Thread: Who is the resident bearing guru?

Post Thanks / Like

Who is the resident bearing guru?

II was wondering if there was a cheat page to the nomenclature. Its like belts and hose fittings, hyd stuff, I just cant remember all the details and didnt know it well enough at the time. Wonder if there are cheats to cross mfg.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the resident bearing guru?

Today I use the internet and McMaster.
    When doing a lot of repair work I had catalogs that helped. I only keep my bearing catalogs.

On V-belt there a easy way to cross reference by using the outside belt dimensions but forgot

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    II was wondering if there was a cheat page to the nomenclature. Its like belts and hose fittings, hyd stuff, I just cant remember all the details and didnt know it well enough at the time. Wonder if there are cheats to cross mfg.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-16-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, it would have been my late dad. He spent 27 years as a maintenance machinist at Timex. Before that he was a tool and die maker. I swear he knew everything about everything. I have all of his tools and handbooks now. Let me look through and see what I can come up with (if anything)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Most tool and die makers was from WW2. It is trade that always need. I do not know what do when last few retire.
    Today the repair machinist are hard to find.
    In August 13 2009 I was offered a job as repair machinist at $37.00 with at less 500 hours of over time.

I would taken but I was in the hospital with stage 4 cancer .

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Dang, it would have been my late dad. He spent 27 years as a maintenance machinist at Timex. Before that he was a tool and die maker. I swear he knew everything about everything. I have all of his tools and handbooks now. Let me look through and see what I can come up with (if anything)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Most tool and die makers was from WW2. It is trade that always need. I do not know what do when last few retire.
    Today the repair machinist are hard to find.
    In August 13 2009 I was offered a job as repair machinist at $37.00 with at less 500 hours of over time.

I would taken but I was in the hospital with stage 4 cancer .

Dave

Dad was born in 1941, so he was technically trained after both WWII and the Korean war. He graduated technical high school in 1958 and did his 8000 hour apprenticeship at Anaconda American Brass in Waterbury (brass capital of the world). They are still pumping out "machinists" at the tech high school but they are all trained only on CNC now. I am not sure there is anywhere around here you could go anymore to be trained as a tool and die maker.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

It is sad day to see no training for tool and die.
    I do not know who you true too for war.
    I know China can do job.

Dave

Dad was born in 1941, so he was technically trained after both WWII and the Korean war. He graduated technical high school in 1958 and did his 8000 hour apprenticeship at Anaconda American Brass in Waterbury (brass capital of the world). They are still pumping out "machinists" at the tech high school but they are all trained only on CNC now. I am not sure there is anywhere around here you could go anymore to be trained as a tool and die maker.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a union card as journeyman repair machinist.
    But formal training is in Engineering and licensed in structural steel .

It very good line of work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

You need the IBI book, INTERNATIONAL BEARING INTERCHANGE, I don't know if it's still in print, but I used it extensively during my machine shop time. It listed bearings by size , seals tapered, barrel roller dual barrel etc and interchanged to different manufacturers numbers. It is available in digital format by searching for it, you may find a used set if you look.I did find it in a PDF, but you' have to create a free account to use it, personally I hate those sites.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 06-16-2022 at 07:30 PM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Came across this one after Caveman said what to look for... give's #'s but no spec's....

https://www.ahrinternational.com/PDF...eGuide7536.pdf
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

11. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not certain but I think my old SKF catalogs used to show what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, Timken has whole books on bearings.

Edit: I mean they have whole books ABOUT bearings. Like design considerations and whatnot.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 06-16-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    You need the IBI book, INTERNATIONAL BEARING INTERCHANGE, I don't know if it's still in print, but I used it extensively during my machine shop time. It listed bearings by size , seals tapered, barrel roller dual barrel etc and interchanged to different manufacturers numbers. It is available in digital format by searching for it, you may find a used set if you look.I did find it in a PDF, but you' have to create a free account to use it, personally I hate those sites.
    If you continue wanting a hard copy, you need to check the used bookstores, like this one (which is "out of stock")" until one turns up.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/intern...ition=58122526

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wheat. Its a bit much for my feeble mind but looking more later. I was wondering what all the stuff after a part number may mean, there are so many, some obviously shielding, some design.

Post Thanks / Like

Suffix

No suffix is non sealed bearing
    RS - single rubber seal
    2RS - rubber seal on both sides
    Z - Stainless shield
    ZZ - Stainless shield on both sides

The second two numbers tell you the ID of the bearing in mm.

The first two numbers tell you what kind of bearing it is.

60052RS = single row ball bearing, thin outer race, 50mm ID, W/ with rubber seals on both sides.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this one bear world the 6203 ball bearing in cheapest ball bearing.
    It used everywhere .
    I still have hundreds of 6203 2RS.

Dave

Thanks Wheat. Its a bit much for my feeble mind but looking more later. I was wondering what all the stuff after a part number may mean, there are so many, some obviously shielding, some design.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I forget what the r was. In a few minutes I might bve able to get to some specifics. I am working on a Berkley pump. They got a dealer bearing last time and We are chasing a couple problems salvaging a basket case.
    But for those who got to know,,, I got to shop for stuff like this all the time and I am not a researcher.
    B4EYRBM-CW H806 B.M.4259 and Sn 6961869.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&bih=663&dpr=1

This links to results for Timken's resources.

Name:  nomenclature.png
Views: 159
Size:  24.6 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

22. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any good reliable bearing supplier should be able to decipher the numbers by brand, we used a company named KING BEARING, IDK if they're national or just Arizona & New Mexico, they may not even exist anymore.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I understand they can do this. The page above was what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if it was actually the right bearing and I assumed it was cause it came from the dealer. We must have missed a couple things somehow, the details are fuzzy. I am thinking it needs one side shielded to force the grease thru in proper fashion and keep it from ending up in the housing. I find it hard to believe we didnt think it thru when we had it apart before. It was a rush job then. I would have thought I would have matched up part numbers once we had it all in hand but the invoive from a dealer might not be what is in the box.

Post Thanks / Like

I am away from my office and been amiss about posting factory drawing

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 👍
    I purchased a lot of bearing from KING BEARING. They do a great job.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Any good reliable bearing supplier should be able to decipher the numbers by brand, we used a company named KING BEARING, IDK if they're national or just Arizona & New Mexico, they may not even exist anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

file:///C:/Users/urkaf/Documents/Berkeley%20Pump%20Info/Berkeley%20Pump%20-%20F00637.pdf
    file:///C:/Users/urkaf/Documents/Berkeley%20Pump%20Info/Berkeley_Frame_Mount_Pump_Repair_Parts.pdf
    B4EYRBM-CW
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-19-2022 at 06:51 AM.