+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brackets in a shipping container

Post Thanks / Like

Brackets in a shipping container

I need to weld some brackets in a shipping container. There are some vertical joints and since the material is .065 wall I want to weld vertical down. I would like to use 6011 but I don't know if that electrode will work with the Corten material that containers are made of.
    Zoom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brackets in a shipping container

Skip the welding. Lots of other pro looking options available JMHO of course

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shipp...SdtEj_tj6BMfJM
    :

Post Thanks / Like

This is not for myself, the pieces are all ready cut. So I still need to know if 6011 will work.
    Zoom

4. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In that case, personally I would do 6013 vertical down. Nice and easy, and cosmetically pleasing.
    :

6. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6011 works just fine, I've used it on containers myself. Built a jobsite fuel and lube service rig using a 20' can mounted on a set of Stellar roll-off rails. Mostly 6011 and 6010 work.
    By the way, ventilate well when you weld inside them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    In that case, personally I would do 6013 vertical down. Nice and easy, and cosmetically pleasing.
    How about 7014 or 7018?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

9. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From web

We suggest that for plates that are 0.10 cm thick or thinner, you should use an E7018

The AWS classified 6013, used for mild steel, is not acceptable for Corten.
    https://weldingheadquarters.com/how-...0Questions.%20

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom4 View Post
    I need to weld some brackets in a shipping container. There are some vertical joints and since the material is .065 wall I want to weld vertical down. I would like to use 6011 but I don't know if that electrode will work with the Corten material that containers are made of.
    Zoom

Post Thanks / Like

Ive added brackets to my container with both 6011, and 7014,never had any problems. Haven't found any cracking in the walls or ceiling, and nothings broken off, yet. I would favor the 6011 . It will perform even with a little rust, or paint still on the metal. Vertical down should go pretty quickly too...
    Last edited by albrightree; 06-18-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on if your container or a customer container.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Ive added brackets to my container with both 6011, and 7014,never had any problems. Haven't found any cracking in the walls or ceiling, and nothings broken off, yet. I would favor the 6011 . It will perform even with a little rust, or paint still on the metal. Vertical down should go pretty quickly too...

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lis2323;8867882]Skip the welding. Lots of other pro looking options available JMHO of course

i avoided welding in mine, except for outer lock antitheft. alot can be done just using the fixed loops already there. mine is nice, luckily im close enough to the container dealers around the oakland ports, that i went and picked mine out. the price on them fluxuates as much as gasoline used too. dealing w/ them guys, is right down there w/ mobile home movers, auto junk yards, asphalt contactors, etc

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=123weld;8867966]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Skip the welding. Lots of other pro looking options available JMHO of course

dealing w/ them guys, is right down there w/ mobile home movers, auto junk yards, asphalt contactors, etc
    add roofers to the list. My cop friend insists anytime an exceptionally heinous crime ( rape , murder) is committed the first thing they check is to see if the circus is in town.

Next on the list is roofing contractors as they attract a transient workforce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

15. Likes 123weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is vertical down considered acceptable for structural? Isn't it just for pipe?

All I remember is that in my community college course, the instructor said "there is no such thing as vertical down in the structural AWS code" -- only vertical up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have welded shelves and hangers in shipping containers we use on construction sites a bunch of times it's usually a down and dirty thing with 1/8 7018 or 3/32 if it's on the jobsite. This is not really code welding or welding to a print so i wouldn't say whatever gets you sound weld i would use mig or small flux core if I had it but we usually don't. Down beads are usually a very convex weld that's not particularly strong but 6011 can be run downhill easily so you just need to judge what is sufficient and meet whatever is on the print if there is one. The corten welds fine you will just lose the corrosion resistance in the weld zone so a good post-weld paint job is in order. I guess i would ask the question i usually ask is the a weld detail for this or do i just make it up for our sea container welding i already know the answer just weld the damn thing already. If you have any issues blowing through you need to back up and work it out. It has been said already but we often bolt and angle, or flat bar on the wall the container to weld hangers for leads, wire rope chokers, slings, and what have you to me that's a good practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eelspike View Post
    This is not really code welding or welding to a print so i wouldn't say whatever gets you sound weld
    Yeah, that makes sense, I guess I just always wondered WHY there was no "vertical down" in the structural AWS code. I mean, if it's going to be inspected and "test welds" will be destructively tested, what's the big deal? I don't think I ever asked the instructor that question... It makes me wonder whether "vertical down" can give welds that look good cosmetically but are no good underneath...

Post Thanks / Like

If it's welded it's welded, up or down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense, I guess I just always wondered WHY there was no "vertical down" in the structural AWS code. I mean, if it's going to be inspected an..
    there is a clause in there, that allows downhill for ""fixing undercut ", and that is the only time downhill allowed. i been asked twice, in my time, by an inspector to do so

22. Likes StandarDyne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Downhill progression is approved for fixing undercut in D 1.1and for tube the welder can weld any direction they are qualified for. Downhill welds are also used in pipe welding and lincoln has the procedure in the book. I am not aware of any code that applies to welding brackets in a connex box. There are inspectors how have a real pet peeve with undercut so you have to accommodate them or fight with them which usually doesn't work out well. sometime with minor undercut you can just grind the base metal very lightly with a cut wheel at the toe of the weld and remove it without really digging in or disturbing the weld profile. There are some flux core wires that can't be welded vertical up and more that can't be welded vertical down. We had an issue with this on a job with brace tube where the inspector claimed he saw some downhill welding the Lincoln NR 200 series wire specs specifically stated all positions but vertical up but the inspector backed off when he was shown that tube can be weld in any position and progression for which the welder is qualified. Nobody wanted to show the inspector that the wire specs excluded uphill progression be we were all welding up except to fill some gaps before welding out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    If it's welded it's welded, up or down.
    Fixed it for ya Name:  7018 down2.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  78.2 KBName:  mutley.gif
Views: 698
Size:  9.3 KB

25. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom4 View Post
    Zoom
    If it's steel, use whatever rod you're comfortable with. Like Lis said, 6013 makes a prettier bead. 6011 will do just fine. With 0.065" wall thickness, you're going to want to use some pretty small rods. 3/32 is my go-to. 1/16" rods are really flimsy, so it can be sort of frustrating to re-strike an arc. You can get 5/64 rods, too. Might have to order them, depending on how well stocked your LWS is.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense, I guess I just always wondered WHY there was no "vertical down" in the structural AWS code. I mean, if it's going to be inspected and "test welds" will be destructively tested, what's the big deal? I don't think I ever asked the instructor that question... It makes me wonder whether "vertical down" can give welds that look good cosmetically but are no good underneath...
    Vertical down doesn't have as much strength. Traveling down makes for a colder weld than traveling up.

Edit: I'm not saying it doesn't make for strong welds. Like Sberry said, if it's welded, it's welded. BUT if you weld two identical joints, one vertical up and one vertical down, then cut, polish, and etch them, the vertical up will have more penetration.

This is just my experience, though...

28. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I will bet money that if they are welded in with 6010 or 7010 downhill you tear the cones and the brackets up before ukulele can get them off the wall properly welded downhill will work quit using 6011 and 6013 and you won’t have problems

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    Well I will bet money that if they are welded in with 6010 or 7010 downhill you tear the cones and the brackets up before ukulele can get them off the wall properly welded downhill will work quit using 6011 and 6013 and you won’t have problems
    Ukelele... what?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist