Thread: Sa250

Post Thanks / Like

Sa250

Iím looking to buy my first sa250d is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for When looking at it this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sa250

I have not own a SA250.
    But buying a generator I look at the brush slip rings. Then engine oil and water and wiring. I would also look at the reactor to see if over heated.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin s View Post
    Iím looking to buy my first sa250d is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for When looking at it this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Look to see if there is any cracking on the frame or motor mounts. I've heard that they are good machines but vibrate a little too much at idle. The 3 cyl. Perkins engine is outstanding though. I have one in my 1965 tractor and it's the most reliable machine I own. Weld with it and try all gears (coarse adjustment) and adjust the fine current control up and down on the control panel. See how the idler works and try the 115 volt plug. You need an AC/DC grinder or something similar because I think it's DC current only at the plug. Using it should tell you if it's a good machine. Look for smoke and listen for odd sounds while you try it out. Unless the temperature is freezing, it should start right up with no glow plugs or starting fluid.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-15-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    When DC welder I had buy everything AC DC. There are tools today that are not made for DC.
    Maybe ad a belt drive AC generator.
    Or do like did bring a AC generator to job too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Look to see if there is any cracking on the frame or motor mounts. I've heard that they are good machines but vibrate a little too much at idle. The 3 cyl. Perkins engine is outstanding though. I have one in my 1965 tractor and it's the most reliable machine I own. Weld with it and try all gears (coarse adjustment) and adjust the fine current control up and down on the control panel. See how the idler works and try the 115 volt plug. You need an AC/DC grinder or something similar because I think it's DC current only at the plug. Using it should tell you if it's a good machine. Look for smoke and listen for odd sounds while you try it out. Unless the temperature is freezing, it should start right up with no glow plugs or starting fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank yíall so much for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

I own a SA 250 with the Perkins 3 cylinder diesel. They do have considerable vibration at an idle, but they are some of the smoothest machines Iíve ever used. Typically very smooth even at very low amps. The one I have does have ac outlets. I read the other folks comments. They all sound like good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure if the SA250 might have a 115 volt AC plug. I only used one once. If they have an AC exciter(?) might explain why they weren't as common for pipeline work, not quite as nice of an arc as an all DC SA200 for downhill XX10 rods. Very nice arc for all other operations though.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure aux power is AC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I wasn't sure if the SA250 might have a 115 volt AC plug. I only used one once. If they have an AC exciter(?) might explain why they weren't as common for pipeline work, not quite as nice of an arc as an all DC SA200 for downhill XX10 rods. Very nice arc for all other operations though.

Early 250's were DC auxiliary power/exciter and later units AC. AC units have rectified DC for exciter current only as weld generator is still pure DC output same as early units.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

10. Likes Welder Dave liked this post