Thread: 92 Classic 1 sa200

Post Thanks / Like

92 Classic 1 sa200

Had a 92 classic 1 with the F163 in it about a month. Kept cool during the beginning but now i cant Run it without it overheating. Ive changed the thermostat, cleaned the radiator and put new coolant in and it still gets hot. Ive heard something about timing, but it seems to run perfect. Right now its got the stock radiator with an electric fan mounted directly onto the radiator by the previous owner. The machine is chopped 6in so i cannot Run the stock fan. Should i get An adapter to run the stock fan or get a 2 or 3 core radiator.( havent found any that Im sold on)
    Last edited by Dieselcow; 05-21-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 92 Classic 1 sa200

Oods are the radiator needs rod it out.
    Some antifreeze will build up a sum inside

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselcow View Post
    Had a 92 classic 1 with the F163 in it about a month. Kept cool during the beginning but now i cant Run it without it overheating. Ive changed the thermostat, cleaned the radiator and put new coolant in and it still gets hot. Ive heard something about timing, but it seems to run perfect. Right now its got the stock radiator with an electric fan mounted directly onto the radiator by the previous owner. The machine is chopped 6in so i cannot Run the stock fan. Should i get An adapter to run the stock fan or get a 2 or 3 core radiator.( havent found any that Im sold on)

Post Thanks / Like

The radiator has been cleaned by a shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Double check the rotation of your electric fan, I've seen that before. It will move air but not enough. Also verify that your temp gauge is accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

I also check the thermostats too..
    I typically remove thermostats trying to find the problem.

Dave

The radiator has been cleaned by a shop.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is the electric fan not only concentrates the air flow over a too limited surface area but probably lacks in total CFM for proper cooling to begin with in higher ambient temps. This is a common issue/complaint with chopped machines using an electric fan.

Another possibility is if mounted in a standard pickup bed with the radiator up against the front of the box, air flow can be restricted.

If a standard sized radiator is used and dropped it needs the upper hose inlet relocated off to the side for the original fan to clear with most chopped units. A custom, thicker core may be needed as well depending on the overall amount of chop.

This chop included a custom 4-core shortened version of the original. Has never overheated excepted one time it was mounted in standard pickup box pushed all the way up against the front. Pulled back 6" and end of overheat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-21-2022 at 11:02 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    My guess is the electric fan not only concentrates the air flow over a too limited surface area but probably lacks in total CFM for proper cooling to begin with in higher ambient temps. This is a common issue/complaint with chopped machines using an electric fan.

Another possibility is if mounted in a standard pickup bed with the radiator up against the front of the box, air flow can be restricted.

If a standard sized radiator is used and dropped it needs the upper hose inlet relocated off to the side for the original fan to clear with most chopped units. A custom, thicker core may be needed as well depending on the overall amount of chop.

This chop included a custom 4-core shortened version of the original. Has never overheated excepted one time it was mounted in standard pickup box pushed all the way up against the front. Pulled back 6" and end of overheat.
    Is there any info on the custom 4 core that i could Have? The shop that did it?

Post Thanks / Like

You mention the fan is mounted directly to the radiator, meaning there is no shroud. May need a shroud to mount the fan or use two fans with a shroud to get more air flow. On a short hood the air flow goes out the front of the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any info on the custom 4 core that i could Have? The shop that did it?
    It's my understanding it was Kim's Radiator in Sulphur, LA (337-528-2160) that built the custom shortened 4-core. I also understand it came with a $500 price tag as it came already installed on the machine when dropped off to me.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Do the easy stuff first: Check for a blown head gasket (bubbles in the radiator top tank, bad compression, coolant loss) and set the timing, adjust the valves and make sure it isnt running lean.

Post Thanks / Like

I would still check out the radiator.
    Some radiator repair companies will use a radiator fix powder (sodum silcate with plastic dust) this to will coat the inside of tubes if they used to must.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley256 View Post
    Do the easy stuff first: Check for a blown head gasket (bubbles in the radiator top tank, bad compression, coolant loss) and set the timing, adjust the valves and make sure it isnt running lean.
    Im not sure how to set the timing and adjust the valves. Barely worked on a gas engine thats more than one cylinder any videos or help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

The tune up procedures are in the engine manual.
    http://pipeweldrig.com/files/weld/Co...l%20manual.pdf

The engine used to run cool with same radiator, which suggests that something else is causing the overheating, since radiators dont go bad suddenly without leaking. Retarded timing puts a lot more heat into the engine. This can be caused by a stuck centrifugal advance. Blown head gaskets happen suddenly, so also check for water in the bottom of the oil pan.

Post Thanks / Like

replace the thermostat, ive had them start to go bad and not open all the way - cause overheat