Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 111

Thread: Bit O' Scarfing

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    I had called the clinic here on Friday, and described the burn. The physicians assistant told me that it wasn't gonna look like it looked on Friday, and it was gonna occur pretty fast. Man was she right. It's a whitish pink bloody mess, and the hand has swollen a bit. The dead skin turned black, then grayish. Helluva deal. All the epidermis on the back of the hand is gone..................all of it. One side to the other, knuckles to wrist. What a friggin' mess.

  2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  3. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    2,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Ah man, just looking at that picture... nasty, nasty nasty.

    So easy to do, as well, in spite of what anyone says.

    Sam you should get those eyes seen to while you have a bit of downtime...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  4. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  5. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Sorry to hear about your injury. I try to keep a burn kit near the welding area, and maintenance shop. The water jel has worked the best of anything Ive used.

    Name:  IMG_3138.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  105.8 KB

    Looks like I need to order a new kit.

    Name:  IMG_3137.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  60.2 KB





    Looks like the military uses it too.

    Name:  burndressing.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  70.2 KB




    Getting the eyes done might be a good idea.

    Good luck, and keep the hand clean.
    Last edited by albrightree; 06-06-2022 at 12:43 PM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

  6. Likes 52 Ford, farmersammm, Lis2323, farmall liked this post
  7. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Jeez. THAT is rough. I was plasma cutting some steel last month, and somehow during repositioning it the part, it hit my bicep. I got a 2nd degree burn from that. Took probably 3 weeks to heal up.

    Gloves suck... burns suck a LOT worse.

    Speaking of which - I'm going to order new gloves right this second.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 06-06-2022 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

  8. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  9. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Pitman PA
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I had called the clinic here on Friday, and described the burn. The physicians assistant told me that it wasn't gonna look like it looked on Friday, and it was gonna occur pretty fast. Man was she right. It's a whitish pink bloody mess, and the hand has swollen a bit. The dead skin turned black, then grayish. Helluva deal. All the epidermis on the back of the hand is gone..................all of it. One side to the other, knuckles to wrist. What a friggin' mess.
    Sam....

    When my hands were burnt from the torch blowin up the physical therapy people gently peeled the dead skin evry day after soakin in a whirlpool bath with some type of solution in it, (epsom salts maybe) they told me if it wouldn't have been both hands I could have done it myself but both were burnt with one huge blister even between the fingers and some 3rd degree where the skin was like charcoal and my wife couldnt stomach doin it. All they took off was the dead skin, if it didnt peel off easily they left it there til the next day. It didnt hurt at all and the lady told me if it causes pain leave it there til the next day.


    When I did this they took me into the emergency room immediately (they dont mess around with burn cases at all) and I did the paperwork in the bed..well they did it cause I couldn't write anything...they had my hands in a pan of ice cubes and in about 5 minutes I had warm water instead of ice...thats how much heat was coming off my hands...they kept puttin more ice cubes in a clean pan til it cooled off a bit and kept me overnight. Never in my life did I feel pain like that for such a long long time.

    So ivf you arent doin physical therapy thats what you can do to help it along...they said the dead skin can cause infection.

    Good luck and best wishes...keep it clean


    Popeye

  10. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    This is where we're at right now.....................................

    Name:  chute66.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  220.7 KB After the gauze is removed by Dr. K'kins

    Name:  chute67.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  167.9 KB Bit o' meat.

    Name:  chute68.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  189.4 KB The stuff they sent us home with from the ER. The silver ointment is gobbed on, then the gel pad, then the non stick overlay. Then wrap it all up again.

    Name:  chute69.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  191.9 KB Would have been worse the first few days before the ER if I hadn't of had this little gem. Minions come through for ya

    Next is the follow up appointment where they tell me I'm gonna have hairy knuckles for the rest of my life

  12. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  13. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    This is where we're at right now.....................................

    Name:  chute66.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  220.7 KB After the gauze is removed by Dr. K'kins

    Name:  chute67.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  167.9 KB Bit o' meat.

    Name:  chute68.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  189.4 KB The stuff they sent us home with from the ER. The silver ointment is gobbed on, then the gel pad, then the non stick overlay. Then wrap it all up again.

    Name:  chute69.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  191.9 KB Would have been worse the first few days before the ER if I hadn't of had this little gem. Minions come through for ya

    Next is the follow up appointment where they tell me I'm gonna have hairy knuckles for the rest of my life
    Gotta say, minions are the chit. I saw a some folk in Australia (Project Brupeg on YouTube) paint up their sandblasting pressure pot like a minion. I don't have any vertical tank air compressors... Makes me want to buy one, just so I have something to paint up like a minion. Honestly, even if you don't have kids, the Minion movies are pretty funny. I plan on getting into SCUBA soon, and I might just have to have some Minion themed tanks. Maybe a cover that goes over the tanks...

    Anyway, Sam, glad you're healing up. Is the gauze sticking when you take it off? THAT is the worst part for me... When you pull the bandage off and it pulls on the wound. Ouch!

    A few years back, I got bit by some sort of poisonous spider (no - I wasn't playing with it) and got a weird spot on my arm. I think the medical term is "necrosis". Basically, it hurt a little, itched, and the skin died and looked awful. Looking now, I'm not sure where that bite was... somewhere on my left forearm, I think - It's mixed in amongst a bunch of other scars... Anywho, my doctor told me to use bacitracin instead of Neosporin. Apparently it works better at killing bacteria and keeping wounds clean. I recommend you look into that. I also recommend that you ONLY buy the "plus pain relief" version of Neosporin and Bacitracin. I've found that it actually does make a big difference. Doesn't numb a cut, but it keeps it from stinging. Most of my cuts are on my hands and I only reach for a bandaid and boo-boo cream if it's bad enough I'm leaving a trail of blood drips. The "plus pain relief" stuff seems to keep cuts (edit: OR BURNS) from aching or stinging if you bend your and and the cut (edit: OR BURN) gets different pressure on it (if that makes any sense at all).

    By the way, TIG gloves are basically the only work gloves I wear. I'm probably just as "anti-glove" as you. I do a lot of blacksmithing and welding (mostly 75% stick welding under 125A) and my (Harbor Freight Vulcan) TIG gloves have been awesome. I've has my current pair long enough to wear a hole through the thumb, index, and middle finger on the left glove (I usually only wear a left glove).

    Here's a coupon for Harbor Freight Vulcan products with NO EXPERATION DATE.


    If you need it in the future and forget what thread it's on, just message me and I'll send it to you. Name:  20_percent_off_1512911277.6814.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  99.9 KB

  14. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Also, your hand might look a bit better if you heat up a skillet to a medium high heat, add a splash of olive oil and cook for maybe 5-7 minutes. I recommend a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Going for original recipe here.

  15. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    That gel looks like it might be the same stuff they put on my ankle. It wasn't a very big area that got burnt is probably why it only had to be changed daily.

    Back to the topic of gouging, you can gouge with pretty good precision with an air arc. They work good for finding flaws that showed up on X-rays. Worked in a shop that built gas processing equipment. The skids would get covered in checker plate and you'd gouge out sections where the bases for the vessels were welded on to the beams underneath. Was pretty easy to cut the checker plate out without gouging into the beam below it.

  16. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    I hate burns, and I've had plenty of them, some of them severe. Get thee to the burn unit, and do exactly what they tell you to do- I will be surprised if you aren't looking at a skin graft situation. That silver sulfadiazine cream is the best stuff I have ever used on a burn, so I am glad to see they have you using it.

    In all seriousness- and I know you say that you know what happened and why- but I'd be taking a hard look at reconstructing just what happened, if nothing else to make sure you didn't have some kind of equipment failure. That's the kind of injury it's going to take a while to recover from.

    And quit messing around: go on and get your eyes fixed.

  17. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Showed up for the appointment at the burn center.

    Gal scrubs the wound with the equivalent of a Scrunge pad. I mean that F'n hurt like the original burn.

    She's just scrubbin' away, and I ask her.............."You ever had this done to you???" She laughs.........."I had a small 2nd degree burn once, and it wasn't too bad" I told her that I was getting real close to getting off the stool she had me sitting on, and going extremely NEGATIVE. Didn't phase her a bit.

    One of K'kins friends is a nurse, who considered working in a burn unit, but only lasted a few days because of what she had to look at, and had to do. I guess some folks enjoy inflicting pain, or just plain ol' don't care(shrug) Bottom line, I guess it has to be done.............

    Get through this sht, the little tub is red with blood................. Nurse Cratchet puts a towel on the raw meat, and I sit there waitin' for the Doc.

    He takes one look............says it's looking fine, and ought to be done in about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (barring complications) Coulda knocked me over with a feather!!!! I'm one lucky bstd.

    Said the initial cold water flood for many minutes + the Neosporin, saved it from further damage. Thank God this happened in the yard, instead of off in the field somewhere. I had access to running water.

    Their biggest source of "customers" according to the Doc....................welders, refinery workers(Tulsa and Ponca City have large refineries), and idiots that get drunk and fall in a campfire. That sorta blew me away.

    Anyways...........they slapped a silver infused adhesive pad on it, wrapped it in gauze, and sent me on my way. Haven't felt this relieved since the "good news" about the post Cyberknife CT scan. That Doc said that he disagreed with the radiologist saying that the mass had increased in size. According to the guy............the larger diameter is showing the killed cells on the perimeter of the original tumor. The mass will probably always be there.................but hopefully(pending a PET Scan) it's just dead tissue. I took this with mixed emotions..................looks good, but might not be good.........that was my takeaway, although the Doc said "good news" when he walked in the exam room.

  18. Likes AlabamaJoe, Munkul, 52 Ford, labparamour liked this post
  19. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    When we walked in, there was this dood with a cast lookin' thing from his hand to his elbow, on his way out. Nurse Cratchet says WITH A LAUGH, " I thought it looked like it would need surgery"

    Takes all types

  20. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  21. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    I suppose this thread has turned into a PSA, and why not?? It's a good subject to talk about. Do's, don'ts, and healing tips.

    As I mentioned............the first cleaning at the doctor's office was a fiasco. The pain was absolutely unbearable..................I mean unbearable.

    This has to be repeated, at home, for around 2 weeks if all goes well. A once a day torture.

    We tried it on Thursday evening, and it was a nightmare. I'm not a tough guy that digs on pain for breakfast. We had to stop........it was that bad.

    I got on the phone Friday to the burn center, NOT THE OUTPATIENT CLINIC I'VE BEEN REFERRED TO. Both are divisions of the same hospital.

    The tech, or nurse, was appalled that I had not been given pain meds when leaving the outpatient clinic, nor had any been used during their in-house first cleaning.

    She told me she would call over there and tell them that I NEED a pain med. I told the lady, when I still had her on the phone, that I didn't need something strong enough to zap me..........just enough to take to kill the edge, and only for cleaning. I can take the pain through the day......it's just the cleaning that is killing me. She was looking at a photo of the burn from the ER, attached to my chart, and said I had a very painful, although "good" burn, due to the fact that the skin bed was still intact. Meaning that, by the looks of the photo, none of the nerves would be expected to have been irreparably damaged. She also said that the burn center, as a matter of SOP, always sends a patient on his/her way with a supply of meds, and a prescription. I guess it's pretty well known that this sht is Godawful painful.

    She said to call back if I didn't hear from the outpatient clinic.

    After about 3hrs, I called her back. The outpatient clinic never called. She was not happy. She got them on the internal phone system, and got the damn woman who'd cleaned the burn on Wed. I was transferred to that number.

    The damn woman said "You never asked for a pain medication, even after the cleaning", and........."Oh yeah, we've already sent out a scrip to the WalMart pharmacy" in our town.

    I'm not there to argue, or raise Hell. No point in saying "WTF didn't you call me, and tell me the scrip had been sent?" We were getting real late in the day, facing another cleaning here at the house, and didn't know what we were gonna do.

    5mg Hydrocodone/325mg Tylenol. Two pills, one hour before cleaning the burn. God, did it make a difference! I don't need the crap for the rest of the day, just the cleaning.

    Let's Talk About Soap

    You have to use an antibacterial soap...........no getting around that.

    But there's a ton of choices out there.

    DO NOT USE ANY SOAP THAT HAS FRAGRANCE This is almost impossible to find. The woman at the burn center told me to find Dial, White antibacterial bar soap. Almost no fragrance, and a low alcohol content.

    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  8.8 KB

    The difference is like night, and day. This stuff doesn't burn you to the ground, simply on contact.

    With the Codeine, and the right soap, both of us were able to do a very good job of MODERATELY HARD SCRUBBING with a wadded gauze patch. Took all of the slough off, with manageable pain. You can't heal, if you can't clean. The pain has to be manageable.

    I feel that the two women at the outpatient clinic have some problems. I think they enjoy inflicting pain, I truly do. There's no other explanation for such a thing. I know that this sort of sadism exists, but always thought it was in extreme cases, and certainly not in the medical profession.

    By "both women", I mean the lady that did the scrubbing, and the lady that did the dressing. (I told her, while she was putting the dressing in place, that Nurse Cratchet had almost killed me...............she says "I trained her to do her job", as if I'd insulted the poor lady)

    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

    During the initial ER visit, I was tended to, by a young woman with bright purple hair, wearing a "rainbow pride" surgical mask Crazy lookin' gal

    She was awesome. Did her job with extreme care, and sympathy....................... The first debriding to remove the dead skin. Scrubbed like a banshee, AFTER ADMINISTERING FENTANYL. She knew, and the attending physician knew, that this was some serious painful stuff.

    When on the phone today, I asked the burn center lady if it was possible to leave a letter of commendation for her, and the Doc, which would become part of their HR packages. She said it was indeed possible...........just drop by the ER, tell them the day/hr I was there, so they could tell me their names, and hand it over. Have to be a fill in the blank letter

    You don't know good care, until you've experience lousy care.

  22. Likes labparamour, Munkul liked this post
  23. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I suppose this thread has turned into a PSA, and why not?? It's a good subject to talk about. Do's, don'ts, and healing tips.

    As I mentioned............the first cleaning at the doctor's office was a fiasco. The pain was absolutely unbearable..................I mean unbearable.

    This has to be repeated, at home, for around 2 weeks if all goes well. A once a day torture.

    We tried it on Thursday evening, and it was a nightmare. I'm not a tough guy that digs on pain for breakfast. We had to stop........it was that bad.

    I got on the phone Friday to the burn center, NOT THE OUTPATIENT CLINIC I'VE BEEN REFERRED TO. Both are divisions of the same hospital.

    The tech, or nurse, was appalled that I had not been given pain meds when leaving the outpatient clinic, nor had any been used during their in-house first cleaning.

    She told me she would call over there and tell them that I NEED a pain med. I told the lady, when I still had her on the phone, that I didn't need something strong enough to zap me..........just enough to take to kill the edge, and only for cleaning. I can take the pain through the day......it's just the cleaning that is killing me. She was looking at a photo of the burn from the ER, attached to my chart, and said I had a very painful, although "good" burn, due to the fact that the skin bed was still intact. Meaning that, by the looks of the photo, none of the nerves would be expected to have been irreparably damaged. She also said that the burn center, as a matter of SOP, always sends a patient on his/her way with a supply of meds, and a prescription. I guess it's pretty well known that this sht is Godawful painful.

    She said to call back if I didn't hear from the outpatient clinic.

    After about 3hrs, I called her back. The outpatient clinic never called. She was not happy. She got them on the internal phone system, and got the damn woman who'd cleaned the burn on Wed. I was transferred to that number.

    The damn woman said "You never asked for a pain medication, even after the cleaning", and........."Oh yeah, we've already sent out a scrip to the WalMart pharmacy" in our town.

    I'm not there to argue, or raise Hell. No point in saying "WTF didn't you call me, and tell me the scrip had been sent?" We were getting real late in the day, facing another cleaning here at the house, and didn't know what we were gonna do.

    5mg Hydrocodone/325mg Tylenol. Two pills, one hour before cleaning the burn. God, did it make a difference! I don't need the crap for the rest of the day, just the cleaning.

    Let's Talk About Soap

    You have to use an antibacterial soap...........no getting around that.

    But there's a ton of choices out there.

    DO NOT USE ANY SOAP THAT HAS FRAGRANCE This is almost impossible to find. The woman at the burn center told me to find Dial, White antibacterial bar soap. Almost no fragrance, and a low alcohol content.

    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  8.8 KB

    The difference is like night, and day. This stuff doesn't burn you to the ground, simply on contact.

    With the Codeine, and the right soap, both of us were able to do a very good job of MODERATELY HARD SCRUBBING with a wadded gauze patch. Took all of the slough off, with manageable pain. You can't heal, if you can't clean. The pain has to be manageable.

    I feel that the two women at the outpatient clinic have some problems. I think they enjoy inflicting pain, I truly do. There's no other explanation for such a thing. I know that this sort of sadism exists, but always thought it was in extreme cases, and certainly not in the medical profession.

    By "both women", I mean the lady that did the scrubbing, and the lady that did the dressing. (I told her, while she was putting the dressing in place, that Nurse Cratchet had almost killed me...............she says "I trained her to do her job", as if I'd insulted the poor lady)

    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

    During the initial ER visit, I was tended to, by a young woman with bright purple hair, wearing a "rainbow pride" surgical mask Crazy lookin' gal

    She was awesome. Did her job with extreme care, and sympathy....................... The first debriding to remove the dead skin. Scrubbed like a banshee, AFTER ADMINISTERING FENTANYL. She knew, and the attending physician knew, that this was some serious painful stuff.

    When on the phone today, I asked the burn center lady if it was possible to leave a letter of commendation for her, and the Doc, which would become part of their HR packages. She said it was indeed possible...........just drop by the ER, tell them the day/hr I was there, so they could tell me their names, and hand it over. Have to be a fill in the blank letter

    You don't know good care, until you've experience lousy care.
    Ya know... I've found that girls with purple, blue, and pink hair are usually really nice. LOL

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  24. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Ya know... I've found that girls with purple, blue, and pink hair are usually really nice. LOL

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I find all girls really nice in general.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  26. #66
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Apparently it's a life-time of putting up with us that makes them really miserable....
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  27. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    can't name names, but an old girlfriend/longtime friend tried pushing her husband off a cliff with her jeep cherokee.

    and he was a high up H*lls Angel....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  28. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
  29. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Winter Haven ,Fl.
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Apparently it's a life-time of putting up with us that makes them really miserable....

  30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  31. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I suppose this thread has turned into a PSA, and why not?? It's a good subject to talk about. Do's, don'ts, and healing tips.

    As I mentioned............the first cleaning at the doctor's office was a fiasco. The pain was absolutely unbearable..................I mean unbearable.

    This has to be repeated, at home, for around 2 weeks if all goes well. A once a day torture.

    We tried it on Thursday evening, and it was a nightmare. I'm not a tough guy that digs on pain for breakfast. We had to stop........it was that bad.

    I got on the phone Friday to the burn center, NOT THE OUTPATIENT CLINIC I'VE BEEN REFERRED TO. Both are divisions of the same hospital.

    The tech, or nurse, was appalled that I had not been given pain meds when leaving the outpatient clinic, nor had any been used during their in-house first cleaning.

    She told me she would call over there and tell them that I NEED a pain med. I told the lady, when I still had her on the phone, that I didn't need something strong enough to zap me..........just enough to take to kill the edge, and only for cleaning. I can take the pain through the day......it's just the cleaning that is killing me. She was looking at a photo of the burn from the ER, attached to my chart, and said I had a very painful, although "good" burn, due to the fact that the skin bed was still intact. Meaning that, by the looks of the photo, none of the nerves would be expected to have been irreparably damaged. She also said that the burn center, as a matter of SOP, always sends a patient on his/her way with a supply of meds, and a prescription. I guess it's pretty well known that this sht is Godawful painful.

    She said to call back if I didn't hear from the outpatient clinic.

    After about 3hrs, I called her back. The outpatient clinic never called. She was not happy. She got them on the internal phone system, and got the damn woman who'd cleaned the burn on Wed. I was transferred to that number.

    The damn woman said "You never asked for a pain medication, even after the cleaning", and........."Oh yeah, we've already sent out a scrip to the WalMart pharmacy" in our town.

    I'm not there to argue, or raise Hell. No point in saying "WTF didn't you call me, and tell me the scrip had been sent?" We were getting real late in the day, facing another cleaning here at the house, and didn't know what we were gonna do.

    5mg Hydrocodone/325mg Tylenol. Two pills, one hour before cleaning the burn. God, did it make a difference! I don't need the crap for the rest of the day, just the cleaning.

    Let's Talk About Soap

    You have to use an antibacterial soap...........no getting around that.

    But there's a ton of choices out there.

    DO NOT USE ANY SOAP THAT HAS FRAGRANCE This is almost impossible to find. The woman at the burn center told me to find Dial, White antibacterial bar soap. Almost no fragrance, and a low alcohol content.

    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  8.8 KB

    The difference is like night, and day. This stuff doesn't burn you to the ground, simply on contact.

    With the Codeine, and the right soap, both of us were able to do a very good job of MODERATELY HARD SCRUBBING with a wadded gauze patch. Took all of the slough off, with manageable pain. You can't heal, if you can't clean. The pain has to be manageable.

    I feel that the two women at the outpatient clinic have some problems. I think they enjoy inflicting pain, I truly do. There's no other explanation for such a thing. I know that this sort of sadism exists, but always thought it was in extreme cases, and certainly not in the medical profession.

    By "both women", I mean the lady that did the scrubbing, and the lady that did the dressing. (I told her, while she was putting the dressing in place, that Nurse Cratchet had almost killed me...............she says "I trained her to do her job", as if I'd insulted the poor lady)

    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

    During the initial ER visit, I was tended to, by a young woman with bright purple hair, wearing a "rainbow pride" surgical mask Crazy lookin' gal

    She was awesome. Did her job with extreme care, and sympathy....................... The first debriding to remove the dead skin. Scrubbed like a banshee, AFTER ADMINISTERING FENTANYL. She knew, and the attending physician knew, that this was some serious painful stuff.

    When on the phone today, I asked the burn center lady if it was possible to leave a letter of commendation for her, and the Doc, which would become part of their HR packages. She said it was indeed possible...........just drop by the ER, tell them the day/hr I was there, so they could tell me their names, and hand it over. Have to be a fill in the blank letter

    You don't know good care, until you've experience lousy care.

    So the take home message here is that, rather than just make a simple phone call to the outpatient center to say “the daily debridement is extremely painful, is there a protocol to help with this?” To which they would have responded “You seemed to tolerate the initial procedure well, but we will be glad to phone a script in for you” , you instead called someone who doesn’t know anything at all about your case and delayed the whole process by about half a day. As a bonus, you got to make the worst kind of insinuations about the people who gave you care and claim that as always you know more about their job than they do.

    Par for the course.

  32. Likes John T liked this post
  33. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    7,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    So the take home message here is that, rather than just make a simple phone call to the outpatient center to say “the daily debridement is extremely painful, is there a protocol to help with this?” To which they would have responded “You seemed to tolerate the initial procedure well, but we will be glad to phone a script in for you” , you instead called someone who doesn’t know anything at all about your case and delayed the whole process by about half a day. As a bonus, you got to make the worst kind of insinuations about the people who gave you care and claim that as always you know more about their job than they do.

    Par for the course.
    Well at least he got another " look at me" multipage thread out of it.

    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  34. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    7,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I find all girls really nice in general.
    That's good to know.

    Lakeisha is looking for a friend.


    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  35. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  36. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    That's good to know.

    Lakeisha is looking for a friend.


    guess i could have worded that better...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  37. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post
  38. #73
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange, TX
    Posts
    17,607
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Good golly Samm! So sorry to hear (see) your misfortune and hoping for as quick and uncomplicated a recovery as possible.

    That said, Judy, RN says that as much as the Doc and Miss Rainbow deserve words of commendation, Nurse Cratchet and her "trainer" should be reported as she (Judy) is convinced they didn't follow protocol prior to, during and following treatment with regard to pain management. She (again, Judy) practically stood over my shoulder while typing this to make sure I told you how she feels about the matter.

    Heal quickly.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

    Save Second Base!

  39. Likes 52 Ford, farmersammm liked this post
  40. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    8,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Well it certainly took balls to post that picture.

    Maybe it's time to step away from trying to do everything yourself.

    It's not easy but there comes a time when you need to admit that you've lost a few steps And need to back away.
    Especially with your health problems.

    Burns are the worst kind of pain.

    Hoping for a quick healing period for you.
    Worst burn ever had little pain. The size of my watch, 1/4" deep, yanking the watch off, I saw only bone.
    Somebody said the nerves were killed, reducing pain.
    Last edited by Willie B; 06-12-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  41. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    8,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bit O' Scarfing

    I'm not one qualified to give safety advice. A week ago Thursday I wanted to cut a grade 70 chain. Shoes I was wearing wouldn't do well with plasma or torch, I chose a cut off disc. I mounted it on the grinder, safety glasses, check, face shield, check, Gloves...30 feet away, I only got one chain link to cut.

    I held the grinder away from my face, squeezed the trigger. 1/4 second later, BANG! Disc disintegrated! I looked at my left hand, blood everywhere!

    6 hours later, I had 11 stitches, a disjointed group of people had tweezered out 1000 bits of disc debris. finger is broken.
    No mention of treatment of the broken bone, the concern was infection from the tiny fragments they didn't get out.

    Here's a picture Friday morning a week + later. swelling still significant.

    Name:  hand.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  57.2 KB

    ER was a circus midday Thursday. They didn't have a room for me, only a gurney in the hall. I'll estimate 20 employees, 35 if I count security. Only one had a nametag said MD. Only a few said RN. endless variety of name tags.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  42. Likes farmersammm liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,664,608,209.73302 seconds with 13 queries