+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lincoln vertical bullet welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln vertical bullet welder

Quote Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
    Is that an acetylene generator to the right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Sure looks like it -- you don't see many of those any more either! I've heard that they can do 1,000 CFH all day long.
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

That what everyone needs to cut costs on gas today.
    Now a block of dry ice 🧊 for CO2

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    That what everyone needs to cut costs on gas today.
    Now a block of dry ice 🧊 for CO2

Dave
    That would be N2

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Even the Amish dont use old welder like that, they gotta make their own power so were early inverter adopters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    Back to the basic question can it run off a add a phase or rotary phase maybe if you have a big enough one which goes back to the feasibility it probably runs on 35 to 40 amps so gonna take 60 amps to start it ! So for a short duration you need a lot of amps
    can you run it dropping one leg probably but your going to be derated!
    Can you add capacitors and etc , etc ,etc , yes maybe but the average guy at home isn’t going to do that the feasibility of it is not there
    Feasibility , reliability and the ability to do some of that restricts the average user
    I also will bring up one point that all of that brings up questions if the insurance man comes and looks things over
    If it was feasible everyone would do it because there are a lot of those old motor Generators around they wouldn’t be going to the junkyard
    My point is we shouldn’t be telling people it can be done if you don’t have one sitting in your shop working telling somebody who is new at this that it can be done in theory isn’t the best practice .
    I haven't done it. A friend is an electrician & self taught machinist. He uses a rope around the shaft to start a three phase motor on single phase. This is pretty lame power source. He then switches other motors on using the first as power supply. A bare minimum of three three phase motors must be run idling to supply a third phase & ultimately supply the lathe, or mill you hope to supply. He estimated the motor doing the work to produce 1/2 the torque & horsepower it should.

It causes several problems in the loaded motor, is not a perfect system.
    After a while,,,, I can have any of this I want for relatively free, could have for sure several timer over and if I did would have moved to town for a shop due to roads and power. Stuff changes, I thought I might end up with some kind of machine shop but a fire and starting over trimmed it back and over a period of time just found a shortcut or simpler way of dealing with the stuff. I got buds with machines if I gotta but so rare we cant come up with something.
    I can do without a 3 ph converter but a battery drill is another matter. I live on the end of a rural power line, the poco is very good but they really dont want us starting big motors anyway. Biggest motor I have is 5 and dont own or use anything would overheat a 10 wire.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-06-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand it as a hobby and the true tech but hate it when a newbie comes and starts asking about converting this CP200 he got such a deal on or some stuff like that, even the big ole trannys, wanna run then on a dryer outlet, sheet, just junk. This usually goes,,, my best buds pal the maint electrician down at the plant said,,,, ha Point being, after a while can really appreciate the simplicity of plugging it in,,,, the power strip, a 3 way and even lamp cord on occasion. Had a bud call a while back and gonna rush off to the supply house for the ultimate wire job in a racecar/cargo trailer he bought. Got every scheme dreamed up a guy can think of, banks of breakers for every frickin light and about 300 ft of conduit and a box of switches.
    I try to tell him, he has small genset, get 2 power strips and a couple lamp cords,. Put any stuff you might want to run inverter on one, use another for lights and plug both in to a 3 way and get heavy cord so when you got land power get that, small bat charger, when you invert simply inplug the strip and plug to inverter and when you use genset plug both in to it. Hand plug in lights to lamp cords. Wire this in about an hour for 50$ minus the cost of a cord. Infinitely adaptable.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-06-2022 at 09:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist