Thread: Wireless Tig Pedal problem

Post Thanks / Like

Wireless Tig Pedal problem

I just got the NOVA wireless tig pedal directly from AHP. My welder (1 year old 201xd) is running on a dedicated 220v line. Normally, I get 205 amps from the machine, but when I plug in the wireless pedal it drops to 140. If I unplug the 110v power cable on the pedal receiver I get 170 amps. When it's plugged in it instantly drops to 140.

This makes no sense. Anyone know whats going on? Or who I can ask about this?

I made a video of the problem in action

https://youtube.com/shorts/nYOxRSMzw9I?feature=share

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wireless Tig Pedal problem

It has to be autodetecting something wrong. It could be something like a wrong pin set, or the new wireless foot pedal is screwed up.

Have to contact the manufacturer for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    It has to be autodetecting something wrong. It could be something like a wrong pin set, or the new wireless foot pedal is screwed up.

Have to contact the manufacturer for that one.
    That's what I assumed. I know the machine has auto detection for input voltage, but I've never seen anything change when switching control units. I regularly switch between the Tig Control button and foot pedal with no problems, so the adapter for the wireless pedal receiver has got to be the culprit. Unfortunately I found this around 6pm on a Friday, so I've had to go the whole weekend without tech support. I was thinking about replacing the 7pin connector with one from a standard 4T button that came with my machine. Maybe that'll help narrow it down?

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt replacing the connector will do anything because it's the pins themselves.

The other thing it could be, as I have all miller welders, does it save the settings for external attachments. Meaning can you adjust the range as you could normally and it stores it as memory on the welder or in the wireless control.

Maybe the 140? Amps setting is a signal of where the wireless foot pedal is adjusted from the wireless controller itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the 140? Amps setting is a signal of where the wireless foot pedal is adjusted from the wireless controller itself?
    This makes the most sense, but there's no way to adjust the wireless pedal or controller that's obvious to me. You're probably right, though. That is exactly what it's acting like.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like it's programmed at 140, or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the record, AHP emailed me this morning around 7am and we're working on a solution. Their tech support is fantastic. This is the second time I've dealt with them, first time was a bad button board on the welder and I had a new one in a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a new pedal in two days. Same problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inchfab View Post
    Got a new pedal in two days. Same problem.

Sounds like bad machine.

Time to call customer service again.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Sounds like bad machine.

Time to call customer service again.
    The machine works perfectly with the regular nova pedal and the variable Tig Control button. What could be wrong with it that this wireless pedal is exasperating?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like there could be a programming error on the welder that is causing it.

It could be something very stupid as a bad ground on the board that controls the tig circuit as it cant figure out it's own problem when the wireless foot pedal is connected.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like there could be a programming error on the welder that is causing it.

It could be something very stupid as a bad ground on the board that controls the tig circuit as it cant figure out it's own problem when the wireless foot pedal is connected.
    That sounds like the case to me as well. Somehow the systems are not compatible with each other and AHP should rectify the problem. Don't let them just brush you off.

Looks like Nova outright copied the USA made SCC Controls system and make them in China.
    https://ssccontrols.com/product/rft1...-foot-control/
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like the case to me as well. Somehow the systems are not compatible with each other and AHP should rectify the problem. Don't let them just brush you off.

Looks like Nova outright copied the USA made SCC Controls system and make them in China.
    https://ssccontrols.com/product/rft1...-foot-control/
    They're arranging a return and refund.

Buying 500 dollar pedal for an 800 dollar welder sounds like a lesson I probably needed to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying 500 dollar pedal for an 800 dollar welder sounds like a lesson I probably needed to learn.

IF this in indeed the case, kudos to you for realizing and admitting it.

So many whiners out there these days…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

They're arranging a return and refund.

Did Nova tell you what the problem is? That would hound me for life.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Nova tell you what the problem is? That would hound me for life.
    Nope. They've never seen this problem before and have no idea.

(We have tried nothing and are all out of ideas, lol)

I'm going to chalk it up to the pedal costing almost as much as the welder and get on with my day. Maybe next year it'll work with a new machine.