Thread: want to buy an aerowave

Post Thanks / Like

want to buy an aerowave

how much can I expect to pay for one of these and what can go wrong with them? i welded on one for a couple years when I took welding classes, i was absolutely in love with that machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: want to buy an aerowave

Quote Originally Posted by miller#1 View Post
    how much can I expect to pay for one of these and what can go wrong with them? i welded on one for a couple years when I took welding classes, i was absolutely in love with that machine.
    When they worked they worked well. I went through at least 5 of them. Disposed of when quit working out of warranty. Most times they failed within warranty got fixed free. Made my money though. The replacement was the Dynasty 350. Much more reliable.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with shovelon.
    When working I purchased the best I could find but with inflation today it cost $7,500.00.
    Today In retirement I have a low cost mig welder but I can repair the welder too.
    Most can not do there own repairs.

The brands I like are Hobart, Lincoln and Miller. I am sure shovelon Dynasty 350 would work well for you too.

FYI More bells and whistles the more problems keep it simple.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

ok I'll take the advice and not get one. does the dynasty 350 do everything the aerowave does?

Post Thanks / Like

ok I'll take the advice and not get one. does the dynasty 350 do everything the aerowave does?
    More. As much as I liked the AeroWaves I really love the Dynastys. The AeroWave was a hybrid inverter. Half transformer, half inverter, and they would rectify on occasion. Or they would shut down if pushed too hard. They Dynasty is full inverter and super stable. The adjustability and memory stations allow you to store good settings and retrieve on demand.

But if you get an AeroWave for under a grand you might like it just fine until it smokes a board.
    Last edited by shovelon; 06-21-2022 at 12:53 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

This aint the first post of this type. School is really a nice place to get to run some machines but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, doesnt mean a machine you ran there is the best or right for you. Its a machine that would have never occured to me to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

I repair the circuit boards in the aerowaves, matter fact I'm the only company worldwide that does (ask me how I know...) Anyways, all of the customers I have who use the aerowave love theirs. One of my customers had 3 or 4 at one point. Anyways, they are fantastic machines and because they are aging they do have their problems, usually with the toggle switches and main boards both which I repair. As another fella mentioned it is a hybrid machine, but it is not a true inverter at all. Basically it's a transformer machine, but mosfets are used to regulate current and IGBTs are used for controlling the polarity. So you get the features of an inverter, but not the efficiency and small size of one. Reliability wise, only the circuit boards are the weak point for these machines. Spec wise, amperage control 1A to 375A, 40-400Hz arc frequency range, balance of 30% to 90%. I keep a few spare parts for these machines.