+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally! Full Power in the Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally! Full Power in the Shop

Why guess ? Just look on the panel cover and it will tell you if and where they can be installed if it doesn't then it isn't rated for them.

You do see all your full spaces on panel schedule are split in two for marking two circuits in each space and seems to suggest it is rated but that doesn't mean jack. The panel must be listed for them.

Not that it really matters that much in your situation. My point is the people reading this more that your deal. You can't use it all at once most likely.

I really have no problem with your installation and as far as safety goes your golden in my eyes, it was merrily the point of it being legal or not.

Does the panel label make any mention of them or is it no longer legible ?

Sorry for giving you grief about your installation. Licensed electrician for 44 years now and I would lose no sleep if I had to install the breakers exactly just like you did. Is it legal ? Maybe maybe not. But unless the panel specifically allows them in writing on it then they are not legal. Very hard to look up specs on the older panels if they are not legible on the cover so they may be but if cover don't say so then they aren't. Never meant to make it seem like you were given bad advice to use them only it may not actually be a legal installation which you have made a point of insisting that they are and the whole job is legal when I can see exposed romex in plain site down low in a open stud wall. That is not legal for sure.

The post made it sound like it was the answer for anyone needing more space. Just giving all members a heads up before they start stuffing them in their panel. And if they don't understand shared neutrals, you better learn that before installing any tandem/piggyback breakers in anything.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-25-2022 at 06:53 PM.

2. Likes metalmelter2021 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Number 4 is beautiful. You have a quality job. Over the years have wired a couple 3 dozen garages and most of the time use a 60 in the main and NEVER had one call back about tripped breaker and a couple of them were busy.
    The 4 be plenty feed for that type of thing. Enough to make a little air to plasma cut.
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-25-2022 at 07:39 PM.

4. Likes metalmelter2021 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Number 4 is beautiful. You have a quality job. Over the years have wired a couple 3 dozen garages and most of the time use a 60 in the main and NEVER had one call back about tripped breaker and a couple of them were busy.
    The 4 be plenty feed for that type of thing. Enough to make a little air to plasma cut.
    . Yep! I have a plasma cutter, and of course a compressor, it does a fine job so far, and I’m looking forward to using it on full power supply next time I cut some plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Sorry for giving you grief about your installation. Licensed electrician for 44 years now
    Don't worry, we greatly appreciate your direct input! We may not always listen to it, but still appreciate it. I know I've learned to think about a few extra things.

Metalmelter2021, you should see what I had to endure with when I was posted here trying to figure out how to wire up my rotary phase converter! I dubbed it, the FrankenVerter
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

7. Likes 52 Ford, pinetree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I've ever seen a DIY electrical post on the internet that hasn't received some potentially valid feedback and or criticism. There is so much complexity to the national code it's hard enough to be perfectly compliant with that, even as a licensed electrician, never mind all of the local differences.

I've got a panel my house (built in 2021) that only has a few AFCI breakers, and most people on the internet would assume that I'm out of compliance but my state only adopted part of the code that required AFCI protection on damn near everything.

The best thing to do is always be humble and refrain from referring to your work as legal until after the local AHJ inspector has come through and said it's legal.

9. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N55_6MT View Post

The best thing to do is always be humble and refrain from referring to your work as legal until after the local AHJ inspector has come through and said it's legal.
    . Sorry, rookie mistake!

Post Thanks / Like

never mind all of the local differences
    There aint much local difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time in a small shop its simply easy not top strike up while an air comp is on. But now we got plasma,,, the good news is much of the equipment is more modest. The benchmark for a real air comp is 5 hp and a heavier plasma could use 40, both rather intermittent normally. This is a case might not bother me to Jbox and add a convenience outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalmelter2021 View Post
    . Sorry, rookie mistake!
    LMAO !!!

Like I said sorry for acting negatively to your fine job. It was only the legal part that threw the bump in the road. Hope you get many years of good use out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The debate and the addition and if it wasnt for a bit of wrangling these threads would die quick sometimes. Guys like Danial, Wilie and others responsible for hundreds of correct installations thru explanation and even debate,,, argument too. Lots of guys learn the right way to do outlets and panels from forums, really right way due to some concensus in the end and some harassment till we sure the concept is clear which may take a while,,, may be poorly done at times by us but if a guy hangs in there has a chance of getting it.
    I been in South Fla,,, seen a little wire there and can easily see how tandems could be a peeve. Some have interest in V drop, mine personally is adequate service for sure but insuring adequate short circuit interuption. Doesnt always mean there isnt a better way to do it but cost is always has been a factor in wiring and welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Thisd is why I am somewhat adamant on occasion. Some of the opinions and ideas should have a legal disclaimer,,, its a great idea, its even beautiful, its the way I would do it if it was mine but I dont care what it cost, dont care if I ever utilize it. I like the preface of the Chilton manual where they describe choosing tooling decisions,,, they suggest adequate first and see how that goes and imply that there is no reason to simply toss money at it to see if it sticks,,, if you are driving and taking care of a car spending on things you need will come soon enough.
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-26-2022 at 08:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist