Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    I have a rebel 215 ic and I am wanting to upgrade from the tig torch that comes with it. is it possible to do just lift arc without a foot pedal or button activated torch with this machine? If so what would be a good recommendation and how would i be able to setup a torch like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    10,179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAK0730 View Post
    I have a rebel 215 ic and I am wanting to upgrade from the tig torch that comes with it. is it possible to do just lift arc without a foot pedal or button activated torch with this machine? If so what would be a good recommendation and how would i be able to setup a torch like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    See if SSC controls has a Touch4 strap on finger controler for the ESAB 215c.

    https://ssccontrols.com/product/touch4/
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  3. Likes BIGMAK0730 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    im not necessarily looking for an alternative to a foot pedal, im more so just wanting to use a different torch and simply do lift arc for the time being. i appreciate the suggestion though!
    hobbyist

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    9,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    I’ve never tried the tig this way but you might be able try using tig in stick mode. As I recal Stick goes live once set. You’ll loose ramp up/down or upslope downslope etc what ever the start and stop assist is called and any other speacial features built into tig mode.

    If you try it, let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-08-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    West coast of Florida
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    Can you do this with your current torch? If so then a new torch would be no different. I'll recommend a CK brand torch with superflex hoses
    and of course one that will handle the amperage requirements of the machine. All CK torches are rated at 100% duty cycle.

    There isn't any "setup" of the torch other then correctly connecting it, the lift arc is a feature of the machine.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    9,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Can you do this with your current torch? If so then a new torch would be no different. I'll recommend a CK brand torch with superflex hoses
    and of course one that will handle the amperage requirements of the machine. All CK torches are rated at 100% duty cycle.

    There isn't any "setup" of the torch other then correctly connecting it, the lift arc is a feature of the machine.
    The tig feature of the machine offers 2T & 4T. I rarely ever use tig so the following is what I think I remember of how the two options work.

    With 2T you have to hold the button to start the arc by lift start and continually hold the button until you wish to terminate the arc and when you let off the button it will taper off the arc at the timed settings you have it calibrated to. Gas is controlled via manual valve at the torch.

    With 4T you momentarily push the button to initiate the arc then lift the torch and the arc starts with set perimeters. Then when you wish to terminate the arc you push the button one more time momentarily and the arc is extinguished at the settings you programmed into the machine.

    Personally Id think the 4T option would work the best as you could control the arc taper up and down at the beginning and ending of the weld. You could even leave the amphenal from the original torch plugged into the machine so you have the start/stop button while having the new torch hooked up to the power lugs and gas.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-08-2022 at 07:09 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  8. Likes LtBadd liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAK0730 View Post
    I have a rebel 215 ic and I am wanting to upgrade from the tig torch that comes with it. is it possible to do just lift arc without a foot pedal or button activated torch with this machine? If so what would be a good recommendation and how would i be able to setup a torch like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I had an ESAB Rebel to try to learn TIG. It could do only lift arc and it was the most frustrating experience to learn tig. i sold it for a HF start. anyway you will need at least a foot pedal or finger button to start the process/initiate before u can touch the electrode to the metal. Its not like a stick where its “on” as soon as u put on the electrode or mig where u can just push the trigger.

  10. Likes shovelon liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    West coast of Florida
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The tig feature of the machine offers 2T & 4T. I rarely ever use tig so the following is what I think I remember of how the two options work.

    With 2T you have to hold the button to start the arc by lift start and continually hold the button until you wish to terminate the arc and when you let off the button it will taper off the arc at the timed settings you have it calibrated to. Gas is controlled via manual valve at the torch.

    With 4T you momentarily push the button to initiate the arc then lift the torch and the arc starts with set perimeters. Then when you wish to terminate the arc you push the button one more time momentarily and the arc is extinguished at the settings you programmed into the machine.

    Personally I’d think the 4T option would work the best as you could control the arc taper up and down at the beginning and ending of the weld. You could even leave the amphenal from the original torch plugged into the machine so you have the start/stop button while having the new torch hooked up to the power lugs and gas.
    Good point, I have only used lift start several times and even then it was just to see what it was like, that was many moons ago. I really have no use for it in what I do/weld
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,665,102,462.64806 seconds with 13 queries