+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage Stereos...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Stereos...

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    low budget Makita job site radio for me ...

Not trying to get too far off topic, but how do you like that face shield? I almost bought one like that for plasma cutting, but never pulled the trigger. I'm using Lincoln shade 5 goggles right now.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Not trying to get too far off topic, but how do you like that face shield? I almost bought one like that for plasma cutting, but never pulled the trigger. I'm using Lincoln shade 5 goggles right now.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Might have to pick one (or a few) up. I've gotten kinda bad wearing eye pro...

4. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might have to pick one (or a few) up. I've gotten kinda bad wearing eye pro...

I use my AD on passive... gives face protection from sparks too.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I use my AD on passive... gives face protection from sparks too.
    Problem I have is my AD hood stays so disgusting that it might as well be on shade 9 when it's passive

I have a new (cheap) lens coming tomorrow. Aught to be night and day going from the worn out lens that's in it.

When I say worn out, I mean it's WORN OUT. I've already replaced the potentiometer on it once, the built in batteries are bad (started getting arc flashed cause they won't always hold a charge), and it's been wiped off enough times that it's sorta scuffed up.

I think I paid something like $20 for the lens on Amazon LOL

If it works, great. Otherwise, I'm just gonna buy a new AD hood (Optrel?) And put a passive in the old hood.

Post Thanks / Like

A little something I built recently. Really good sound, sturdy too!

Gar

Name:  0468562A-2764-4FDE-BB89-E9FFD59D499F.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  79.8 KB
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

8. Likes Freebirdwelds, 455dan, whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frieed View Post
    I have a pioneer receiver I bought in '91, a pair of 20$ garage sale POS speakers, and a PC running Linux to stream Pandora using the Pianobar terminal app.
    To be honest... the Acoustic Research speakers I use for the 2 rear channels I got from our local "free" section at the dump (waste Management).
    They were perfect other than needing the foam surrounds replaced.

i ordered up a $10 kit and re- foamed them, They are good sounding small speakers.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

10. Likes whtbaron, SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a pretty nerdy system in the garage with KEF speakers, Triad subwoofers, amplifiers, CD changer, tuner, the works but gave it up in the new house for a pair of Sonos Play:5s. They sound pretty good and get plenty loud and it's nice to save space not needing the whole rack 'o gear.
    Last edited by N55_6MT; 07-02-2022 at 10:42 AM.

12. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage Stereos...

Playing in bands for years, I've got tons of equipment but I set up a small system for the garage.

Crown amp with a sonic maximizer into a small mixer.

Into four 12" floor monitors with tweeters that I mounted on the wall.

It provides a robust sound.

I usually keep it pretty civil unless I have a few beers in me.

Hard to get a good picture in here.

But if I crank it, it will drive you out of the garage.

Last edited by John T; 07-02-2022 at 07:44 PM.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! The "legs" of my computer desk are a pair of JBL L100's. Man, for your sake I hope you kept those Klipsch Heresys and the L150s. They ain't cheap! The freaking L100's cost damn near $1000 last time I checked.

i got a pair of l100's i took in on a bad debt in the 90's, one is missing a mid. i'd like to get a mid for it thats somewhat comperable. do u have any suggestions/ideas ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i got a pair of l100's i took in on a bad debt in the 90's, one is missing a mid. i'd like to get a mid for it thats somewhat comperable. do u have any suggestions/ideas ?
    Yes. Yes I do have suggestions. You're going to have to give a few days to get back to you on it, though. Off the top of my head, the only thing I can remember about replacements for the L100's is the tweeters. The original tweeters are LE25's (with the foam surrounds that like to get all crunchy) and the later LE26's are a direct replacement, but have a plastic surround instead of foam.

While you wait for me to get back to you about the L100 mids, here's a pretty sweet JBL L100 ad from the 70's.

Edit: The speaker in the ad is upside down! What kinda fool puts their tweets at the bottom?

Name:  BlownAway.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  102.4 KB
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-02-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you, there is something strange about the tweeter, i think its got like sparkley stuff sprayed around it or something ( not sure, i only look at it about every night) .
    no rush, please take ur time, i appreciate the help. ive seen that ad many times, but didnt know it was for my speakers. my den is vintage looking w/ almost all black and white pics and stuff, i better get that pic and frame it near the stereo
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-02-2022 at 10:39 PM.

17. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    thank you, there is something strange about the tweeter, i think its got like sparkley stuff sprayed around it or something ( not sure, i only look at it about every night) .
    no rush, please take ur time, i appreciate the help. ive seen that ad many times, but didnt know it was for my speakers. my den is vintage looking w/ almost all black and white pics and stuff, i better get that pic and frame it near the stereo
    The picture is by Steve Steigman, for what it's worth. https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Steigma.../dp/B0016D83AE

Edit: I'm sure the print that I linkedto on Amazon is infringing on any copywrites or whatever Steigman has on that photograph, but realistically, if he was a successful photographer back in the 70's, he's probably dead by now. Drugs and whatnot.

Plus, he set that L100 up upside-down... That's just disrespectful! Having the tweeter that low down probably makes it sound funny, too.

If you fool with the foam surrounds on those tweeters, keep in mind that there are two VERY SMALL AND FRAGILE wires that run to the voice coil directly under the adhesive that holds the foam on. Be careful! Use Goo Gone or something like that to loosen the adhesive and gently remove it instead of scraping it off with something. Strong solvents are probably best avoided since the tweeter itself is fairly fragile. You can buy the foam precut with adhesive preapplied from Ebay. When I get the LE26's, I might put the foam on there just to keep it looking like the LE25's.

Ya know, it's funny... I haven't even THOUGHT about those speakers in years. I've gotten so used to having them as part of my desk.

I have a pair of Yamaha's (NR something somethings? Got them as a package deal with some other stuff) That a a bit bigger than the L100's. I might use those as my desk legs and bring the L100's back into rotation. They sound bitchin' anyway.
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-02-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a PA system from a restaurant that went out of business. I like monophonic sound with ceiling speakers over stereo in the shop cause I move around a bit and I find it annoying to not be in the right spot for stereo (or surround sound) when listening to most music.

Post Thanks / Like

My basement shop is all Polk Audio Speakers , old Yamaha Receiver and a six disc CD player . Two tower speakers and 6 bookshelf speakers placed throughout for full sound.

For outside or garage, I recently got the Anker Motion Boom plus Bluetooth speaker. I signed up for it before it was avaiable and got a $40.00 discount. It is a great speaker and I use my phone and the SIRIUS app for my 60's and 70's stations. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    I got a PA system ...
    Yep, I bought a Yamaha 500W powered mixer a few years back and a couple of Carvin stage monitors...this rig CRANKS. Great also for outdoor parties. I can thump the whole neighborhood. I feed Internet radio into it from a Linux Chromebook, or play my own music on it from the Chromebook or an iPod...

You won't get audiophile fidelity and THD out of it, but at air-carbon arc gouging volumes out in the yard, who cares? It goes as loud as I could ever want, and sounds great turned up. To paraphrase the Stones, "If it don't sound right, give it another five!" If I ever want more volume, I'll add a couple more stage monitors. Really like the old Carvins -- one plus to those is that the boxes are made from plywood rather than MDF or whatever...more durable. Did I mention they're LOUD?

I'm digging what you did with your dental crown mold John T...now I know what to do with mine!
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 07-03-2022 at 08:25 AM.

23. Likes John T, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post

I'm digging what you did with your dental crown mold John T...now I know what to do with mine!
    My buddy sent them to me in a gift box along with a bunch of other stuff a while back.
    You never told me who they belonged to.

But it makes A good garage conversation piece.

Your garage system would benefit from a sonic maximizer
    They are affordable and easy to hook up and use.

It REALLY helps contour the sound.
    BBE Makes a couple different models mine is the 362.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

25. Likes StandarDyne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    My buddy sent them to me in a gift box along with a bunch of other stuff a while back.
    You never told me who they belonged to.

But it makes A good garage conversation piece.

Your garage system would benefit from a sonic maximizer
    They are affordable and easy to hook up and use.

It REALLY helps contour the sound.
    BBE Makes a couple different models mine is the 362.
    LOL! I just spent a couple minutes studying all of the photos on this thread trying to find the "dental crown mold". I worked construction for a while... I was looking for actual dentil molding.
    Name:  squaredentiltrim.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  224.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I just spent a couple minutes studying all of the photos on this thread trying to find the "dental crown mold". I worked construction for a while... I was looking for actual dentil molding.
    Name:  squaredentiltrim.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  224.1 KB
    Same think only different.

I worked installing seamless "aluminum" siding back in the day.

Did plenty of dental / dentil molding.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

28. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Same think only different.

I worked installing seamless "aluminum" siding back in the day.

Did plenty of dental / dentil molding.
    We did mostly vinyl and hardie plank siding. A lot of PVC trim boards and vinyl coated construction metal.

And yeah, I've always spelled it dental molding (cause it looks like teeth?). When I looked up that picture on Google, it corrected me to "dentil".

Post Thanks / Like

The picture is by Steve Steigman, for what it's worth. https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Steigma.../dp/B0016D83AE

Edit: I'm sure the print that I linkedto on Amazon is infringing on any copywrites or whatever Steigman has on that photograph, but realistically, if he was a successful photographer back in the 70's, he's probably dead by now. Drugs and whatnot.

Plus, he set that L100 up upside-down... That's just disrespectful! Having the tweeter that low down probably makes it sound funny, too.

If you fool with the foam surrounds on those tweeters, keep in mind that there are two VERY SMALL AND FRAGILE wires that run to the voice coil directly under the adhesive that holds the foam on. Be careful! Use Goo Gone or something like that to loosen the adhesive and gently remove it instead of scraping it off with something. Strong solvents are probably best avoided since the tweeter itself is fairly fragile. You can buy the foam precut with adhesive preapplied from Ebay. When I get the LE26's, I might put the foam on there just to keep it looking like the LE25's.

Ya know, it's funny... I haven't even THOUGHT about those speakers in years. I've gotten so used to having them as part of my desk.

I have a pair of Yamaha's (NR something somethings? Got them as a package deal with some other stuff) That a a bit bigger than the L100's. I might use those as my desk legs and bring the L100's back into rotation. They sound bitchin' anyway.

Years ago I had a set of the JBL 4311 "Studio Monitors" JBL always set the studio speakers with the tweeters on the bottom , Man after looking them up I sold them for about a fifth of what they bring now...

Must be like a fine wine.

Is it Live or...

Maxell was always better...

Last edited by 455dan; 07-04-2022 at 12:10 AM.
    1988 HF Power MIG 150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    I get by listening to an old cd/radio w/ intermittent volume problems... maybe this thread is a sign to upgrade.
    Well, you're not the only one, I just have an old 1970's clock radio in the garage.
    Name:  IMG_7409.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  91.0 KBName:  IMG_7411.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  107.2 KB
    It only pics up a few channels because it only has an analog tuner.

I also need to upgrade to something better with a digital tuner.

Doug

32. Likes Gar, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased this Japan-made Panasonic am/fm clock radio new in 1983! And it still works and sounds great!

They just don’t make things like they use too!

Name:  2EC3D6EF-30DD-46DA-B26C-4B1157180C69.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  131.3 KB
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

34. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

, sounds like a expensive pedastool for a desk, and maybe accidently kicked. "they sound bitchin anyway" , lol, ilike it, cuz thats a word i never quit using since jr high. "bad ***", would be another. yes the sound bitchin, i got mine on top of 2 drawer filing cabinets in different corners, so its a good height for distributing sound. any aftermarket mid, that you can reccomend would be fine too. i dont know much about stereos, or how to figure the calibration/input needed to run properly. i saw a used mid on ebay for 175, - thats alot of money. anyway take ur time on thinking about it please, itsbeeen missing the mid for the 25 yrs ive had it, so a lil longer wont matter. the upside down speaker just adds to the off the wall pic that it is, and yea, likely he was prorbly into drugs
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-06-2022 at 01:08 AM.

36. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a replacement for the l110-112 that is the same mid from the 4311 studio monitors I had.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29508004162...=&toolid=10050
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22505150429...=&toolid=10050

Finally looked up the Altec Voice of the Theater speakers we inherited and was thinking of using as garage speakers, Found the model name on the back Barcelona
    i think this guy is asking a bit much for this nicer pair but Holy Cow...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28444964700...3ABFBMmvyvobpg
    Last edited by 455dan; 07-06-2022 at 03:19 AM.
    1988 HF Power MIG 150

38. Likes 52 Ford, 123weld liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist