its all set the way it is and as far as I know it cant be changed

Popeye

5. Likes Freebirdwelds, pinetree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inverter welders only require you to swap the leads like Pop said to DCEN OR DCEP, I don't know of any recent welder that has a switch per se.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XMilitary View Post
    Inverter welders only require you to swap the leads like Pop said to DCEN OR DCEP, I don't know of any recent welder that has a switch per se.
    Im not sure but Joe has one up at the shop...I think its a Lincoln Invertec...it think thats what I remember on it...Ive used it a bit and it takes me awhile to figure it out because I might use it once a year...I dont spend much time in the shop..Im usually out in the boonies doin my thing...if i remember right this machine is all digital and such and I do believe the one switch does change the polarity...now you got me to wonderin and I wont sleep right til I check this out...

8. Likes XMilitary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any welder you can change the polarity. But some older welder are hard to do as have to go inside the welder box .
    Most today it easier because of mig and fluxcore.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rhillis44 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Any welder you can change the polarity. But some older welder are hard to do as have to go inside the welder box .
    Most today it easier because of mig and fluxcore.

Dave
    We have a Miller Big Blue 800 Dual with a polarity switch for flux core self shield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    We have a Miller Big Blue 800 Dual with a polarity switch for flux core self shield.
    That's a sweet machine. Have you had to use it at 800A before?

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    That's a sweet machine. Have you had to use it at 800A before?

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Yup. It is a smooth machine! I really like the wireless romote, was worth every penny they paid for it! For stick it is great. It is a different arc than my old 1996 600D. Wire is so so. I prefer the 600D for wire. We will bridge it at 800 for arc air. It does pretty good. Found if you back the amps off to 775 it fools the computer to give you more voltage so you can push the carbon a big more. I miss the ole 600D for arc air. The gen head would climb to 850-950 amps depending on how you used it. That and 160 psi air off the shovel you can really move metal! I piggy backed a 600D and a 500 together. Watched the amp meters and combined amps were around 1500 - 1600. Air arc wand lasted 45 minutes. But job got done quick! Fun fun!

13. Likes 52 Ford liked this post