+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safe welding area/section within woodshop

Post Thanks / Like

Safe welding area/section within woodshop

Hi all, I am just getting started welding and have a welding area safety question.

I have a shop at home where I do woodworking... and would like to incorporate metal/welding into some of my projects, and think welding would also be very useful around our small ranch. I have a question regarding sectioning off a safe area for welding.

I have a 30' wide x 40' deep shop. What I have in mind is creating a temporary section in the front section of the shop, which is already pretty clear of stuff, since I leave it available to act as a shelter for my truck when it hails lol.

Anyway, I am thinking of perhaps stringing a wire rope across the first 10' of the 40' of the shop depth (this section also has two large sliding doors that open up to the outside front), and hanging welding blankets from the wire rope, effectively creating a temporary 10x30 area for welding, or smaller than the 30' (I doubt I would need all 30'), when I need to weld something. Of course, before welding, this area would be cleared of any major sawdust and no flammable rags, stains or finishes would be kept in this area. My concern is, of course, since this is woodshop, would having say, 16' long of 6' tall welding blankets hanging from the wire rope be enough to separate the woodshop from sparks for safety's sake? And would any super fine sawdust on surfaces pose a problem? I already have two fire extinguishers in this area of the shop.

I can opt to weld outside if need be and weather permitting, but here in Wyoming, that's not always an option lol.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safe welding area/section within woodshop

I do all my welding outside.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wyberto View Post
    Hi all, I am just getting started welding and have a welding area safety question.

I have a shop at home where I do woodworking... and would like to incorporate metal/welding into some of my projects, and think welding would also be very useful around our small ranch. I have a question regarding sectioning off a safe area for welding.

I have a 30' wide x 40' deep shop. What I have in mind is creating a temporary section in the front section of the shop, which is already pretty clear of stuff, since I leave it available to act as a shelter for my truck when it hails lol.

Anyway, I am thinking of perhaps stringing a wire rope across the first 10' of the 40' of the shop depth (this section also has two large sliding doors that open up to the outside front), and hanging welding blankets from the wire rope, effectively creating a temporary 10x30 area for welding, or smaller than the 30' (I doubt I would need all 30'), when I need to weld something. Of course, before welding, this area would be cleared of any major sawdust and no flammable rags, stains or finishes would be kept in this area. My concern is, of course, since this is woodshop, would having say, 16' long of 6' tall welding blankets hanging from the wire rope be enough to separate the woodshop from sparks for safety's sake? And would any super fine sawdust on surfaces pose a problem? I already have two fire extinguishers in this area of the shop.

I can opt to weld outside if need be and weather permitting, but here in Wyoming, that's not always an option lol.

Thanks everyone.

3. Likes wyberto, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome welcome. Don’t do as much welding as most of these folks, but when I do get to use my machines it’s at the front of one of the bay doors or maybe into the drive. Even from the bucket on my tractor. Show them your projects they can help with suggestions on how to, or how to improve what your doing. Show them your welds, they can offer assistance in what your doing to make it better and easier.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

5. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You say “welding”. You can tig weld to minute sparks. However grinding sparks is more concerning. Dust will compromise wood finishes. Ventilation should be a priority.

7. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would not like saw dust.
    Saw dust will cache fire easily.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    You say “welding”. You can tig weld to minute sparks. However grinding sparks is more concerning. Dust will compromise wood finishes. Ventilation should be a priority.

9. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyberto View Post

Thanks everyone.
    Are we to assume you have a stick welder, or a MIG unit? In my experience, the former tends to throw larger beads of molten metal, but I suppose even TIG can if something goes wrong.
    Another thing you can do (besides curtains) to contain "sparks" and molten spatter is to have 2 x 4's on the floor surrounding the area so beads can't skip along the floor. Sand also works but tends to be more messy. Finally, smoke alarms powered by wall current (that can be temporarily disabled by a timer, if they'd react to welding fumes [the timer so you can't forget to turn it back on]) and that are loud enough to be heard anywhere inside the house are another safety option that would alert you if somehow something did get lit and smolder until after you quit.

11. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We tig and mig weld in my woodshop without any issues. Just keep it swept up and tidy.

13. Likes wyberto, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, sawdust and welding, cutting and grinding splatter like to inhabit the same areas!
    Welding splatter will bounce and roll worse than a 10mm socket!
    Wet down the floor, especially around the perimeter of the welding area.

15. Likes wyberto, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are willing to address the concerns, which means the battle is half won. Just remember that dust is more flammable/explosive than the wood or grinding metal that it is composed of, and keep it neat. Depending on the physical size of your projects (and weight),spark containment might be easier with shields directly around where you are working.... something like a sandblasting cabinet made for grinding and welding complete with fume extraction.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

17. Likes wyberto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Oldiron2... I should've included that I have a MIG/Flux 170 unit. I like the idea of having 2x4's on the floor, thank you for that. The smoke alarm is also a great idea as well.

19. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a commercial woodworking shop that we occasionally do welding in. Two pieces of advice come to mind. First, use a leaf blower to blow away all of the sawdust in your welding area. Then you won't have fire hazards.

My biggest concern is the byproducts of grinding. If they get mixed into your woodworking they can cause discoloration to the finish as well as damage to your jointers and planers. So sheeting for grinding dust/debris is very important.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

21. Likes whtbaron, NotaVegetarian, Roert42, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I am welding grinding in my garage w/ other flammables about I try not to just finish up a weld or a cut and leave.

Finish your last weld. Then grab a beer and sit around for half hour or so. Last thing you want is to leave to go do something else, then come back in a couple hours or wake up in the morning and the shop is in flames.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roert42 View Post
    Whenever I am welding grinding in my garage w/ other flammables about I try not to just finish up a weld or a cut and leave.

Finish your last weld. Then grab a beer and sit around for half hour or so. Last thing you want is to leave to go do something else, then come back in a couple hours or wake up in the morning and the shop is in flames.
    I do something similar in that after welding, I spend some time cleaning the shop or putting away tools. This helps so the next time I go to start working, I have a somewhat clean shop.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

24. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So those beers in my beer fridge are actually a safety mechanism.... should make them tax deductible...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes Roert42, MinnesotaDave, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you said blow all saw dust out shop.
    But this does take time.

The best way is to do welding some place else. You can store the welding equipment with wood working.
    I would look at table with all equipment under the table with large wheels so rolls easily .
    Then you quickly roll it out and goto work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    I have a commercial woodworking shop that we occasionally do welding in. Two pieces of advice come to mind. First, use a leaf blower to blow away all of the sawdust in your welding area. Then you won't have fire hazards.

My biggest concern is the byproducts of grinding. If they get mixed into your woodworking they can cause discoloration to the finish as well as damage to your jointers and planers. So sheeting for grinding dust/debris is very important.

28. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine was a woodworker and blacksmith. His forge was in one 6' x 6' corner of his woodshop.......

30. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past I did a lot of work in sawmills. Grinding or torching caused a lot more problems than welding ever did. In the sawmills we set the area down before working as it was much easier than trying to get the area clean of dust. Sweep or blow out what you can before work and then monitor the area for at least a half hour after finishing. Generally any type of fires started smolder quite a while and give you a pretty good indication of smell before it's an issue.

32. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I weld, gouge and cut plate steel in mulch daily. And not always fresh mulch either. Yes I do keep a water fire extinguisher with me. But I have yet to start a fire. I do spray some smolders just so I don't have to smell them. Make sure that you listen to your nose while welding.

Name:  ppp.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  194.2 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

PS: I just want to add this so for people who don't know this is where the mulch comes from. And also on the coldest nights these multi thousand yard piles of much will combust into flames on their own. In the second picture on the right over the white grinder you'll see the steam coming from one of the mulch piles as it decomposes.

Name:  20220502_081322.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  20220502_081335.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  149.2 KB
    Last edited by Freebirdwelds; 05-25-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Speeling
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

35. Likes Roert42, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like your shop 👍

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    I weld, gouge and cut plate steel in mulch daily. And not always fresh mulch either. Yes I do keep a water fire extinguisher with me. But I have yet to start a fire. I do spray some smolders just so I don't have to smell them. Make sure that you listen to your nose while welding.

37. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PS: I just want to add this so for people who don't know this is where the mulch comes from. And also on the coldest nights these multi thousand yard piles of much will combust into flames on their own. In the second picture on the right over the white grinder you'll see the steam coming from one of the mulch piles as it decomposes.
    What ultimately is the mulch used for? Burned in a "co-generation" plant, compressed into fire logs, shipped elsewhere for ground cover? I wouldn't think it could be made into paper after partially decomposing and getting dirt or rocks mixed in.

Some decades ago, a huge rice hulls pile burned for months up north towards Chico. I thought it would have been neat to cover the pile with sheet steel and pump CO2 deep into the pile, then recover and run generators off the carbon monoxide produced: CO2 + C > 12 CO. Or pump in water; H2O + C > Co + H2. Both could be called "Rice Producer Gas". Any remnants of the pile would contain the trace minerals which could all be returned to the land for reincorporation by the plants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Like your shop 

Dave
    Thanks
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    What ultimately is the mulch used for? Burned in a "co-generation" plant, compressed into fire logs, shipped elsewhere for ground cover? I wouldn't think it could be made into paper after partially decomposing and getting dirt or rocks mixed in.

Some decades ago, a huge rice hulls pile burned for months up north towards Chico. I thought it would have been neat to cover the pile with sheet steel and pump CO2 deep into the pile, then recover and run generators off the carbon monoxide produced: CO2 + C > 12 CO. Or pump in water; H2O + C > Co + H2. Both could be called "Rice Producer Gas". Any remnants of the pile would contain the trace minerals which could all be returned to the land for reincorporation by the plants.

They have 8 grinders with 6 running all the time producing 800-1000 yards of mulch an hour each. 12 Tractor trailers with live floors that haul it. 14 - 25 ton excavators, half a dozen track loaders, 12 wheel loaders all running 50 hrs. a 5 day week. ALL for ground cover. lol

The longest they had a fire burn was a week and that was with 2 excavators and 1 track loader fighting it. During the day they would get it out and at night it would spark back up.

Now a couple of the big grinders will burn 50 gals each an hour when they are lugging hard. here is a video of one of them in action.

Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000

Post Thanks / Like

You have dream job.
    My father talked me out that work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Do agree with use your nose and have water for fires 🔥.

Most think of shop. But have a good truck is great 👍 Every think you in one spot and someone else pays the taxes.

I had idea at one time of putting a evaporate cooler on truck too since gets 114°F where I live. Nice sea breeze as you welded.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist