+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

Post Thanks / Like

TIG setup for esab rebel 215

I have a rebel 215 ic and I am wanting to upgrade from the tig torch that comes with it. is it possible to do just lift arc without a foot pedal or button activated torch with this machine? If so what would be a good recommendation and how would i be able to setup a torch like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG setup for esab rebel 215

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAK0730 View Post
    I have a rebel 215 ic and I am wanting to upgrade from the tig torch that comes with it. is it possible to do just lift arc without a foot pedal or button activated torch with this machine? If so what would be a good recommendation and how would i be able to setup a torch like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    See if SSC controls has a Touch4 strap on finger controler for the ESAB 215c.

https://ssccontrols.com/product/touch4/
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes BIGMAK0730 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

im not necessarily looking for an alternative to a foot pedal, im more so just wanting to use a different torch and simply do lift arc for the time being. i appreciate the suggestion though!
    hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never tried the tig this way but you might be able try using tig in stick mode. As I recal Stick goes live once set. You’ll loose ramp up/down or upslope downslope etc what ever the start and stop assist is called and any other speacial features built into tig mode.

If you try it, let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-08-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you do this with your current torch? If so then a new torch would be no different. I'll recommend a CK brand torch with superflex hoses
    and of course one that will handle the amperage requirements of the machine. All CK torches are rated at 100% duty cycle.

There isn't any "setup" of the torch other then correctly connecting it, the lift arc is a feature of the machine.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Can you do this with your current torch? If so then a new torch would be no different. I'll recommend a CK brand torch with superflex hoses
    and of course one that will handle the amperage requirements of the machine. All CK torches are rated at 100% duty cycle.

There isn't any "setup" of the torch other then correctly connecting it, the lift arc is a feature of the machine.
    The tig feature of the machine offers 2T & 4T. I rarely ever use tig so the following is what I think I remember of how the two options work.

With 2T you have to hold the button to start the arc by lift start and continually hold the button until you wish to terminate the arc and when you let off the button it will taper off the arc at the timed settings you have it calibrated to. Gas is controlled via manual valve at the torch.

With 4T you momentarily push the button to initiate the arc then lift the torch and the arc starts with set perimeters. Then when you wish to terminate the arc you push the button one more time momentarily and the arc is extinguished at the settings you programmed into the machine.

Personally I’d think the 4T option would work the best as you could control the arc taper up and down at the beginning and ending of the weld. You could even leave the amphenal from the original torch plugged into the machine so you have the start/stop button while having the new torch hooked up to the power lugs and gas.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-08-2022 at 07:09 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

8. Likes LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAK0730 View Post
    I had an ESAB Rebel to try to learn TIG. It could do only lift arc and it was the most frustrating experience to learn tig. i sold it for a HF start. anyway you will need at least a foot pedal or finger button to start the process/initiate before u can touch the electrode to the metal. Its not like a stick where its “on” as soon as u put on the electrode or mig where u can just push the trigger.

10. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The tig feature of the machine offers 2T & 4T. I rarely ever use tig so the following is what I think I remember of how the two options work.

With 2T you have to hold the button to start the arc by lift start and continually hold the button until you wish to terminate the arc and when you let off the button it will taper off the arc at the timed settings you have it calibrated to. Gas is controlled via manual valve at the torch.

With 4T you momentarily push the button to initiate the arc then lift the torch and the arc starts with set perimeters. Then when you wish to terminate the arc you push the button one more time momentarily and the arc is extinguished at the settings you programmed into the machine.

Personally I’d think the 4T option would work the best as you could control the arc taper up and down at the beginning and ending of the weld. You could even leave the amphenal from the original torch plugged into the machine so you have the start/stop button while having the new torch hooked up to the power lugs and gas.
    Good point, I have only used lift start several times and even then it was just to see what it was like, that was many moons ago. I really have no use for it in what I do/weld
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist