Thread: Spray arc massive failure

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray arc massive failure

Looking pretty good now, thanks for the help louie

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Likes N2 Welding, Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost needed 3 passes there so you don't have a groove down the middle. Looks like your 1st pass was out a little too far from the corner and the 2nd pass was too high on the upper plate and not wide enough to give a smooth 2 pass weld. Possibly turning your heat up could have made a smoother 2 pass weld. Dual-Shield can do weird things at times for no apparent reason. Worked in a shop where a weldor threw the Mig gun across the floor because of porosity in a tight corner joint. I had the same thing happen. Welding a 4" pipe to a base plate with 4 gussets around it. 3/4 welded perfect but welding the last section all of a sudden there was porosity. Nothing changed, the pipe was on rollers so everything was easy to position. It was a real beatch to grind the porosity out and if I recall we had to repair it with 7018 stick to avoid the porosity coming back.

4. Dislikes TraditionalToolworks disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil, I am glad it worked out for you!
    Miller Multimatic 255

6. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel the frustration! Especially when there could be multiple problems and just trying to work through them.

That o-ring was really bad... good catch.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is looking for a source for those O-rings on the Euro torch for the gas port, here is a seller on Ebay that I bought some from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382009453654
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

there is a silicone grease that you can apply on the "O" ring to help, there has been a similar problem with Plasma torch "O" rings as the nozzles are change frequently.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

10. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    there is a silicone grease that you can apply on the "O" ring to help, there has been a similar problem with Plasma torch "O" rings as the nozzles are change frequently.
    I use this.
    Works great and does not conduct electricity.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If anyone is looking for a source for those O-rings on the Euro torch for the gas port, here is a seller on Ebay that I bought some from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382009453654
    Sweet thanks, I was looking for those

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Almost needed 3 passes there so you don't have a groove down the middle. Looks like your 1st pass was out a little too far from the corner and the 2nd pass was too high on the upper plate and not wide enough to give a smooth 2 pass weld. Possibly turning your heat up could have made a smoother 2 pass weld. Dual-Shield can do weird things at times for no apparent reason. Worked in a shop where a weldor threw the Mig gun across the floor because of porosity in a tight corner joint. I had the same thing happen. Welding a 4" pipe to a base plate with 4 gussets around it. 3/4 welded perfect but welding the last section all of a sudden there was porosity. Nothing changed, the pipe was on rollers so everything was easy to position. It was a real beatch to grind the porosity out and if I recall we had to repair it with 7018 stick to avoid the porosity coming back.
    I started doing weave beads, or is that frowned upon?

I find it very similar to welding with 7018

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen anyone do weaves with dual shield, but I am not sure why not. The consensus seems to be to do stringers. And yes, it is pretty much like a continuous roll of 7018, but with easier to clean slag. Same or better weld metal properties as 7018.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Stringers when welding uphill too?

Post Thanks / Like

Jodi “weld monger” did a video on learning dual shield. He started out using it with a weave. Then his buddy JD showed him running it straight works better. Been a while since I watched the video so don’t remember all the specifics but the general concensous is to run straight stringers.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

A slight weave wouldn't cause any problems and vertical up can definitely use a weave. Use you have to go pretty fast side to side vertical up but weave away. Did this welding winch mounts for winch trucks. Weave was 3/4 to 1 inch wide, no problems with porosity or slag inclusions. Similar to 7018 you have to keep the arc on the leading edge so the slag stays back of the puddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Some people will argue the point but the generally accepted wisdom is you need more than 80% argon to spray. I use 90/10 with no issues.
    I'm definitely one that will argue that spray transfer with c25 is possible, but it take a lot of arc energy, This is 800 IPM on .035 at 39 volts, makes a nice deep penetrating weld, but most machines wont output 39 volts.

but it is much easier to get a nice spray arc with less reactive gas, this is 29.5 volts with 600 IPM of .035 running 5% co2, 2% o2 gas.

20. Likes nickel_city_fab, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I'm definitely one that will argue that spray transfer with c25 is possible, but it take a lot of arc energy, This is 800 IPM on .035 at 39 volts, makes a nice deep penetrating weld, but most machines wont output 39 volts.

I used to get welds that looked just like that with straight argon and wire at 700 in a Miller CP-302 machine (damn near wide open) .045 70-s6 wire.
    Use a bigger hammer.