Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do I need on my first TIG welder that I want outgrow?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do I need on my first TIG welder that I want outgrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I wouldn't even think 20 yrs anymore,,, but would buy the best cheapest machine I could and figure on replacing it in 5, if it lasts longer and probably will then its a bonus and a win win and in 10 got to wonder what they will come up with next or be able to cheapen it further.
    I despise this attitude. This is exactly the attitude of my uncle. He has the cheapest welder, the cheapest bench grinder, and the cheapest drill press that money can buy.

Obviously all chinese. The welder died within 2 months, and the grinder/drill are so feeble they could barely even be called hobby tools... just toys.

I'm not saying buy the best every time, I'm jut saying, do your research and buy something based on your actual needs/wants.

I want to buy once and enjoy the tools I use, so I buy good ones. Generally 2nd hand, as that's what my budget allows. I only buy the cheapest when it doesn't matter.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

You can despise it all you want but how many stuck with an anchor needs a new board which will now cost more than a whole replacement machine they can make sparks with today? I know its easy to miss some words but I said cheapest good welder you can find and thats different. So much is generic anymore with labels slapped on, we now using a grinder that cost 30 that replaced ones we used to spend 100 on and they last better,,, this is different than buying a 9.95 HF special.
    Ya,,, why buy something you can own outright and use today when you could start saving a couple years for it, then insure it and worry about it forever.
    My neighbor comes over,, his chicom tig job spits up a board just after its 5 year warranty. Says,,, should have bought a Miller. This is a guy never bought a new good machine in his li9fe, has a whole garage full of broke ruffnecks he is always goanna get running cause,,, couldnt afford new one,,, but, wants me to help find a board for the chi machine and pissing cause its 300.
    He made a living with this thing, worked the snot out of it every day, ran it beyond what any homebody ever could, cost 100 a year to own it. This dumbazz cant really do simple math. 5K machine would have cost him 1000 a year and now be off warranty, thats not including what finance and warranty would cost. He can buy another machine today for similar in todays dollarsso in 6 years he is in for 1000 todal, half of it yest6erday instead of 5 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

buy something based on your actual needs/wants.
    What is it we been saying to this guy Captn Obvious or what is you been reading in this thread? Buyt,,,, of course better to buy someones second hand worn out stuff,,, that will surely last longer than some other new. Thats a sure bet.

Post Thanks / Like

While Americans are making payments on a Miller some guy in Thailand is doing the work with a 500$ machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble is that machine in Thailand is not available in our countries. I've seen vids of these gun welders using machines I've never heard of before. They wouldn't be using them if they were crap. What's up with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What type of work are planning on TIG welding is just to expand your welding skill?

Dave

THIS is the smartest, most intelligent question asked so far (IMHO). I know other people kind of skirted around this issue, but to me the first question is really "do you actually need a TIG welder, or is it just for fun, learning, etc." People who need a TIG welder should know what they need for features so as to not outgrow it. I would argue that most home gamers don't really need a TIG welder. Shovelon, Zank, B_C (RIP), Zapster actually need/needed a TIG welder for the specific jobs they were doing. Commercial jobs for money. But for a guy welding in his garage on DIY projects, there is little absolute need for a TIG welder. So the OP, who ghosted this thread, probably doesn't need one at all, in which case, go get a Primeweld 225, and don't worry about it.
    Miller Multimatic 255

7. Likes shovelon, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

I have own a TIG welder learn how use but my line of work just did not do use for any thing. I even try overhead not a good idea 😕.
    I learn first overhead weld and brazing with torch. Then years later with rod.

I have found most welders learning TIG want weld a beer and can only weld flat with any type of welding.

On paper with a MIG spool gun you weld down 20 gauge aluminum witch is a lot faster than TIG

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    THIS is the smartest, most intelligent question asked so far (IMHO). I know other people kind of skirted around this issue, but to me the first question is really "do you actually need a TIG welder, or is it just for fun, learning, etc." People who need a TIG welder should know what they need for features so as to not outgrow it. I would argue that most home gamers don't really need a TIG welder. Shovelon, Zank, B_C (RIP), Zapster actually need/needed a TIG welder for the specific jobs they were doing. Commercial jobs for money. But for a guy welding in his garage on DIY projects, there is little absolute need for a TIG welder. So the OP, who ghosted this thread, probably doesn't need one at all, in which case, go get a Primeweld 225, and don't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    x2 on the Primeweld Tig 225x. Under $900 shipped to your door and has many of the features of much more expensive models. It even has a watercooler ($400) and a ready to weld water torch (CK20F) for like $210 extra. For $1500 all-in, it is one helluva machine. Outstanding customer service too. Check out some of the reviews/demos on YT.