+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique welder

Post Thanks / Like

Antique welder

Name:  PXL_20220611_141939539.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  319.9 KB
    I have aquired this antique welder and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Kinda nervous to plug it in and try it out.Name:  PXL_20220611_141939539.jpg
Size:  319.9 KBName:  PXL_20220611_141942392.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  223.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Antique welder

Patent US1636266A

Inventor
    James W Wilkinson

Worldwide applications
    1925 US

Application US27762A events
    1925-05-04
    Application filed by James W Wilkinson
    1925-05-04
    Priority to US27762A
    1927-07-19
    Application granted
    1927-07-19
    Publication of US1636266A
    1944-07-19
    Anticipated expiration
    Status
    Expired - Lifetime

Description
    July 19 1927.
    J. WQWILKINSON ELECTRIC WELDING APPLIANCE Filed' May 4' 1925 Jive/7102',
    Patented July 19, 1927.
    UNITED STATES.
    JAM 38W. WILKINSON, OF KANSAS CITY, KANSAS.
    ELECTRIC WELDING APPLIANCE.

This invention relates to electric welding apparatus and has for one of its objects to produce a pair of coils, comprising an inductive resistance, said coils being so arranged in series in an alternating current circuit as to be variable to produce any desired reactance for welding purposes, and each of the lead lines from the source of alternating current energy being connected to oneof said coils so that upon change inthe direction of the current, it will pass through a coil before attaining the work or electrode respectively. By this means, that is passing the current through a resistance before it reaches the work, the voltage is lowered regardle'ss of the direction of flow of the current and splashing is avoided due to the fact that the voltage is under steady control for the production of an even arc.
    Another object is to roduce means operated by the ma netic e ect of the reactor for the agitation o a cooling medium surroundng the coils. A still further object is to produce automatic means for the interruption of the welding circuit upon the breaking or inter-' ruption of an auxiliary or shunt signal circult.
    A still further object is to produce a strong, durable and efiicient apparatus of. the character mentioned, and in order that it may be fully understood, reference is to be had to the accompanying drawing, in which: I
    Figure 1 is a side elevation of a reactor embodying the invention .and equipped with fluid agitators. [sic]
    Figure 2 is a section on the line IIII of Figure 1.
    Figure 3 is a section taken through the reactance coils to show...
    -------------------------------
    The above from Here

Considering its age, I'd suggest carefully cleaning the outside, opening it up, and looking at the conditions inside. Blow out loose dirt, check condition of insulation, look for loose connections and damage anything in the process; it may have greater value as a historic piece than for its ability to weld.

I wonder what the larger hole on the front lower right was for?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. It's yours to do as you please but my vote would be to just clean it up a bit and don't bother plugging it in.

Maybe disconnect the power cord so that no one else is tempted to do so.

As oldiron mentioned it probably has more value as a historic piece than its use as a welding machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Patent US1636266A

Inventor
    James W Wilkinson

Worldwide applications
    1925 US

Application US27762A events
    1925-05-04
    Application filed by James W Wilkinson
    1925-05-04
    Priority to US27762A
    1927-07-19
    Application granted
    1927-07-19
    Publication of US1636266A
    1944-07-19
    Anticipated expiration
    Status
    Expired - Lifetime

Description
    July 19 1927.
    J. WQWILKINSON ELECTRIC WELDING APPLIANCE Filed' May 4' 1925 Jive/7102',
    Patented July 19, 1927.
    UNITED STATES.
    JAM 38W. WILKINSON, OF KANSAS CITY, KANSAS.
    ELECTRIC WELDING APPLIANCE.

This invention relates to electric welding apparatus and has for one of its objects to produce a pair of coils, comprising an inductive resistance, said coils being so arranged in series in an alternating current circuit as to be variable to produce any desired reactance for welding purposes, and each of the lead lines from the source of alternating current energy being connected to oneof said coils so that upon change inthe direction of the current, it will pass through a coil before attaining the work or electrode respectively. By this means, that is passing the current through a resistance before it reaches the work, the voltage is lowered regardle'ss of the direction of flow of the current and splashing is avoided due to the fact that the voltage is under steady control for the production of an even arc.
    Another object is to roduce means operated by the ma netic e ect of the reactor for the agitation o a cooling medium surroundng the coils. A still further object is to produce automatic means for the interruption of the welding circuit upon the breaking or inter-' ruption of an auxiliary or shunt signal circult.
    A still further object is to produce a strong, durable and efiicient apparatus of. the character mentioned, and in order that it may be fully understood, reference is to be had to the accompanying drawing, in which: I
    Figure 1 is a side elevation of a reactor embodying the invention .and equipped with fluid agitators. [sic]
    Figure 2 is a section on the line IIII of Figure 1.
    Figure 3 is a section taken through the reactance coils to show...
    -------------------------------
    The above from Here

Considering its age, I'd suggest carefully cleaning the outside, opening it up, and looking at the conditions inside. Blow out loose dirt, check condition of insulation, look for loose connections and damage anything in the process; it may have greater value as a historic piece than for its ability to weld.

You mention a cooling medium. Is it full of Askarel? Carcinogenic oil once used as a coolant in transformers.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

You mention a cooling medium. Is it full of Askarel? Carcinogenic oil once used as a coolant in transformers.
    I didn't say it, the patent application did. Keep in mind that online information like this is often from scanning old documents with word recognition software, so errors often get introduced due to poor quality of the microfilm, the paper, or whatever. Also, the patent applications often contain lots of detail about ideas that are never implemented. Even sales documentation isn't always accurate, as production details can change. That said, your specific warning (as well as general warnings when examining anything unknown) should be heeded. I would like to see what the inside of the main box shows, but would generally recommend against trying to disassemble transformers, tightly-sealed internal boxes, components like selenium or silicon rectifiers (if working), even some tight connections or to stiff wiring, etc.
    I wonder when PCB's were first used as a cooling medium?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole:
    https://www.hazardouswasteexperts.co...r-end-of-life/

Post Thanks / Like

That cool. You going to put it on display
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great 👍

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk321 View Post
    Name:  PXL_20220611_141939539.jpg
Size:  319.9 KB
    I have aquired this antique welder and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Kinda nervous to plug it in and try it out.Name:  PXL_20220611_141939539.jpg
Size:  319.9 KBName:  PXL_20220611_141942392.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  223.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    That cool. You going to put it on display
    I'm not going to use this, I was more curious if anyone knew if it had any value? I'm sure the right collector would like it

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to plug it in, too old for me too trust. I was wondering if it had any value? Maybe the right collector would like it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk321 View Post
    I'm not going to plug it in, too old for me too trust. I was wondering if it had any value? Maybe the right collector would like it
    Maybe a hazmat depot…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Your worrying about transformer oil.
    The welder was made before transformer oil .
    Welding has more problems than transformer oil 🛢

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that is where the on/off switch went.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

If a guy was to hook it make sure its grounded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    If a guy was to hook it make sure its grounded.
    Absolutely.

I wouldn't send power to it unless I took it apart and checked the transformer for shorts and inspecting all of the insulation on the wiring.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to wear heavy rubber gloves if you touch it when it's energized.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say it, the patent application did. Keep in mind that online information like this is often from scanning old documents with word recognition software, so errors often get introduced due to poor quality of the microfilm, the paper, or whatever. Also, the patent applications often contain lots of detail about ideas that are never implemented. Even sales documentation isn't always accurate, as production details can change. That said, your specific warning (as well as general warnings when examining anything unknown) should be heeded. I would like to see what the inside of the main box shows, but would generally recommend against trying to disassemble transformers, tightly-sealed internal boxes, components like selenium or silicon rectifiers (if working), even some tight connections or to stiff wiring, etc.
    I wonder when PCB's were first used as a cooling medium?
    I don't know when they were first used. By 1974 Askarel was a thing of the past & young electricians were being cautioned about its hazard.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Your worrying about transformer oil.
    The welder was made before transformer oil .
    Welding has more problems than transformer oil ��

Dave
    The info I found said transformer oils were first used in 1929. I would be EXTREMELY CAREFUL about using compressed air also, it may be full of asbestos insulation like my old MID STATES machine, I had to open it up because of a switch problem & thought why not blow it out good while I have it ope, it got about 30 seconds of air before I saw what I had, shut it down & left the dirt.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 06-13-2022 at 08:44 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a fire retarded add to oil .
    It would have been great in the M4 tank.

The oil was used everywhere like cutting oil you used for drilling and threading.

It is very safe in side a transformer.
    It was used mush until 1950's

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The info I found said transformer oils were first used in 1929. I would be EXTREMELY CAREFUL about using compressed air also, it may be full of asbestos insulation like my old MID STATES machine, I had to open it up because of a switch problem & thought why not blow it out good while I have it ope, it got about 30 seconds of air before I saw what I had, shut it down & left the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I wouldn't want that thing on my property. Although garage fires are rare, if that thing burned in one, you would kiss everything you own goodbye. I don't see any air vents on it, so the likelihood it uses PCBs for cooling is very high. (Edit: The transformer could also just be filled with tar insulation, but for me the risk outweighs any benefit of ownership.)
    Last edited by Denis G; 06-14-2022 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Odds are the transformer hanging on pole has that oil too.
    Maybe your AC or drill press and list goes on.

Dave

I wouldn't want that thing on my property. Although garage fires are rare, if that thing burned in one, you would kiss everything you own goodbye. I don't see any air vents on it, so the likelihood it uses PCBs for cooling is very high. (Edit: The transformer could also just be filled with tar insulation, but for me the risk outweighs any benefit of ownership.)

Post Thanks / Like

Having something like that in storage or on display would cause no problem so long as it wasn't plugged in. It can't self-combust on its own, as oily rags can. The risk from "hazardous materials" and ""dangerous equipment", although sometimes real, can be grossly exaggerated. One needs to know what he has and understand the situation, whether it be concerning something like this, or a machine like a lathe, or something more common such as an automobile, the foods he eats and drinks, or the other compounds (e.g. drugs) he ingests. Those common ones, particularly the cars, alcohol and drugs, have killed and maimed far more people then old welding equipment.

25. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PCB activities was everything from 1950's to the 1990's.
    Most do not think of thread cutting oil having PCB in the oil. But one first places they put PCB in.

It is probably like Roundup a lot of smoke for law suits.
    What is far worse in Lead gasoline

Dave

Having something like that in storage or on display would cause no problem so long as it wasn't plugged in. It can't self-combust on its own, as oily rags can. The risk from "hazardous materials" and ""dangerous equipment", although sometimes real, can be grossly exaggerated. One needs to know what he has and understand the situation, whether it be concerning something like this, or a machine like a lathe, or something more common such as an automobile, the foods he eats and drinks, or the other compounds (e.g. drugs) he ingests. Those common ones, particularly the cars, alcohol and drugs, have killed and maimed far more people then old welding equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure disposal is the biggest issue if PCB insulating oils is inside. As long as it stays inside it is alright. If it get on the ground, shovel it up and pay to have it disposed of properly. Surely fire is a nonfactor. Those insulating oils are tested at several thousand volts.

I still would have no use for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't saying it might cause a fire, but if you had it in your garage and your garage went up in flames (for whatever reason), then the cost of cleanup from PCB-contamination could financially wipe you out if that was discovered. Maybe I'm superstitious, but that thing looks like bad mojo.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist