Thread: Woodworker looking to add welding to my list of skills

Post Thanks / Like

Woodworker looking to add welding to my list of skills

Hi all, I am a woodworker in Northeast WY who is just getting into welding to see if I can add metal to some of my projects, and do repairs and maintenance around our small ranch, since we also have horses, dogs and goats... and with that comes a lot of gate/fence repair, additional trailer anchor points, etc.

After much research and keeping finances in consideration, I opted for the newish Titanium brand Mig 170 from HF (I know I know, but the written and many video reviews have been really favorable to these Titanium welders). This unit can switch between 110v and 220v, is an inverter which makes it light and portable, so I can use it around our small ranch if need be. I just got it set up in the last few days with flux core for now (I'll eventually venture into MIG) and look forward to practicing and then hopefully start fabricating.

I now need to make a safe area for welding by sectioning off a part of my shop that opens up to the outside.

I look forward to learning from the good people here, and hopefully can contribute in some small way in the future at some point.

Thanks,

Albert

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Woodworker looking to add welding to my list of skills

Welcome to the forum,,
    #1 thing,, BUY a BIG fan!! 4 feet tall is not too big, or a really large blower (squirrel cage type) ,, and point it out the door.

If the fan is there, you will use it,, if it is not there, you think your lungs can live without it,, WRONG!!

I have two 48" fans, and a squirrel cage industrial blower,, they all run when I am gonna weld.

I do have a BIG shop,, the number of fans is based on the shop size,, you need at least one.

3. Likes wyberto, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyberto View Post
    Hi all, I am a woodworker in Northeast WY who is just getting into welding to see if I can add metal to some of my projects, and do repairs and maintenance around our small ranch, since we also have horses, dogs and goats... and with that comes a lot of gate/fence repair, additional trailer anchor points, etc.

After much research and keeping finances in consideration, I opted for the newish Titanium brand Mig 170 from HF (I know I know, but the written and many video reviews have been really favorable to these Titanium welders). This unit can switch between 110v and 220v, is an inverter which makes it light and portable, so I can use it around our small ranch if need be. I just got it set up in the last few days with flux core for now (I'll eventually venture into MIG) and look forward to practicing and then hopefully start fabricating.

I now need to make a safe area for welding by sectioning off a part of my shop that opens up to the outside.

I look forward to learning from the good people here, and hopefully can contribute in some small way in the future at some point.

Thanks,

Albert
    Welcome!

Here's a coupon for Harbor Freight Vulcan. I like their TIG gloves. I hear the Vulcan welding hoods are pretty nice, too.

I can't speak for their MIG and flux-core wire, but their stick electrodes are actually pretty good.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

5. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group

Titanium welder will do most work ever have to due on a farm 🚜.

You find fluxcore will do best job.
    E71T-11 or E71T-GS 0.030".
    It will run on generator at least 4,000 watt. It would better if it is start 6,000 watts it gives you 240 volt x 25 amps.

It will run on a 120 volt 3,000 watt but it will be harder to well on 120 volts

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wyberto View Post

Thanks,

Albert
    Last edited by smithdoor; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:00 PM.

7. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to camp. These folk can help
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14 Saw

9. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I also kind of like the Vulcan TIG GLOVES.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

11. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the coupon 52 Ford. I have picked up quite a few things from them already lol, this will come in handy.