Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a new Multiprocess, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy a new Multiprocess, any suggestions?

As the title says I'm looking to buy a new multiprocess welder for home fabrication projects. I'm currently using an old Lincoln Weld Pak 100 but I know I need something considerably more substantial. Almost all of my experience is in MIG or FCAW and a little bit with gouging rods but I'd really like to learn TIG. I currently have a bottle of C25 and I'm willing to pick up a bottle of Argon for the TIG. 220v is fine, I can run another 220 circuit if needed or just plug into the 220 circuit I just ran for my air compressor. I'm currently looking at the Miller Multimatic 220 and the ESAB Rebel 235ic but finding a welder at or below MSRP right now is proving difficult. Went to my local Airgas and they are $1200 above MSRP. Originally I was hoping to keep the cost between $2000-$3000 but it looks like I will be lucky to keep it below $4000. I had looked at the Lincoln MP210 as well but it's a very small machine and the wire drive wheel is using a plastic arbor so I have kind of pulled it off my list. I also looked briefly at Everlast but I don't know the brand or it's quality. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Multiprocess welder (MIG, flux core, TIG and Stick) in the general range of $2000-$4000? Airgas quoted me $5300 for the Miller Multimatic 220 with a TIG kit and bottle of gas and $4800 for the ESAB Rebel 235ic without the bottle. Can welders be found for MSRP or below right now or is the market really that high at this point?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy a new Multiprocess, any suggestions?

Just a brief update, it turns out the ESAB Rebel 205ic is able to AC TIG but the 235ic is not so I think the 205ic has replaced the 235 on my list. Oddly I saw the same thing with the Miller product line, only one of their Multimatic line of welders is AC TIG, the 220. Bakers Gas has both welders at MSRP, the ESAB they have for $3849 and the Miller for $4099.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't absolutely need AC TIG and can work with a lift-arc DC TIG function, the HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS might fit your criteria. Has 9 pulse programs for steel, aluminum, and SS, and a total of 21 programs in all including gasless flux core and gas-shielded flux core. You can weld aluminum down to about 0.030" without a spoolgun or push-pull using a dedicated aluminum MIG gun with a carbon graphite liner that will run you about $200 when you factor in the additional U-groove drive rolls. Oh and they might be close to you, their up in the Chicago area. Maybe they will let you run one of their machines in-house for a couple of minutes.
    Last edited by Oscar; 06-14-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

4. Likes C4Mac, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding machines have been selling for MSRP/ Street price for a while now. Way before pandemic times.

Airgas has always had their own tier of pricing- never shop there.

On Line:

baker's gas, Cyberweld or Welding Supplies from IOC.

Miller even updated their website a quite few years ago and listed street prices - basically same price as what their retailers were listing them at.

I think Lincoln followed as well.

*** Prices have jumped quite a bit so MSRP is what it is.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

6. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are wasting your money trying to buy a multiprocess machine that will do AC TIG, in my opinion. What thickness and types of material do you commonly work with? For most TIG tasks on steel, any of the DC only multiprocess machines are probably fine. But for AC TIG I would suggest you go get a Primeweld TIG 225 https://primeweld.com/products/tig-2...-dc-tig-welder AND buy a separate DC only multiprocess or a MIG. You will save a lot of money and get more features for welding aluminum than you will out of the Miller 220 or the ESAB 205i.

Pair up the Primeweld with a Hobart Ironman 240 ($2200) and you will be in right at the $3000 mark. Alternatively, go find a used Ironman 230 or Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Powermig 255/256 (all of these can be found used for around $1500 if you look hard enough) and save a few dollars more

It's hard to believe but I paid $3800 for my MM255 last June and it is currently priced at $4800..holy crap!
    Miller Multimatic 255

8. Likes Freebirdwelds, C4Mac, G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have zero experience with these, but they are husky brand from home depot (one of their store brands). Probably the same welder as other chinese vendors, but backed by a big name common store.

3 year warranty - I've never had any trouble returning husky tools, even with obvious signs of abuse, but have never had to return a welder.

$548.00 (2022)

Single Phase 180 Amp 240-Volt/120-Volt AC Wire Feed 180 MIG Wire Feed Welder with Foot Pedal and Dual Voltage Technology

Output (120V): 10A - 70A (Stick); 10A - 90A (TIG); 30A -140A (MIG)
    Output (240V): 10A - 170A (Stick); 10A - 180A (TIG); 30A -180A (MIG)
    Duty cycle (120V): 70A@40% (Stick); 90A@40% (TIG); 90A@40% (MIG)
    Duty cycle (240V): 170A@25% (Stick); 180A@25% (TIG); 180A@25% (MIG)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Si...51654-23-12030

10. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    It's hard to believe but I paid $3800 for my MM255 last June and it is currently priced at $4800..holy crap!
    I see it at the same price right now through a few online vendors. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying?

https://bakersgas.com/products/mille...28831155650613

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the room I would buy one welder for Mig and fluxcore and different welder for tig and stick.

If one gives out the other can get the job done

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by C4Mac View Post
    As the title says I'm looking to buy a new multiprocess welder for home fabrication projects. I'm currently using an old Lincoln Weld Pak 100 but I know I need something considerably more substantial. Almost all of my experience is in MIG or FCAW and a little bit with gouging rods but I'd really like to learn TIG. I currently have a bottle of C25 and I'm willing to pick up a bottle of Argon for the TIG. 220v is fine, I can run another 220 circuit if needed or just plug into the 220 circuit I just ran for my air compressor. I'm currently looking at the Miller Multimatic 220 and the ESAB Rebel 235ic but finding a welder at or below MSRP right now is proving difficult. Went to my local Airgas and they are $1200 above MSRP. Originally I was hoping to keep the cost between $2000-$3000 but it looks like I will be lucky to keep it below $4000. I had looked at the Lincoln MP210 as well but it's a very small machine and the wire drive wheel is using a plastic arbor so I have kind of pulled it off my list. I also looked briefly at Everlast but I don't know the brand or it's quality. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Multiprocess welder (MIG, flux core, TIG and Stick) in the general range of $2000-$4000? Airgas quoted me $5300 for the Miller Multimatic 220 with a TIG kit and bottle of gas and $4800 for the ESAB Rebel 235ic without the bottle. Can welders be found for MSRP or below right now or is the market really that high at this point?

Thanks in advance for all your help

13. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will look into all of them. One final update, I have added the Everlast Lightning MTS 275 to the list. It has terrific specs for duty cycle, significantly better than the Miller or ESAB for right at about $3000 with the water cooler for the TIG but they are still an unknown for quality. Currently space is an issue but that will change in the next couple of years. Louie I primarily weld steel plate and tube from 1/8-1/4 and every now and then a little bit of 1/2". I'd like to do some aluminum and SS but even when I do it won't be a lot and it will be 1/8 to 3/16 most likely (going to try welding a 15' aluminum staircase). Oscar I don't actually know if I absolutely need an AC TIG, I've never done it before so I didn't want to short myself on any features. As far as I know you need AC to TIG aluminum and I think you need it for HF start? Broccoli I looked at Bakers Gas and they have reasonable prices and they are a known quantity so I'm leaning towards buying through them, I think they also sell all the welders I'm looking at. I'll check out Welding Supplies from IOC, been to CyberWeld and they seem similar to Bakers.

Post Thanks / Like

But for AC TIG I would suggest you go get a Primeweld TIG 225 https://primeweld.com/products/tig-2...-dc-tig-welder AND buy a separate DC only multiprocess or a MIG.
    I checked out the link you posted, that welder has 898 reviews and only 1 review below 4 stars (it got 3 stars, nothing below 3 stars). I've never seen a ratio like that and I've never heard of that brand. I will take a serious look at that machine and consider doing 2 machines. Thank you very much for pointing this machine out, I would have never seen it otherwise. Do you know if the Primeweld MIG and stick welders are as good as the reviews on the TIG you posted?
    Last edited by C4Mac; 06-14-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hobart would be on my short list for that type of mig which is the real workhorse of small fab, maint, etc. I only use something else on occasion cause I can and cause I got it. My ideal setup is a 140 class with 023, a bigger machine with bigger wire and a DC stick. If I got to do a little alum for service,,, which I do its spooly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I see it at the same price right now through a few online vendors. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying?

https://bakersgas.com/products/mille...28831155650613
    I have the mutimatic. The one you linked to is the MIG only millermatic. That unit was right around $3k last year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If you don't absolutely need AC TIG and can work with a lift-arc DC TIG function, the HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS might fit your criteria. Has 9 pulse programs for steel, aluminum, and SS, and a total of 21 programs in all including gasless flux core and gas-shielded flux core. You can weld aluminum down to about 0.030" without a spoolgun or push-pull using a dedicated aluminum MIG gun with a carbon graphite liner that will run you about $200 when you factor in the additional U-groove drive rolls. Oh and they might be close to you, their up in the Chicago area. Maybe they will let you run one of their machines in-house for a couple of minutes.
    They're out of Elk Grove Village which is the western edge of O'Hare airport, I was just there this afternoon...I will definitely check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the mutimatic. The one you linked to is the MIG only millermatic. That unit was right around $3k last year

Have you welded stainless or aluminum with your MM255?

Post Thanks / Like

Louie I primarily weld steel plate and tube from 1/8-1/4 and every now and then a little bit of 1/2". I'd like to do some aluminum and SS but even when I do it won't be a lot and it will be 1/8 to 3/16 most likely (going to try welding a 15' aluminum staircase). Oscar I don't actually know if I absolutely need an AC TIG, I've never done it before so I didn't want to short myself on any features.
    I would focus on a welder that is good for the steel and stainless you want to do and maybe forget about the aluminum for a while, but that's just me.

As far as I know you need AC to TIG aluminum and I think you need it for HF start?
    You do not need AC to have high frequency start. You can also MIG weld aluminum.

Do you know if the Primeweld MIG and stick welders are as good as the reviews on the TIG you posted?
    No idea

Have you welded stainless or aluminum with your MM255?
    No I really only weld mild steel 99.9% of the time (which is why I am perfectly happy with the MM255). Regardless of the brand of MIG welder, you need a different gas for aluminum MIG welding (Argon) and yet another different gas for stainless MIG welding (a tri-mix gas)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I really think. Veg has hit this really close for "being able to do the work" a hobby/home guy really does. I have a specialty but where it really hit the road I need tig about twice in 40 years, find a bud to dabble with that and most guys could do anythiong they can dream up with a 210 wire feed,,, really. I add a stick like the veg did but maybe even more modern for "to go" stuff, its really handy. I can understand the dreaming, the research all of that but if you wanna get a machine where the rubber really hits the road get a 210 feeder and then if you are hung up add another machine, 2 or 3 but that should be one a guy has even if he got every other one they ever invent.
    My bud retired, bought a 211 and a 200 Dynasty. Says the Dyn is ok and the 5 hours he put on it mostlky a little practice and in hindsight would keep the 211 and skip the 4000$ dust collector,,, has hundred hrs on a 211.
    Got another neighbor hobby bud,,, as a fabricatore an expert and hasnt been over but to weld 1 alum thing since getting a 175 20 yrs ago. He can run any machine they make. Gets by just fine at hom, with a 030 feeder.

Post Thanks / Like

Only time I need big machine is occasional contracting, very rare on my own stuff and 95% done with a 180, 4.9% more DC buzzer and .001 with a spooly. Used my tig twice in last 15 yrs, both customer repair. Once just to see if it worked.

23. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Louie was an educated want it buyer. He bought a machine he wanted cause he wanted it but he know what he is doing. Different than picking the right machine for a new guy, I am all for doing if you want, if you obsessed with tig that's ok too but to get stuff done for Joe Suburb hobby farmer or car guy its not the right starter machine.
    Different than a guy has his heart set on exotic motor sports etc. What it is about its the perfect diy machine and the reason they got your picture on the wall as a poster child for it the place they invent and build it and why this class a machine so extremely competitive for quality performance and even price. I can find some guys should have bought 210 over 140 but the reason no one see 210 for sale is guys got them keep them. I dont know personally anyone ever sold a 175-210.
    There can be 2 or 3 other machines in the corner collecting dust and one 210 doing the work. I see a couple 3 210MP sitting around a heavy shop I was in the other day. For every big piece of steel welded in the world there is 5 other small ones, maybe more.
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-14-2022 at 09:05 PM.

25. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of the brand of MIG welder, you need a different gas for aluminum MIG welding (Argon) and yet another different gas for stainless MIG welding (a tri-mix gas)
    Sort of. The pulse-MIG programs on the HTP MIGs call for Ar-CO₂ mixtures, not tri-mix. Two tanks (Argon and CO₂), and a mixer would be all that is needed technically for steel, aluminum, and SS.

27. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the link you posted, that welder has 898 reviews and only 1 review below 4 stars (it got 3 stars, nothing below 3 stars). I've never seen a ratio like that and I've never heard of that brand. I will take a serious look at that machine and consider doing 2 machines. Thank you very much for pointing this machine out, I would have never seen it otherwise. Do you know if the Primeweld MIG and stick welders are as good as the reviews on the TIG you posted?
    The primeweld multi process machines have good reviews as well. AM custom fab on YouTube has some reviews on those machines. Personally I wouldn't buy an AC/DC multi process machine. I do like the DC multi process machines but the TIG function is going to be lacking in most cases due to lift arc start. Really not a deal breaker for limited use tho. I have the primeweld 225 tig and it's a very capable machine especially when you factor what it is at it's price point. Either way your looking at 2 different gas cylinders to do what your after. Argon for tig work and aluminum mig if you choose and a CO2 or CO2 blend for mig steel. Go for the machines you feel give good customer service and everything should be fine. You previously mentioned the " green" company, beware of their claims as far as warranty goes.

29. Likes C4Mac, Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Louie was an educated want it buyer. He bought a machine he wanted cause he wanted it but he know what he is doing. Different than picking the right machine for a new guy, I am all for doing if you want, if you obsessed with tig that's ok too but to get stuff done for Joe Suburb hobby farmer or car guy its not the right starter machine.
    Different than a guy has his heart set on exotic motor sports etc. What it is about its the perfect diy machine and the reason they got your picture on the wall as a poster child for it the place they invent and build it and why this class a machine so extremely competitive for quality performance and even price. I can find some guys should have bought 210 over 140 but the reason no one see 210 for sale is guys got them keep them. I dont know personally anyone ever sold a 175-210.
    There can be 2 or 3 other machines in the corner collecting dust and one 210 doing the work. I see a couple 3 210MP sitting around a heavy shop I was in the other day. For every big piece of steel welded in the world there is 5 other small ones, maybe more.

Cary gives good advice. I have always bought much more welder than I need, just because I can and I tend to go overboard with my hobbies. Heck, don't even ask to see my amateur radio (ham radio) set up. Given that the OP says he works primarily with "steel plate and tube from 1/8-1/4 and every now and then a little bit of 1/2", he could get by with any of the 200-ish amp DC multi process machines and be pretty happy I think. That machine will weld stainless with DC TIG quite easily or MIG if he gets the right gas and wire combo. He could even MIG weld the 1/8 to 3/16 aluminum he is talking about as well (probably need a spool gun though). The only thing that would push me to recommend a bigger welder like my MM255 is if he did a lot of work above 1/4 inch, especially if he does a lot of 1/2 inch stuff. Then he might need the extra juice to MIG that stuff. But he could also just stick weld it with the smaller welder and be OK.
    Miller Multimatic 255

31. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most anything will be a huge leap from a 100 and no point in buying too small. If it is used a lot it saves cost. If there is any time is money factor its a no brainer. I am a regular user, dont want to fool with changing wire size and have extra bottles. The 100 with 023 would be a keeper for sheet. I had a loaner for that and might need to buy one now. I can do near foil with it. But lately due to FREE rods and the need to stay current I been doing more stick.

Post Thanks / Like

You are wasting your money trying to buy a multiprocess machine that will do AC TIG, in my opinion. What thickness and types of material do you commonly work with? For most TIG tasks on steel, any of the DC only multiprocess machines are probably fine. But for AC TIG I would suggest you go get a Primeweld TIG 225 https://primeweld.com/products/tig-2...-dc-tig-welder AND buy a separate DC only multiprocess or a MIG. You will save a lot of money and get more features for welding aluminum than you will out of the Miller 220 or the ESAB 205i.

Pair up the Primeweld with a Hobart Ironman 240 ($2200) and you will be in right at the $3000 mark. Alternatively, go find a used Ironman 230 or Millermatic 252 or Lincoln Powermig 255/256 (all of these can be found used for around $1500 if you look hard enough) and save a few dollars more
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say. The only thing I've noticed is that used prices on something like an Ironman230, Millermatic 252 or PowerMig 255/256 have gotten ridiculous in the past year so finding them under $2K is really a challenge. It could happen, but I'd be more inclined to just buy a new Ironman 240, get a warranty and start with a known quantity.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I've recommended the Primeweld 225X to a couple of friends and they are absolutely thrilled with them. The big thing is their customer service gets top marks and you can get someone here in the U.S. on the phone easily. I keep waiting to see a negative review, or claims of a bad customer service experience, but nothing so far.

I don't know about their MIG or stick machines, but I've been reading a lot about their plasma cutters as that's the one gap I need to fill in my shop. I've pretty much settled on the CUT60...it's not a pressing need, but I plan to buy one this year.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

35. Likes C4Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Have zero experience with these, but they are husky brand from home depot (one of their store brands). Probably the same welder as other chinese vendors, but backed by a big name common store.

3 year warranty - I've never had any trouble returning husky tools, even with obvious signs of abuse, but have never had to return a welder.

$548.00 (2022)

Single Phase 180 Amp 240-Volt/120-Volt AC Wire Feed 180 MIG Wire Feed Welder with Foot Pedal and Dual Voltage Technology

Output (120V): 10A - 70A (Stick); 10A - 90A (TIG); 30A -140A (MIG)
    Output (240V): 10A - 170A (Stick); 10A - 180A (TIG); 30A -180A (MIG)
    Duty cycle (120V): 70A@40% (Stick); 90A@40% (TIG); 90A@40% (MIG)
    Duty cycle (240V): 170A@25% (Stick); 180A@25% (TIG); 180A@25% (MIG)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Si...51654-23-12030
    That looks like a screaming deal to me. Price is good, functions are good, foot pedal included for lift arc tig, and the local return policy with 3 year warranty. if it dies after 3 years toss it and buy another. Return on investment seems solid with a 3 year period.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.