Thread: Lincoln AC/DC wire

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln AC/DC wire

Hello all, what a very informative form! I am glad I found it. Lots to learn. I have a question about a Lincoln AC/DC welder that I purchased second hand. My amperage on 105 DC does not work, and upon taking the machine apart, I found a corroded and burnt wire. I am wanting to replace this wire, and see that it unscrews from the amperage selector, but it seems to be "glued" into a paper wrapped component which I believe referred to as a "primary winding"? (please forgive my lack of knowledge). I have posted a picture of the wiring diagram. It is the 175/105 wire. Does anyone have any experience on how to remove and replace this wire from that paper winding?

Thank you very much
    Jim
    Name:  IMG_4175.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  172.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln AC/DC wire

Quote Originally Posted by Jim555 View Post
    Hello all, what a very informative form! I am glad I found it. Lots to learn. I have a question about a Lincoln AC/DC welder that I purchased second hand. My amperage on 105 DC does not work, and upon taking the machine apart, I found a corroded and burnt wire. I am wanting to replace this wire, and see that it unscrews from the amperage selector, but it seems to be "glued" into a paper wrapped component which I believe referred to as a "primary winding"? (please forgive my lack of knowledge). I have posted a picture of the wiring diagram. It is the 175/105 wire. Does anyone have any experience on how to remove and replace this wire from that paper winding?

Thank you very much
    Jim
    That would be a nightmare to remove all that and get it back proper. Is there enough of the wire left to cut it and put a new end on it. Or you could cut it and splice a piece on it with a lug connector and put it back on.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

3. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim555 View Post

Thank you very much
    Jim
    Don't mess with the primary winding. Save as much of the original wire as you can and splice into that. Worse case scenario, you can pull a TINY bit of wire loose from that winding and solder a new wire to it and heat shrink it. Make sure you replace the wire with GOOD wire (no lamp cord!).

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

5. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and if you go picking at the windings on the transformer, keep in mind that they're coated in lacquer.

I'm not going to recommend how to do this (I is no expert!), but I may or may not have had success using aerosol lacquer.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

7. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

stop what you are doing. before you make any repairs we must determine how old this welder is and how it is made. If it has a cooling fan the transformer windings are all aluminum. Lincoln then plated the aluminum transformer lead ends and bonded copper wires to them. those copper wires are then soldered to the range switch.
    the real old welders with out a fan, are all copper. and are a rare find today.
    If the short copper wire is still attached to the transformer you should be able to butt splice and new wire to the old one. after you shorten it a little.
    IF the copper to aluminum splice is blown the repair is trickier.
    You can use a butt splice to connect them. but you need a crimper that makes a square crimp. standard stak-on crimp will cause the aluminum wire to break.
    even with the square crimp it take two side by side for a good repair.
    also you will need a aluminum connect "grease" like noahlok. or the aluminum will oxide and burn again. Try posting a picture of the burnt wire. Might be able to help more. The welder primary wires are all aluminum and if the lug breaks off just use a set screw Chair lug to repair it.