Thread: Tig regulator problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Tig regulator problem?

Hello, I have a question for Tig welders. I am using a miller slt150 with 100 percent argon and when I set the regulated output pressure my Guage goes crazy with the needle bouncing all over when I activate the foot pedal. Anyone have this experience? Anyone know possible causes? Your input will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you
    Last edited by Rhillis44; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:47 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tig regulator problem?

Sounds like you're using a mig-type regulator with two gauges, rather than a real flowmeter with the floating ball, right?

I never used the mig-type regulator but I'm guessing the pressure on the "secondary" side is going to jump around, depending on whether the gas is flowing or stopped.

The ball-type flowmeters are not that expensive and I suspect much preferable for tig welding. If you want to test the actual flow at the torch, you can get ball-type flowmeter/testers on ebay fairly cheap. That will tell you what flow (in volume/time) actually is at the torch. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhillis44 View Post
    Hello, I have a question for Tig welders. I am using a miller slt150 with 100 percent argon and when I set the regulated output pressure my Guage goes crazy with the needle bouncing all over when I activate the foot pedal. Anyone have this experience? Anyone know possible causes? Your input will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you
    More details are needed, starting with a picture (or detailed description) of the regulator assembly. Yes, which of the two types is it, one using a flow meter or using an orifice to restrict flow? How many gauges are there; does it have a High (cylinder) pressure and a low (delivery) pressure, and where is the low side set when at rest? Does the needle only drop from there, or both drop and swing far above too, when activating?

Might you have a leak in the torch hose so that when the solenoid opens, the amount of gas leaking from the hole depends on the position/movement of the hose?
    Can you turn off the HF, turn the amperage down all the way, remove the tungsten holder and then block the gas outlet of the torch? If so, what does the gauge show when the pedal is depressed but no gas can escape the torch? If not, maybe carefully crimp the gas line at the handle and then test?

If the diaphragm/valve in the regulator is leaking, the delivered pressure (and reading) can creep up too far when not running gas, then drop down when welding, then jump up again.

Last edited by Oldiron2; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added comment

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you
    I don't know that machine but the flow gauge should not bounce around. I am assuming it is the two gauge type of meter.

Turn the gas off at the bottle and step on the pedal to release the gas in the hose (careful not to strike an arc).
    Disconnect the gas line from the back of the welding machine.
    Remove the flow gauge from the bottle
    Inspect the input of the flow gauge for any dirt.
    Crack the cylinder (momentarily open it a bit to blow out any dirt). Don't stand in front of the outlet and don't try to watch any dirt get blown out.
    Refit the flow gauge to the bottle.
    Adjust your flow to zero (there will be no actual flow, just loosen the adjustment knob so that no gas would flow).
    Gently turn the bottle valve on one turn.
    Try to adjust the flow gauge for (say) 10 CFH. (the other end of the gas hose remains unconnected)

Do you have a smooth flow?

- No --> there is dirt in the gauge or the diaphragm is damaged. Replace it (preferably with a Thorpe tube/bobbin type flow meter).

- Yes --> Reconnect to welding machine. Problem remains? Check gas solenoid or return welding machine for warrantee work.

A flow gauge (two meters) will indicate a high flow when there is no flow - that is the nature of that type of gauge. A Thorpe tube flow meter will only indicate flow when there is flow.

Hope that helps.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Check your flow with one of these at the ceramic nozzle.
    Name:  PFM_WEB.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  12.2 KB

The needle jumping around could just be a sticky pin shaft on the gauge arm. A teeny amount of clock oil could solve that issue.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you
    Did this just start happening or new setup or anything changed ?

If it is new setup it is a flow gauge not a pressure regulator correct ?

If flow gauge is the orifice still intact in the outlet of flow gauge ? They have to work against the orifice to meter at correct rate.
    Last edited by danielplace; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:08 PM.