+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage Stereos...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Stereos...

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    , sounds like a expensive pedastool for a desk, and maybe accidently kicked. "they sound bitchin anyway" , lol, ilike it, cuz thats a word i never quit using since jr high. "bad ***", would be another. yes the sound bitchin, i got mine on top of 2 drawer filing cabinets in different corners, so its a good height for distributing sound. any aftermarket mid, that you can reccomend would be fine too. i dont know much about stereos, or how to figure the calibration/input needed to run properly. i saw a used mid on ebay for 175, - thats alot of money. anyway take ur time on thinking about it please, itsbeeen missing the mid for the 25 yrs ive had it, so a lil longer wont matter. the upside down speaker just adds to the off the wall pic that it is, and yea, likely he was prorbly into drugs
    LOL I turned the L100s so the drivers were facing outboard left and right. The only reason I used them for the desk is because I needed a desk and they weren't hooked up. I already had a 1/2" glass table top.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I said bitchin' out loud... just the first word that came to mind when I was trying to describe them. I actually went back to change it, but decided against it. I mean, they DO sound bitchin'!

I haven't forgotten to look into replacement mids for you L100s. I've just been busy.

I'll try and get to it tomorrow evening. I'm going to have a long day running a DA sander and then either getting out the spray gun or brushing on paint and polyurethane. Redoing some furniture for someone. First coat of poly didn't set right due to the weather. Gotta sand it off and start over, then some a-hole dog chewed up a set of (expensive) rocking chairs. Gotta fix that. Short of replacing entire pieces of the chairs, I'm going to try to use wood filler to get any tooth marks filled, then a mix of wood fibers and epoxy to fill up the bad spots, then shape it with a rasp and sand paper. If I have to replace anything, that means lathe work. Previous owners drenched the chairs in white latex house paint, too. I guess to hide the damage a little? Makes it a PITA to fix. Gotta remove the paint to get filler and epoxy to stick!

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and looked at my L100s... I forgot about this.... guess I blocked it out.

I remember the tweeter having an issue. Whhhaaaatttever. I have a LOT of speakers. I'll get em fixed eventually

By the way - you mentioned Altec speakers. JBL stands for James B Lansing. I had a computer a few years ago that had Altec Lansing audio. Guess they merged at some point?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=52 Ford;8871473]I just went and looked at my L100s... I forgot about this.... guess I blocked it out.

I remember the tweeter having an issue. Whhhaaaatttever. I have a LOT of speakers. I'll get em fixed eventually

By the way - you mentioned Altec speakers. JBL stands for James B Lansing. I had a computer a few years ago that had Altec Lansing audio. Guess they merged at some point?

Are these the JBL 100's from the 70's ?? I had those with the orange type grills and remember they were $300.00 each back. They were awesome with my Sansui 8 receiver and my Dual 1219 turntable. Great setup back then.

4. Likes 52 Ford, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Years ago I had a set of the JBL 4311 "Studio Monitors" JBL always set the studio speakers with the tweeters on the bottom , Man after looking them up I sold them for about a fifth of what they bring now...
    I've got a pair of JBL S38s in the living room, good Lord they CRANK and sound GREAT.

I really wanted JBL stage monitors for the powered mixer, but the MDF construction was a deal-breaker since I use them outdoors a lot...plus the (plywood) Carvins were too good a deal to pass up.

6. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BD1;8871481]
    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I just went and looked at my L100s... I forgot about this.... guess I blocked it out.

Are these the JBL 100's from the 70's ?? I had those with the orange type grills and remember they were $300.00 each back. They were awesome with my Sansui 8 receiver and my Dual 1219 turntable. Great setup back then.
    Yeah, these were bought in the 70's.

JBL actually started making them again a few years back. They ain't cheap, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    LOL I turned the L100s so the drivers were facing outboard left and right. The only reason I used them for the desk is because I needed a desk and they weren't hooked up. I already had a 1/2" glass table top.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I said bitchin' out loud... just the first word that came to mind when I was trying to describe them. I actually went back to change it, but decided against it. I mean, they DO sound bitchin'!

I haven't forgotten to look into replacement mids for you L100s. I've just been busy.

I'll try and get to it tomorrow evening. I'm going to have a long day running a DA sander and then either getting out the spray gun or brushing on paint and polyurethane. Redoing some furniture for someone. First coat of poly didn't set right due to the weather. Gotta sand it off and start over, then some a-hole dog chewed up a set of (expensive) rocking chairs. Gotta fix that. Short of replacing entire pieces of the chairs, I'm going to try to use wood filler to get any tooth marks filled, then a mix of wood fibers and epoxy to fill up the bad spots, then shape it with a rasp and sand paper. If I have to replace anything, that means lathe work. Previous owners drenched the chairs in white latex house paint, too. I guess to hide the damage a little? Makes it a PITA to fix. Gotta remove the paint to get filler and epoxy to stick!

take ur time, u sound busy. all my talk about needing a mid, and now u need one - i hope i didnt jinx you, catcha ya later

9. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My shop sound system is much simpler and cheaper than what you guys have. It has worked fine for about 9 years.

Sorry about sideways photo - I can never get them oriented right.

OEM radio from my 2013 Nissan Frontier after I upgraded it, 20 year old 12v power supply from my ham radio (2 meter mobile still attached), extra car antenna, and random speakers that have been in the same plastic grocery bags for 9 years. Bags keep metal dust off speakers. Only complaint is without a battery it won’t keep presets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go.

12. Likes wb4rt liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist