+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to me mud cleaning system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

new to me mud cleaning system

I have been collecting part and pieces for this for a couple of years. have a military trailer that I'm going to use as the base platform. it will be powered by a 4bt cummins running a triple gear pump Im in the process of sandblasting the trailer its not this one but its a https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ater-524902704 I bought surplus. and we are bending up the panels for the water tank that's always fun with the present prices, only messed up one sheet, should hold about 800 gallons of drill fluid. made it out of 10 gauge. the end caps are going to have the support bends not lining up just for ease of fitting. I dont want to try to fit a compound corner, it will be hauled empty. the shaker and cones will sit directly on top of the tank. Im will try the 16'5 tires but I think they are hard to get, and getting hydraulic pumps and components right now is just a frustrating game. it looks like I can get 19.5 rims that will mount up on the 6 lug hubs, but we will see. Im hoping to stay below 14000 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

2. Likes whtbaron, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to me mud cleaning system

Finished sandblasting the trailer, least as good as im going to, of course started raining while i was finishing o well should hold better than up flakey rust. I used that green diamond blasting sand way less dust. had borrowed my brothers breather and helmet. Finally broke down and bought my own i hate borrowing equipment. I had machined a pump to hydraulic motor addaptor in the last couple of weeks in the few spare hours. It was a pump that did not have a standard adaptor mount availabe. Anyway here is some more pictures
    the sand of course got wet on the trailer was able to blow it off a few hours later
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

4. Likes 12V71, albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going to be doing a lot of painting with 2 part paints (clova prime and armor shield 839) so far I have been using my big airless that we used on house but it seems like Im dumping as much on the ground as on the equipment from overspray. when the paint is over a 100 a gallon seems like a lot of waste Im trying to find a better spraying system have been looking at the 5 stage turbines but dont know if they would push this thick of paint? I could run it off my shop air but it seems to have a lot of water always. so need a separator dryer system. I have 2 drill rigs and multiple pieces of equipment to do so want to set up so its a more bearable job.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you always work barefoot in the shop ?

Name:  Capture543.JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  91.5 KB
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

7. Likes 52 Ford, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, no that thats my kids, I would be crying like a baby in 30 seconds out there, they just pull out the metal shavings and keep going. i can yell and holler or let them learn the way i did. they have way tougher feet than I ever did I also dont ride a bike in the shop

9. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, dhem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For equipment like a pressure pot. I have big one but bought a cheap one from autoparts store (ATD) to use epoxy, bought it for the parts and was gonna put a good gun on it and thought I would try the cheap thingy,,,, hola,,, spray wonderful and thought it was a temporary deal but 30 years later still using it.
    Different types of sand for different jobs, rust removal, paint etc and makes a huge difference on efficiency. 2nd,,,, forget all those wi[es, cleaners and solvent's, sandblast, use maroon Scotchbrite and scuff after blasting, blow off with air and paint but,,, DONT skip the scuff.
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-05-2022 at 08:54 AM.

11. Likes idacal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have made a fair amount of progress on this but mainly stuff that doesn’t show up. but I’m also modifying a drill rig tower making a new mounting base.trying to build a small rig with decent top head torque I got a rig off of Ritchie bros that was a geo tech rig and am taking off all the stuff we don’t need one thing was a large rotator for angle drilling litterly turn the tower horizontal sideways. Anyway new mounting plate 26x75 with about 50 20mm threaded holes in it took 2 taps to get them all in

Post Thanks / Like

ment to include some pics i got this rig (and the other one for parts) for some of the tight locations that we have been having to deal with. shortened the tower and should have a lot more maneuverability. I don't have a good pic of the rotator Im hoping to run 10' rods the goal is to fit underneath the clients trees, so there is not so much site damage trying to fit a big rig in. there is a bout 4 square miles of wells in boise going dry, subdivisions built in the 70s and 80s, when all the fields around were flood irrigated so shallow wells. and that's what I'm putting this together for. anyway here is some picts
    we are getting the cummins mounted on the mud system hopefully next week. should have some pictures of that when it gets back to my yard got crap scattered everywhere.
    Last edited by idacal; 07-29-2022 at 05:35 PM.

14. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, 12V71, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

made some progress this week finished the aluminum slug a few weeks back and got the rotator removed that was a bear anyone need a multi ton rated rotator? lol anyway its BSPP fittings and I have a bunch ordered but knowbody stocks caps and plugs around here thats why nothings plugged. set the flat plate on the tower, now building the stops and cylinder travel eyes. love learning metric Im back to carrying the whole batch of tools to take one fitting off, my eyes have not adjusted to the right size on mm yet anyway here is some pics

16. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, Don52, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a dum dum today welded up the cylinder mounts and built them identical rather than mirrored there goes an hour and half welding, air arcing apart, and rewelding and now a buch of air arc strikes to fill.i havemt personally done fab for a while and am really rusty.

18. Likes 12V71, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there done that.

20. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The shaker I’m using is a balanced elliptical it has 3 shaker motors but the screens actually will run uphill gives more time to dry out the cuttings
    the one on the blue system is a linear shaker.
    and yes Im trying to run the shakers with a hydraulic motor don't know if it will work. on big set ups having a gen set is fine but Im trying for a way smaller drilling package with excellent sand cleaning. dont care about a little less efficiency on power usage.
    Last edited by idacal; 08-11-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

got the drill rig tower in place and the traveling cylinder pin driven in. now I need to bolt up all the slides hook up all the hoses fix the ones that broke in all this work and be another few hours closer toward done

23. Likes whtbaron, farmersammm, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking at the bicycle and the checkerplate on the ground... I don't think I've ever seen it that coarse before...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

25. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

those are plastic traction mats for dealing with mud in the winter https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/gro...iABEgK5_PD_BwE one of the many reasons I hate drilling in the winter but its quicker to throw those down before I'm stuck than dig the rig out afterwards. as for the bike I still have kids in the 6 and 8 range and they are all over everything i goes that's how I learned. thankfully bicycles haven't go up much in price in 30 years, when I got my first one,I remember it being 87 dollars in 1988. one gets ran over here and there. just part of it.
    Last edited by idacal; 08-11-2022 at 11:12 PM.

27. Likes whtbaron, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would think the Canadian in the crowd would have recognized those, but I've used them. Enjoy the bicycle stage while you can... cars have definitely gone up in price. I still miss Lego...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

29. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    got the drill rig tower in place and the traveling cylinder pin driven in. now I need to bolt up all the slides hook up all the hoses fix the ones that broke in all this work and be another few hours closer toward done
    Are you cutting down steel, or have a source for ready made? I really like the built in breakout tools.

Post Thanks / Like

If your screen deck is horizontal I'm not sure you'll get much material movement with the circular motion of the vibrator. most flat deck screens have an elliptical stroke at an angle whereas sloped ones have a circular stroke. You may have to mount the vibrator at an angle from horizontal to try to impart some forward movement of the sand.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

This is the shaker I’m using its factory built Just got rid of the 2000 lbs base designed for off shore use it was way overbuilt for the work I’m doing https://www.slb.com/drilling/drillin...-motion-shaker

Post Thanks / Like

made some progress this weekend moved this rig into the shop to get out of the sun, my other rigs sure will not sit sideways in the shop lol, reinstalled the top head, that's the orange thing sitting on the tower, for those that don't know thats what actually rotates the drill stem. I can't lower it completely down waiting on a hydraulic fitting. bspp fittings rock, I'm finally getting a fairly decent supply of jic, now i get to start buying enough bspp to get by . I have another shelving unit coming just to store all the fittings and adaptors and washers I have been stocking up on.
    today I realized I now have a fairly large issue either I did it or it was done before I bought it (joys of auctions) but I have a oil control valve that is cracked looks like it got crushed when the mast set down in the wrong place, it sits under the mast where the hoses are hanging loose toward the crown. the part number matched up with a rexroth but i will see if its a 6 month lead time or not anyway here is some pics its cracked across the plug in the middle with the paint still on it
    Last edited by idacal; 08-14-2022 at 09:00 PM.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought i was totally dead in the water over that cracked valve housing then I remembered that the rotator that I pulled off had a large controller valve on it to, exact same part number!! couldn't believe it anyway got it all changed out then because I shortened the tower 19' all the hoses had to be shortened and the cable track also. that was a full day of fun. anyway still need to find a place to install a winch.
    now Im starting to work on a rod handling system for it Im not getting younger so spinning and dragging stem is not getting any easier. its going to be a try it and see what works build, fully expect to build it multiple times before its right.

36. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

made some progress over that last few weeks in the spare hours and a lot over this long weekend. I have finally sat down and started learning qcad so I can send files over to the plasma guy. they can now at least get the gist of what I want. worked on a whole lot of little stuff, and now am waiting on more parts, some to be cut, some ordered. its a party. anyway here is some pictures its just small stuff that will not make sense until its all together. made two of the blocks with the radiuses basically I'm attempting to build a rod gripper. and the large l shaped bracket will travel up and down 5' on the side of the rig. some stuff will deffinetly need redone just seeing if its going to work.
    anyway what is a good countersink for plastics the one I use chirps and chatters and doesn't make a nice smooth cut?
    also Im going to need to rotate the arm about 250 degrees I would like to not use a slewing drive because of speed and cost. any ideas on a linkage that can be cylinder driven?

Post Thanks / Like

made a little progress this weekend wanted to make a trunion style cylinder mount for this gripper because i going to need few farther down the road and its easier to throw away small pieces of metal rather than big ones. these are plugs of t 1 steel 3.5 diameter drilled the center hole close to size then made an arbor to machine the outside and fase the one side. I then slid the faced side in and gripped against the outside to bore them. After inside and outside were to diameter put a center mark on them and roughed out the trounion arms turned them between centers for the final truing up of the arms. wasn't perfect but turned out pretty good. turned a .100 off of the hydraulic cylinder for shoulders and clamped them on. split them in the band saw.
    Last edited by idacal; 09-11-2022 at 09:34 PM.

39. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist