Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 103

Thread: Shop Made Tools

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    I don't think you can wrap your lanyard around the bars but you can use a large carabena that will. You can't just go welding a bit of round bar or other random steel for a fixing point, it's gotta be rated hardware. Also rust is not permitted. If you fab one up yourself it should be painted or hot dipped immediately and kept in clean condition thereafter, no storing out in the yard next to the tractor with the busted thingy.
    Nice cage by the way. Don't worry about the missus and the tree, it's the thought that counts

  2. Likes 52 Ford, farmersammm liked this post
  3. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    I don't think you can wrap your lanyard around the bars but you can use a large carabena that will. You can't just go welding a bit of round bar or other random steel for a fixing point, it's gotta be rated hardware. Also rust is not permitted. If you fab one up yourself it should be painted or hot dipped immediately and kept in clean condition thereafter, no storing out in the yard next to the tractor with the busted thingy.
    Nice cage by the way. Don't worry about the missus and the tree, it's the thought that counts
    The big carabiners are called rebar hooks.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  4. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Here's a picture of one of my lanyards. The big hooks are rebar hooks

    They open up 3".

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  5. Likes Woznme liked this post
  6. #79
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    7,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Suitable for large bed posts....
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  7. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford, Lis2323 liked this post
  8. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Suitable for large bed posts....
    Get your mind out of the gutter young man!!

  9. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
  10. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    The big carabiners are called rebar hooks.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    why is that ?
    :

  11. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    why is that ?
    Cause they're designed to be hooked onto ladder rungs. Make sense?

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  12. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Cause they're designed to be hooked onto ladder rungs. Make sense?

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I knew that…..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  13. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    I don’t bother giving mine names …







    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  14. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Lifting eye for heavy vises…










    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  15. Likes whtbaron, C4Mac liked this post
  16. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Snipes..












    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  17. Likes 12V71, C4Mac liked this post
  18. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Shop Made Tools

    Mini platform for sheet metal nibbler…








    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  19. Likes Munkul, albrightree liked this post
  20. #88
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Snipes..












    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have eyes on the end of mine too, I did an inframe overhaul on a D10 Cat engine once and the only way to torque 4 of the main cap bolts (200LB FT then 120 degrees) was with a 3/4" ratchet and a come-along. Another one was a nut on a particular scraper model that had to tighten to 3600 LB FT, that one was tightened with Mr. Autocrane with a shackle in the eye of the shopbuilt (homemade) plate wrench I had. Used a 2,000 LB hydraulic scale to check torque. 1,000LBS of pull was the "Bingo" number with that wrench.

  21. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, Munkul liked this post
  22. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I knew that…..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You'd think the little hooks would be called rebar hooks and the big hooks would be... ladder rung hooks? Railing hooks?

    Or just call them big hooks and little hooks, but then you don't get to sound like a pro

    Like calling gears "the big one and the little one" instead of a bull and pinion.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  23. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I have eyes on the end of mine too, I did an inframe overhaul on a D10 Cat engine once and the only way to torque 4 of the main cap bolts (200LB FT then 120 degrees) was with a 3/4" ratchet and a come-along. Another one was a nut on a particular scraper model that had to tighten to 3600 LB FT, that one was tightened with Mr. Autocrane with a shackle in the eye of the shopbuilt (homemade) plate wrench I had. Used a 2,000 LB hydraulic scale to check torque. 1,000LBS of pull was the "Bingo" number with that wrench.
    If I was working on big stuff like that, where I was needing over 1,000ft-lb on a regular basis - I'd pick up one of these:https://shop.snapon.com/product/Manu...plier/MTMC5100

    25:1... so something like 200ft-lb in to get that 5,100 out. That isn't bad at all.

    Here's a picture from the Snap-off catalog. Sorry it's not flat. No table in front of the the porcelain throne (that's where I keep my tool catalogues.)

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  24. #91
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    If I was working on big stuff like that, where I was needing over 1,000ft-lb on a regular basis - I'd pick up one of these:https://shop.snapon.com/product/Manu...plier/MTMC5100

    25:1... so something like 200ft-lb in to get that 5,100 out. That isn't bad at all.

    Here's a picture from the Snap-off catalog. Sorry it's not flat. No table in front of the the porcelain throne (that's where I keep my tool catalogues.)

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    You have a price list? that will fill the throne bowl in a hurry. I have a couple of smaller multipliers, but if the crane works for the once a year thing, that's fine with me.
    Incidentally I was looking at a Snap on cordless Electric Multiplier today, but $5k for only 1,000 LB ft was stupid. So I bought a new A/C refrigerant recycler. The old Robinair was getting tired and it's that time of year.

  25. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  26. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    You have a price list? that will fill the throne bowl in a hurry. I have a couple of smaller multipliers, but if the crane works for the once a year thing, that's fine with me.
    Incidentally I was looking at a Snap on cordless Electric Multiplier today, but $5k for only 1,000 LB ft was stupid. So I bought a new A/C refrigerant recycler. The old Robinair was getting tired and it's that time of year.
    I can't think of what it's called right now, but you can get a hydraulic tool that's designed for torqueing bolts. You set the relief valve to open at the desired torque. I think you can get pneumatic ones, too (I think they use a clutch, though).

    It's basically a hydraulic motor on the back of a torque multiplier, though.

    Edit:typo

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  27. #93
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I can't think of what it's called right now, but you can get a hydraulic tool that's designed for torqueing bolts. You set the relief valve to open at the desired torque. I think you can get pneumatic ones, too (I think they use a clutch, though).

    It's basically a hydraulic motor on the back of a torque multiplier, though.

    Edit:typo

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Yep, I used a couple different types, mostly the air type, set the regulator with a calibrated gauge and go til it stalls. Those were handy on mining trucks with 28 nuts per wheel.

  28. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  29. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Ever heard of a torque shear bolt? I think they have a trade name... can't think of it right this second.

    The end of the bolt opposite the head has splines on it and that's used instead of a reaction arm. Once the nut is run onto the bolt tight enough, the spline end shears off. Used in construction.

    https://www.amazon.com/Makita-6922NB...59783388&psc=1

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  30. #95
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ct.
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Ever heard of a torque shear bolt? I think they have a trade name... can't think of it right this second.

    The end of the bolt opposite the head has splines on it and that's used instead of a reaction arm. Once the nut is run onto the bolt tight enough, the spline end shears off. Used in construction.

    https://www.amazon.com/Makita-6922NB...59783388&psc=1

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I’ve seen bolts that worked like that used on fittings for
    ductile pipe. Only problem is if you have to readjust the
    position of the fitting, you’re back to torquing by feel or
    getting a torque wrench ( which never happens)
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

  31. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  32. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    I’ve seen bolts that worked like that used on fittings for
    ductile pipe. Only problem is if you have to readjust the
    position of the fitting, you’re back to torquing by feel or
    getting a torque wrench ( which never happens)
    Seems to me that they're used as a replacement to hot riveting on structural steel components. Like you see on old train trestles.

    Speaking of hot riveting... You've got a guy with a rivet forge, he heats the rivets up, grabs them with tongs and throws them to a guy with a metal bucket who has to catch them and pass them to the guys that are actually doing the riveting.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  33. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Seems to me that they're used as a replacement to hot riveting on structural steel components. Like you see on old train trestles.

    Speaking of hot riveting... You've got a guy with a rivet forge, he heats the rivets up, grabs them with tongs and throws them to a guy with a metal bucket who has to catch them and pass them to the guys that are actually doing the riveting.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Cool. pics!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  34. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  35. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    2,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Just a couple of mine... the jig tables and welding carts I've posted enough of already...

    Site work tote box
    Name:  2020-08-27 16.57.28.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  111.0 KB

    material prep table from stainless offcuts (still need to make a 2nd one, it's incredibly handy)
    Name:  2021-01-30 19.35.17.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  112.2 KB

    jib beam with hydraulic slew for the helehandler
    Name:  2021-09-06 13.43.53.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  125.6 KB
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  36. Likes whtbaron, albrightree, Lis2323, C4Mac, LtBadd liked this post
  37. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Mini platform for sheet metal nibbler…




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great idea ! I have a Bosch nibbler like that and I always struggle with small sheet metal parts . If I make one, I will need to make it easily removeable, because I often use the nibbler on the outside sheet metal on buildings.

    Regards
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

  38. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  39. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shop Made Tools

    [QUOTE=Munkul;8868738]Just a couple of mine... the jig tables and welding carts I've posted enough of already...



    material prep table from stainless offcuts (still need to make a 2nd one, it's incredibly handy)
    Name:  2021-01-30 19.35.17.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  112.2 KB


    What are the extra bits of tube on the bottom for ?

    Cheers
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,657,002,407.56274 seconds with 15 queries