Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit O' Scarfing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bit O' Scarfing

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    ... I think some of the best torch work I've seen these days is that fella, IC Welds, on UTube. A real master at it. He's a rig welder, and does it day-in-day-out. A total artist.
    He is more of an air arc guy but yes... he is a master at it! I also enjoy watching Curtis from Cutting Edge Engineering... Aussie channel dedicated to heavy earth moving machine repairs and anytime he needs to part cilinders and such... air arc comes out!

Your work looks good Samm... cannot be a total expert at EVERYTHING....

Mikel

2. Likes MinnesotaDave, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And the rain delays continue

Name:  IMG_5022.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  278.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5023.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  325.3 KB The water hazardName:  mutley.gif
Views: 588
Size:  9.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where a tractor bucket load of gravel would be nice........

Post Thanks / Like

And the rain delays continue
    Got rained out here too... just after I spotted a launched bearing on the fertilizer spreader.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe some concrete

Post Thanks / Like

The Anti Plasma Dood goes over to the Darkside.

In the ongoing disaster of converting an old ramp.....................I ran out of Acetylene over the weekend. No choice but to go to plasma.

Name:  chute63.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  242.4 KB

Actually...........it sorta rocked No preheat, no metal too hot to handle after cutting(within reason, don't stick your tongue on it) Lickity split fast for cuts I don't really need to be perfect. I've lost all pride of workmanship on this project.........it's been going that badly

8. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got into another rebuild project on the fertilizer spreader and was thinking I could have used your scarfing tip to remove the last 50 butchered patchup jobs. Ended up using the plasma as well... even my cheapy Chinese one comes in very handy at times. Over 2 inches of rain last night and more today... making it hard to get a crop in the ground...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

The Anti Plasma Dood goes over to the Darkside.

In the ongoing disaster of converting an old ramp.....................I ran out of Acetylene over the weekend. No choice but to go to plasma.

Name:  chute63.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  242.4 KB

Actually...........it sorta rocked No preheat, no metal too hot to handle after cutting(within reason, don't stick your tongue on it) Lickity split fast for cuts I don't really need to be perfect. I've lost all pride of workmanship on this project.........it's been going that badly
    Get your eyesight back and practice a bit with plaz, and you will hardly ever light an O/A torch. I have the Hypertherm 65 and use it for stuff up to 1/2" thick and gouging and washing old welds, etc. I use drag tips most of the time with straight edges and jigs to make it easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Get your eyesight back and practice a bit with plaz, and you will hardly ever light an O/A torch. I have the Hypertherm 65 and use it for stuff up to 1/2" thick and gouging and washing old welds, etc. I use drag tips most of the time with straight edges and jigs to make it easy.
    For years, I've used it for sheet metal.

Name:  chute64.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  213.9 KB This BTW, was the beginning of my problems I figured it would be easier to split the old ramp in half,, and cut it down to desired width. I could have just cut the end off, and replaced the angle iron on the new width. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to shoot myself in the foot. Splicing that diamondplate was a nightmare......................warped up like a BANANA

I tell K'kins that my mind doesn't work like it used to. She never agrees..............awful nice of her I guess.

Instead of using short welds to splice the sheet..............I DO A FULL LENGTH WELD ON THE SEAM.Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 456
Size:  13.7 KB

First off.....................I've not done any work on this stuff in a dog's age. I forgot that you have to do SHORT welds. Stitch weld this stuff if it doesn't have to hold fluids.

Then..............even with a slight gap, I can't really see the joint (remember I'm running flux core.....dragging which makes it a bit hard to follow a tiny joint). I got a section of weld that went off towards Arizona

The icing on the cake..........the damn welder is running even worse. Have to crank it up hot enough to do close to 1/4 material to keep it from arbitrarily breaking the arc...........then run like Hell.

Acts like you're letting go of the trigger. This is on top of the weird wire feed speed variations. THEN IT'S GOT A NEW SYMPTOM........................THE TIP IS STAYING SOMEWHAT HOT AFTER YOU RELEASE THE TRIGGER. It will throw a substantial spark when you put it down on the steel after you finish using it.

The repair kit on Ebay includes a new thermistor, transistor, and some sort of relay (possibly the contactor relay??) Dood that sells the stuff says this is the most common fault with the Hobarts. Might be worth the $26 to get the kit. Can't really afford a new welder after overpaying for that damn disc mower.

Originally, I balked at the cost of a Lincoln machine over 2 decades ago...........I bought the original Hobart instead(which died), and now have bought a second Hobart(which is dying). Chances are, the Lincoln would have been the better buy. I haven't saved a dime buying 2 Hobarts over the years

I have a copyright on "Moron"

12. Likes bigfoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Job Is Jinxed

Name:  chute65.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  187.0 KB

Less than a second........the blink of an eye.

In the process of heat shrinking this POS ramp to straighten it. Needed to hit a high spot with heat, and peen it with a hammer. Somehow............picking up the hammer, or positioning the torch for the heat........the flame passed over the hammer hand.

Ran in the house(scared witless I might add) and held it under the cold water tap for about 3-4 minutes. Took a look at it, and saw no blistering. Got some gauze, and slathered the unburned skin with Neosporin, then taped the gauze over the damn thing.

Bit o' pain, and that's about it so far. Figure that might just be the end of the work day. I tried to run the torch again, and just the heat reflecting back off the metal caused some bodacious pain.

Been a dogs age since there was a Bier Nacht(It's that damn Krone mower) around here............this might just be the day for it. Besides.........doing any further work today just might allow some dirt to enter the bad area. Don't need any damn infections.

I figure if it shows any sign of change, might just hie off to the doc to see what to do with it.

14. Likes 52 Ford, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the big takeaway is.................DON'T FORGET, OR SKIP, WEARING THOSE GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH HEAT. Gloves on............wouldn't have been any burn. They don't do ya any good laying on the welding table.

16. Likes 52 Ford, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Job Is Jinxed

In the process of heat shrinking this POS ramp to straighten it. Needed to hit a high spot with heat, and peen it with a hammer. Somehow............picking up the hammer, or positioning the torch for the heat........the flame passed over the hammer hand.

Ran in the house(scared witless I might add) and held it under the cold water tap for about 3-4 minutes. Took a look at it, and saw no blistering. Got some gauze, and slathered the unburned skin with Neosporin, then taped the gauze over the damn thing.

Bit o' pain, and that's about it so far. Figure that might just be the end of the work day. I tried to run the torch again, and just the heat reflecting back off the metal caused some bodacious pain.

Been a dogs age since there was a Bier Nacht(It's that damn Krone mower) around here............this might just be the day for it. Besides.........doing any further work today just might allow some dirt to enter the bad area. Don't need any damn infections.

I figure if it shows any sign of change, might just hie off to the doc to see what to do with it.
    I did the same thing probably 35 years ago. Took a long time to heal. Every year the scar gets smaller but it's still there. Mine was on the left hand, started wrinkling and blistering almost immediately. Good excuse for beer night as alcohol is a good disinfectant, maybe not so much if taken internally.

18. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see that Sam. That is going to be a long slow healing process. Keep it as clean as you can.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

OUCH! Wasn't smart, but I bet it smarted!

21. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it certainly took balls to post that picture.

Maybe it's time to step away from trying to do everything yourself.

It's not easy but there comes a time when you need to admit that you've lost a few steps And need to back away.
    Especially with your health problems.

Burns are the worst kind of pain.

Hoping for a quick healing period for you.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

He just needs to get his eyes fixed and remember that ppe is not an option but an important step in completing hot work.
    Then he'll be good to go

24. Likes John T, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks painful 😕 😢 😬

Dave

This Job Is Jinxed

Post Thanks / Like

The real problems started this morning I ain't ambidextrous

Ever try wipin' your rear end with your left hand??

27. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Da that looks painfull, hope you get full healing and no infection. I have done surface burns but nothing that big. Your in for misery for a while. you have mentioned your sight, a friend of mine just had cataract surgery were they put new lenses on, went from pop bottle bottom glasses still not being able to legally drive, to reading glasses for close work. i have worn glasses since i was 15 and was a tad jealous. Id give up most of my concrete to see better.
    Last edited by idacal; 06-04-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

29. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Job Is Jinxed

Ouch!!! I know that hurts...and it will for a week or 2...A torch literally blew up in my hands 30 years ago...for 3 continuos weeks i had tremendous pain...I never felt more pain than that in my life..never went away completely til 2 months later...I still got scars on my hands...not a lot of fun...I went back to work 15 days after it happened just so I could keep my mind off the pain...the areas between my fingers took longest to heal...I managed to keep my hands clean enough that neither one got infected and was still pretty productive. I just blocked out the pain in my mind and kept workin through it.

Be safe Sam and heal well.

Popeye

31. Likes farmersammm, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The real problems started this morning I ain't ambidextrous

Ever try wipin' your rear end with your left hand??

Everyday.... but I'm left handed.lmao.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

33. Likes farmersammm, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch!!! I had a big spatter ball from flux-core hardfacing wire end up in my boot and caused a 3rd degree burn on my ankle. I went to the Medi-center and they put a cooling gel on it plus dressing and said I need to come back every day to get it re-applied for about a week and a half. They said the last thing you want is a scab on your ankle. It heeled fantastically. Cold or better yet ice water for several minutes (10-15 for a bad burn) is the only thing to put on a burn initially. You have to be really careful with what you put on a burn. One of the worst things is butter as some ill informed people have suggested in the past. You don't want an infection and you want your skin to breath. For burns on fingers or less serious burns, the freezing burn spray works good. Burns were covered in my apprenticeship. They said if the burn is over a large area, or hard to reach to soak in cold water, take the person into the shower and turn the cold water on.

35. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Ouch!!! I had a big spatter ball from flux-core hardfacing wire end up in my boot and caused a 3rd degree burn on my ankle. I went to the Medi-center and they put a cooling gel on it plus dressing and said I need to come back every day to get it re-applied for about a week and a half. They said the last thing you want is a scab on your ankle. It heeled fantastically. Cold or better yet ice water for several minutes (10-15 for a bad burn) is the only thing to put on a burn initially. You have to be really careful with what you put on a burn. One of the worst things is butter as some ill informed people have suggested in the past. You don't want an infection and you want your skin to breath. For burns on fingers or less serious burns, the freezing burn spray works good. Burns were covered in my apprenticeship. They said if the burn is over a large area, or hard to reach to soak in cold water, take the person into the shower and turn the cold water on.
    Dave, we're changing the gauze about 3 times a day to keep it from sticking to the wound. Each time, including when I first dressed the burn, it's packed in Neosporin.......I mean full tilt slathered on. And I run it under a good blast of water to keep it clean after bandages removed.

The actual pain started today. Bad when your hand is at your side, not very bad when the hand is elevated. More skin died during this period. The dead patch covers the entire back of the hand from knuckles to wrist. Won't try to peel it off.......I figure it's protecting whatever's left underneath it. The doc can handle that.

The bleeding started today. Nothing horrible.......mostly little beads of blood coming out of the skin that's left.

I suppose I got real lucky. The next layer of skin seems to be intact, and the pain tells me that the nerves are functioning.

Got a docs appointment on Monday. I don't see any need to go running off to an ER at this time. Just keep an eye on it for any really bad changes I guess.

I recall trying to move the torch off to the side while I was doing something with the hammer, and it didn't move..........or jerked somehow. I'm thinking I may either have been standing on the gas hose, or somehow pulled the gas hose with some part of my body. That damn heating torch has about an 18-20" gooseneck, plus the handle. Being in my left hand, which isn't coordinated well, probably didn't help I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iamsteelworker View Post
    everyday.... but i'm left handed.lmao.

Sent from my sm-n950u using tapatalk
    that's a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Likes IAMsteelworker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunday's Words For The Day

Fentanyl
    &
    Debridement

All that dead tissue covering the burn started worrying me Saturday night. It was getting very strange looking, and starting to smell.

We took off in the morning today for the only burn unit in the State, which is located in Tulsa, and checked into the ER.

They looked at it, decided it wasn't as bad as it could be, then hooked up an IV.

About 10cc of the Fentanyl, and it was ready for removing the necrotic tissue. They take a wad of wet gauze, and scrub it off...........pulling skin off that won't come free with the scrubbing. The skin underneath looked like raw hamburger.

I was pleasantly surprised by the pain killer. Didn't feel weird, and was ready to hit the road almost immediately. Felt nothing but a bit of pressure while they worked on it.

THE PAIN HIT ON THE WAY HOME I mean pain like I've never felt. Stopped to buy some Tylenol, and kept on keepin' on.

I suppose it was the trauma involved with abrading that raw skin. WOW!!!!!!!!

Now, at this hour, believe it or not..............almost no pain at all. Amazing.

Good choice to go to the ER. I knew it was the hospital that has the burn unit. They're used to seeing burns.

Wrapped it up in guauze, with some sort of gel pad directly over the raw meat...........contains antibiotic.

Next stop, an appointment with the folks in the actual burn unit.

I figure had I just done the docs appointment tomorrow, they'd just have routed me to Tulsa anyway. Saved a day, and got the healing process started.