Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a new Multiprocess, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy a new Multiprocess, any suggestions?

I stopped by HTP Products today since they are relatively local and they were great. They don't have a showroom it's just an office/warehouse/service building but one of their techs spent a good 20 minutes walking through the whole place with me answering all my questions. I was really impressed with how far out of their way they went to help someone who hasn't even decided on what to buy yet and they were very upfront about what their machines would and wouldn't do. They even let me take a couple pictures which I will post here when I get home and get them off my phone. The one big takeaway from that visit was that I might be better off using a spool gun instead of an AC TIG for aluminum. I don't know if I like the European Dinse connectors they use but that's only from a replacement parts perspective but I saw how many parts they have there and it should be fine. They actually build their aluminum spool guns on site at that facility and it's a nice spool gun. It has wire speed adjustment at the gun which seems really convenient. Anyhow, I would be comfortable buying the HTP 220MTS that Oscar suggested but that Primeweld TIG machine that Louie pointed out has me thinking twice, I could just get that and a good dedicated MIG machine like the IRONMAN 240 which can be had for $1700 brand new right now. I had no idea it was going to be such a pain in the *** making this decision, I also haven't ruled out the ESAB 205ic because it has everything I'm looking for and an exceptional duty cycle. I'll be watching a ton of videos over the next couple of days but these are the three options I'm focused on right now. Thanks everyone for your input so far, I'm reading ALL of it and looking into ALL of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C4Mac View Post
    I stopped by HTP Products today since they are relatively local and they were great. They don't have a showroom it's just an office/warehouse/service building but one of their techs spent a good 20 minutes walking through the whole place with me answering all my questions. I was really impressed with how far out of their way they went to help someone who hasn't even decided on what to buy yet and they were very upfront about what their machines would and wouldn't do. They even let me take a couple pictures which I will post here when I get home and get them off my phone. The one big takeaway from that visit was that I might be better off using a spool gun instead of an AC TIG for aluminum. I don't know if I like the European Dinse connectors they use but that's only from a replacement parts perspective but I saw how many parts they have there and it should be fine. They actually build their aluminum spool guns on site at that facility and it's a nice spool gun. It has wire speed adjustment at the gun which seems really convenient. Anyhow, I would be comfortable buying the HTP 220MTS that Oscar suggested but that Primeweld TIG machine that Louie pointed out has me thinking twice, I could just get that and a good dedicated MIG machine like the IRONMAN 240 which can be had for $1700 brand new right now. I had no idea it was going to be such a pain in the *** making this decision, I also haven't ruled out the ESAB 205ic because it has everything I'm looking for and an exceptional duty cycle. I'll be watching a ton of videos over the next couple of days but these are the three options I'm focused on right now. Thanks everyone for your input so far, I'm reading ALL of it and looking into ALL of it.
    I'm no HTP fanboy but the few times I've ordered accessories the customer service has been really good. I wouldn't worry about dinse connector as that is pretty much the industry standard now. I weld lots of aluminum using a spool gun and the only real limitations I've found are, pretty much .080 and up for thickness. Casting repair is another issue as TIG allows you to " cook" the piece with the arc to burn out contamination. Another limitation is small parts or short welds. Reason for this is generally you will get a " cold" start and then as heat increases you up your travel speed. All in all tho the aluminum mig is a good option for most repair and fabrication applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Have zero experience with these, but they are husky brand from home depot (one of their store brands). Probably the same welder as other chinese vendors, but backed by a big name common store.

3 year warranty - I've never had any trouble returning husky tools, even with obvious signs of abuse, but have never had to return a welder.

$548.00 (2022)

Single Phase 180 Amp 240-Volt/120-Volt AC Wire Feed 180 MIG Wire Feed Welder with Foot Pedal and Dual Voltage Technology

Output (120V): 10A - 70A (Stick); 10A - 90A (TIG); 30A -140A (MIG)
    Output (240V): 10A - 170A (Stick); 10A - 180A (TIG); 30A -180A (MIG)
    Duty cycle (120V): 70A@40% (Stick); 90A@40% (TIG); 90A@40% (MIG)
    Duty cycle (240V): 170A@25% (Stick); 180A@25% (TIG); 180A@25% (MIG)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Si...51654-23-12030
    Optically it looks very similar to the Eastwood multiprocess welder. But the Eastwood has better specs
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20220615_094900.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  111.2 KBName:  20220615_101251.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  153.1 KBName:  20220615_094902.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  110.0 KB
    As promised a couple pics from my trip to HTP today. There is another section of the building the same size as this one where they do testing, repairs and classes I believe. They really couldn't have been nicer and I would highly recommend them from a customer relations perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

So you didn't get to give it a test run? Darn it, you missed out on the fun!

That 2nd pic reminds me, I need to order more coolant.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

6. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    So you didn't get to give it a test run? Darn it, you missed out on the fun!

That 2nd pic reminds me, I need to order more coolant.
    He showed me some coupons from the last class they had there welding aluminum with the spool gun. He showed me the guts of the 220, the boards and how they're coated and how easy and relatively inexpensive it is to replace the screen which only cost about $300 and only takes six screws and one ribbon cable to replace. I didn't like that it only has one gas inlet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, duplicate post.
    Last edited by C4Mac; 06-15-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Iím assuming the unit is meant to be a mobile unit. If so then I see no reason to have more than one gas port as normally you will only be moving one gas tank at a time when transporting the machine. I can appreciate having two different gas ports and gas valves to keep from having to swap hoses, regulators, gasses etc all the time if you are swapping between processes all the time.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I’m assuming the unit is meant to be a mobile unit.
    I don't anticipate using this as a mobile unit, there may come a time when a friend or family member needs something welded somewhere else but my intention is to park it in my shop and use it almost entirely on my property.

Post Thanks / Like

I called Cyberweld.com last night and they have the ESAB 205ic in stock and with a $400 rebate so I can get it there for $3449 which is an excellent price at this particular time. So I'm down to either the ESAB which I really want, or the Primeweld with maybe a Millermatic 211 which would cost with cart for the Miller just under $3000 or the PrimeWeld with the Hobart Ironman 240 for $2600. I would still have to buy a bottle of Argon but Primeweld actually sells full DOT 125CF bottles of Argon shipped to your door for $369 which is a pretty damn good price. Does the Miller 211 stack up well against the Hobart IronMan 240? I watched some reviews on the 240 and it's a big heavy old school transformer mig machine which is actually fine by me but one review said Hobart has it set up to slow feed the wire when you first pull the trigger and that might be a deal breaker for me. The Miller 211 has the same duty cycle on MIG as the ESAB both are 40% at 150A/21.5V but the IronMan is running 60% at 200A/24V. The Hobart comes with a 15' gun too, the ESAB and Miller both only come with 10' guns. Why is this decision so hard to make...I can get a top tier machine with the ESAB that will work, has good service and parts availability and will last for 10-20 years or I can get one of the combo sets which is not too shabby either.

Post Thanks / Like

I would EASILY plunk down 4100.00 for a Multimatic 220ACDC.
    Sweet machine. I ran it in stick, MIG(short arc and spray), flux cored, TIG(AC and DC)
    I found it to do all processes very well!

13. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller 211 stack up well against the Hobart IronMan 240?
    Depends on what you want to do. The extra top end and duty cycle of the Hobart Ironman will let you do much more with the MIG function: you can welder thicker material, you can easily run dual shield flux core, you can run some metal core wires, etc.

one review said Hobart has it set up to slow feed the wire when you first pull the trigger and that might be a deal breaker for me
    Many mig welders do this, it is called "run in" and it is a good thing. I am guessing it is not adjustable on the Ironman, but to be honest, the factory default on my Millermatic 252 (back when I had it) and on my Multimatic 255 were fine. I have never changed them.

The ESAB is not a bad choice. Its just a lot of money for what you get, in my opinion. If it were me and I was budget conscious I would with the Hobart, and use some of the savings to get the Ironman with the spool gun as part of the package. I am also not sure I would invest in a bottle. I rent my 330 Cu Ft bottle of C10 and it costs me $70/year to rent. Maine Oxy even delivers to my door (at my home). With a 330 cu ft bottle you don't have to refill as often and many times the the gas is cheaper per cubic foot with the bigger bottle. For me it is worth the $70 per year to not have to schlep the bottle down to the store for an exchange. Heck last time I changed bottles the driver even did the change on the machine for me. I didn't have to touch a thing. That might be unusual but with my back I appreciate it.
    Miller Multimatic 255

15. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you get up into the 250-350 amp class of MIG machines, it will change the way you look at a wire feed/MIG welder and cause you to rethink a number of things. Like, if wind is not a factor, I will choose dual shield flux core over stick for heavy plate almost every time. Same thing (and even more so maybe) with pulse MIG. These bigger machines are just capable of so much more than what you can do with a 200 amp MIG in short circuit mode.
    Miller Multimatic 255

17. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Many mig welders do this, it is called "run in" and it is a good thing. I am guessing it is not adjustable on the Ironman.
    Gotcha, also correct it is not adjustable on the Ironman. I believe that pig is basically two knobs and a torch and the build quality of a Sherman tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    The ESAB is not a bad choice. Its just a lot of money for what you get, in my opinion. If it were me and I was budget conscious I would with the Hobart, and use some of the savings to get the Ironman with the spool gun
    I'm prepared to drop $4k so all of these options fall within my budget at this point. You would get the spool gun with the Hobart even though the Primeweld 225 is being purchased with it? As much as I would like a name machine like Miller I think the bullet proof nature of the Ironman and the large bump in amperage and duty cycle I'm going to drop the Miller from the running. So we're basically down to the Primeweld 225X/Hobart Ironman 240 combo or the Esab 205ic by itself. For reference here are the links to all the machines where I will be buying them and with the gear kit I'll be buying it with.

OPTION 1:
    https://primeweld.com/products/tig-2...-dc-tig-welder
    https://primeweld.com/products/argon...ing-tank-125cf
    https://store.cyberweld.com/hobart-i...500536001.html
    $3442+tax

OPTION 2:
    https://primeweld.com/products/argon...ing-tank-125cf
    https://store.cyberweld.com/esab-reb...558102553.html
    $3818+tax

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I can recommend if you chose the ESAB 205 is to get a tweco fusion 250 to 350 amp class 15’ gun. You’ll be happy with the extra 5’ of gun length as well as the ease of use with the consumables as well as durability. Some don’t like the threadless tips but imo they make cleaning the nozzle and swapping out tips so easy.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

20. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite my 2 cents this has turned out to be a good thread. A nice thing was the OP giving some help with budget and all. He is not unrealistic. Doesnt sound like anyone is gonna miss a meal here cause daddy got a new welder. Or 2.

22. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got off the phone with Primeweld, I wish they had a MIG welder that interested me because I would just buy it all there. Anyhow I did buy the Argon bottle because they only have 6 left and will be out for a month after that so that's out of the way. Another wrench to throw in the mix, if I went with the Primeweld 225x and the Hobart Ironman 240 without the spoolrunner but I got the Primeweld Cut60 plasma cutter it would be roughly the same cost. I have a nice oxy acetylene setup right now so I don't exactly need the plasma cutter but in the next year I want to buy a 4'x4' CNC plasma cutting table so it would be nice to have a decent plasma cutter and this one will cut up to 3/4".

24. Dislikes metalmelter2021 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the Miller 211 stack up well against the Hobart IronMan 240?
    I have used a 211 and while it's a very nice machine, it does lack one ability you might be interested in...spray transfer. The 211 is really just on the edge of being able to spray and the general consensus is that even if you figure out a way to pull it off with a gas and wire combo, it's really more than what the machine should be asked to do. For some folks that's not a big deal, but it's enough for me that I would opt for the 240 even if I didn't care about the ability to run large rolls of wire (which I do).
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

26. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kind of curious how the IM might spray. I dont even know anyone net has tested it, have you? I agree about the difference in the 211 and the 240. Those model numbers really aint got much to do with anything,,,, the 240 is twice the machine the 211 is. Like I might have mentioned before, if I wanted to hit the gas and go tomorrow it would be on my short list if I already didnt have a 250.
    According to Dan at blue it welds really well.
    It really replaced a couple machines in the lineup or really consolidated is the right word. The early 210 lineup for them was kinda lame, after the blue 210 went away the 212 and 215 never really grabbed ground and anyone knew enuf or wanted to weld spent the extra 3 or 400 up front for a 250 class which is really much better. They lower the price for a hobart anyway and get rid of thqat middle machine and cost a bit more per part maybe but we need less stock,, all the way around, gonna be reliable as a tank, can keep our long warranty, I see the logic.

28. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get too hung up on numbers.. My two cents...I have yet to find anything better for me, than my Lowly Thermal-Arc LM-200. You would think it's nothing, but the short-arc is fantastic, and will output 330 amps about 30 volts.. I don't run it there, but it can do it fine. The Esab is a gamble IMO.. If it was a Lorch /Esab, then top tier there. I think the Iron-man, and Primeweld will serve your needs well. Hobart has treated it's customers very well over the years, so very solid pick.HTP is really good too... I am really shocked how good the arc is on quite a few lower tier machines.. It took Miller/Lincoln many years to get there,

Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

I been following this a while. Dan dont always share my sense or lack or real humor as Scott does but,,,, there are a couple few people translate to forums as well as have a true interest in how well this works and know something real about it. I kind of know it when I see it and can be a pretty fair welder at times but I dont know anything about it. I know its all out there but I am really utility, does it work or solve a problem thats in my way,,,, what is so revolutionary is the cost came down to do the same work. Its world wide also.
    I am not a dilligent tester but I know you guys know exactly what you are looking at. I remember showing my Max to a neighbor. He was a mechanic been around a welder or 2 along the way and he says, can I try it and I was gonna set him up with the stuff and he says,,,, (Its a Miller) Oh,,, I dont care about that but he basically turns it up and burns a 1/8 6011 into a plate, big ole goober and says,,, that will work, just wanted to see how much power it had,,,,, ha.
    I agree to some extent and we always worry where the tip off point is but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I been at it a while and as long as its DC and working or running right I really cant tell,,,, or notice any much difference,
    I come home from a nuke and shove the same rod in my DC buzzer and cant say as I notice,,, same for the max and the DC buzz. I was gonna fire up my synch next to it all and see. Seemed I ask my bud if 3ph on tranny make a difference and not much as I tell from running it, I assume the electronic tends to mimic this or better?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got off the phone with Primeweld, I wish they had a MIG welder that interested me because I would just buy it all there. Anyhow I did buy the Argon bottle because they only have 6 left and will be out for a month after that so that's out of the way. Another wrench to throw in the mix, if I went with the Primeweld 225x and the Hobart Ironman 240 without the spoolrunner but I got the Primeweld Cut60 plasma cutter it would be roughly the same cost. I have a nice oxy acetylene setup right now so I don't exactly need the plasma cutter but in the next year I want to buy a 4'x4' CNC plasma cutting table so it would be nice to have a decent plasma cutter and this one will cut up to 3/4".
    I have owned a Primeweld Mig 180 for several(maybe 6) months now, and it has been capable of doing most everything I've asked of it. Its been a good machine that I have used to run solid wire(steel,S/S, aluminum), gasless flux core , gas shielded flux core, Stick , mig braze, and scratch start tig. It also comes with a spool gun that looks similar to the low end Lincoln 100. It takes Lincoln/Tweco parts on the torch. This machine looks very similar to the Eastwood, and the Home depot machines, and some others on amazon. I can only speak about what I've run on this machine, and it has a nice arc(not as nice as my Lincoln 210MP) when mig welding tig welding , and stick welding. I have done many repair welds on a variety of equipment, and the machine has produced decent welds every time. I bought the 180 to keep in the garage with the 225xp because there is only a 40 amp circuit there, and I needed a portable machine for around the shop and yard. That and my Lincoln 210MP was being repaired at the time (MainPCB after 6 year frequent use) The lincoln now stays at the my factory because of its portability, and versatility. The one spec that always sticks out to me on the primeweld 180 is
    DUTY CYCLE STICK ARC:
    30 percent @ 180 amps
    60 percent @ 120
    100 percent @ 99 amps
    DUTY CYCLE MIG/FLUX:
    30 percent @ 180 amps
    60 percent @160
    100 percent @ 100 amps

Thats where I run lots of 1/8" 7018, and have never had a problem with dutycycle/overheat. It a shame they dont have a machine like this in the 240-250 amp range similar to the eastwood 250 mig.

I think that after getting the primeweld tig 225 , real question is do you need power, or finesse ? I think the Ironman 240 is a solid choice if you plan on doing heavier welding 3/8"- 1/2" materials especially heavy steel beams, and plates. On the other hand if your looking to to do light fabrication, with lots of variety from 20 ga. to 1/4"-3/8" aluminum, stainless, exhaust or body work, I think the HTP 220 mig with the pulse would be a better choice. If my Lincoln 210 MP were to be broken, and unrepairable(never had a problem with the plastic arbor, but when I bought it seemed to have less plastic than the competing miller offering), I would choose the HTP because of my need the finesse more than the power.

I don't know if anybody has actually used the Home depot machine and or had to do a return or repair . If any body has , please post your experience with it. I can say for sure that the Primeweld guys have been really good with returns, and refunds with me. They always seem to pick up the phone, and have definite answers.

Good luck with your search

PS did you check with your plasma table company if the prime weld cutter. I was looking at a Langmuir crossfire, and the Lotos plasma cutter I own is on the DOESN'T WORK list . https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I havnt ran the 240 but know those guys have and they are qualified to form a good opinion.
    As an end user, being very general and diverse and do this type of work,,, not as a tester but utility that I want a 250 with big fat wire and power. Its nice if it will spray, core is ok but I dontr want it in my shop,,, dont want more equipment, more bottles and so much or most is out of position or combination and relatively light. Not on a continuous fab bench with heavy structural but 90% one weld a time on something and even on a bench I dont turn it all a lot of the time. If a guy welds regular a big spool and a bottle saves a lot of cost and last a long time. Its 2x as fast as a 211.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats where I run lots of 1/8" 7018, and have never had a problem with dutycycle/overheat.
    Yes, that is kind of a benchmark for a small shop. I know how to use fat rod and if it was a regular deal would but never know when something pops up and you wanna run a handful without thinking about it. Its a different thing if every day all day but I have over ran my Linc dc buzzer several times, not always due to thick but continuous. Dump truck bed, roofing truck body, trailer weld out.

Post Thanks / Like

Cary,
    with dual-shield wire you can get by with one bottle C-25 for spraying it, and also for short arc.. It could also be C02 for both if the wire is correct.. Just keeps the bottle count down, and price of gas too..(C02) That is a excellent combo with my two Esab machines.. I paid $419 for the Caddie Mig 160, and top quality with CO2.. It has way higher output then the 160 suggests. Was running the Esab CV-353 today and it takes everything .045 flux can throw at it.. (sold too) It will run 350 amps/34 volts @ 100 % duty, and cost $250 used.. I have a used LN-25 pro I picked up cheap and really only into welding combo for under a grand..It runs on my 15hp rotary, but only does well for spray with it..No issue with that because I have my Klutch 220si, and Thermal LM-200/LF-72 Lincoln feeder.. Guess my point is, high quality used it a good option if you know what you are looking at..

For stick the INE 1500 for me.. Jim here picked one up after me, and agrees it blows away his little China Esab machine..
    Last edited by Brand X; 06-18-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti