Thread: Smoker build question

Post Thanks / Like

Smoker build question

Im going to build an off set smoker, and Ive got an old air compressor tank that 14x24 that Im going to use for the fire box. Ive found an old diesel tank that is 19 wide by 36 long.

My first question is this; do yall think 19 is to narrow for a cooking surface? Im planning on cooking just one piece of meat at a time, so the the biggest piece of meat would be either a rack of ribs, or a brisket.

The next question and MOST importantly is, IF Im able to secure this old diesel tank, how would you go about ensuring any and all diesel particles, fumes, and residue is removed so that its safe to cook with.

Thank you in advance. 😀

Name:  DA869C46-BA64-4DAE-9E4B-8D954426B5DA.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  128.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoker build question

19 is big enough. The some tragers are that diameter and hold a brisketName:  516AEDD3-F832-42D8-987A-4E753C1B5BF1.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  113.4 KBName:  F67FE30E-DC63-471A-8805-3B1C4A8AA25D.jpeg
Views: 366
Size:  183.4 KBmy cooler is 19 deep I believe
    Last edited by motolife313; 06-13-2022 at 12:23 AM.

3. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    19 is big enough. The some tragers are that diameter and hold a brisketName:  516AEDD3-F832-42D8-987A-4E753C1B5BF1.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  113.4 KBName:  F67FE30E-DC63-471A-8805-3B1C4A8AA25D.jpeg
Views: 366
Size:  183.4 KBmy cooler is 19 deep I believe
    I'm hate to tell you this, but...... the stove pipe on your smoker is crooked.

Might wanna have yer levels checked.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlinderGrinder92 View Post
    Im going to build an off set smoker, and Ive got an old air compressor tank that 14x24 that Im going to use for the fire box. Ive found an old diesel tank that is 19 wide by 36 long.

My first question is this; do yall think 19 is to narrow for a cooking surface? Im planning on cooking just one piece of meat at a time, so the the biggest piece of meat would be either a rack of ribs, or a brisket.

The next question and MOST importantly is, IF Im able to secure this old diesel tank, how would you go about ensuring any and all diesel particles, fumes, and residue is removed so that its safe to cook with.

Thank you in advance.

Name:  DA869C46-BA64-4DAE-9E4B-8D954426B5DA.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  128.0 KB
    Be VERY CAREFUL when cutting or welding on fuel tanks!

Drain every bit of fuel out of that tank. Might be some that you can't get out of the drain plug. Stick a hose in and suck the rest out. It doesn't taste great, but you get used to it. Man up. (Joke) Prolly best if you don't use you lighter as a light to see how much is left in there.

Anyway, get the fuel out, fill the tank with water (if I did my math right, a 19X36 inch cylinder is a like 10,200CI or about 45 gallons). Drain the tank and as it's draining, stick a torch in there. Filling it with water got all of the fumes out and sticking a torch in there will burn off the fumes as they're being created. Not fool proof, but it helps. A relatively high CFM purge with air (or better yet, inert gas) is a good idea.

Once you get it cut open, sandblasting would be a good idea. Otherwise sanding it with a DA sander or something would work. Cleaning with acetone or some other solvent afterward (isopropyl alcohol?). Wipe everything down throughly and blow off with compressed air. Be sure to do a "dry run" before you actually use the smoker to cook anything. That way you burn off any oil, paint, VOCs, etc that you don't want in food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I'm hate to tell you this, but...... the stove pipe on your smoker is crooked.

Might wanna have yer levels checked.

He basically copied a smoker that I made.
    The only difference is,

The exhaust pipe on mine is 100% Straight/plumb and level.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to make sure there is no residual diesel left after getting the tank cut open is to burn a fire in it. That will burn out any remaining remnants that may be left after purging the tank. If it was me I would use some sort of hardwood for this.