Thread: Moving from HF to Lincoln Viking or Miller Classic or Jackson 47100... Opine?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Moving from HF to Lincoln Viking or Miller Classic or Jackson 47100... Opine?

Been using a $30 Harbor Freight auto-dark helmet for a few years, mostly home and personal auto resto work. I pretty much have no complaints with its operation and options but would like to progress to one of the clearer view options now available. Staying with my penchant for value I'm looking at one of the following options - Miller Classic 287803 / Lincoln Viking 1740 / Jackson 47100

I've not had a chance to hands-on look at any of these so ergonomics (headgear) is the big unknown. Aside from that the most significant difference I can see between the three is the Jackson has an appreciably larger lens paired with quad sensors while the other two are dual sensor small lens units. The latter doesn't concern me as I never found the small lens of the HF helmet to be a hindrance. Among a couple other minor differences another would be batteries -- Viking uses AAA while the other two are disks. Funny thing is, I don't even know if the HF helmet has a battery. She's been going strong now for about 4 years without hiccup.

So, for a MIG and Stick welder might there be any opinions as relates to these three helmets?

*EDIT* -- I just noted that the Jackson is pretty much non-adjustable (sensitivity/delay) and fixed at 3/10 shades.
    Last edited by golem; 06-30-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from HF to Lincoln Viking or Miller Classic or Jackson 47100... Opine?

For my money there is no better helmet for clarity than the Optrel crystal 2.0. I just got one for Father's day. My Lincoln viking 3350 is a close second, for half the money. But if you are like me, struggling to see and want the absolute best visual clarity, for me it is the Optrel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from HF to Lincoln Viking or Miller Classic or Jackson 47100... Opine?

I'm tempted to check out the HF Arcsafe hood.

large viewing area and clear lens tech as well.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I like Lincoln Automatic I purchased from Home Depot in 2018 works great 👍

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by golem View Post
    Been using a $30 Harbor Freight auto-dark helmet for a few years, mostly home and personal auto resto work. I pretty much have no complaints with its operation and options but would like to progress to one of the clearer view options now available. Staying with my penchant for value I'm looking at one of the following options - Miller Classic 287803 / Lincoln Viking 1740 / Jackson 47100

I've not had a chance to hands-on look at any of these so ergonomics (headgear) is the big unknown. Aside from that the most significant difference I can see between the three is the Jackson has an appreciably larger lens paired with quad sensors while the other two are dual sensor small lens units. The latter doesn't concern me as I never found the small lens of the HF helmet to be a hindrance. Among a couple other minor differences another would be batteries -- Viking uses AAA while the other two are disks. Funny thing is, I don't even know if the HF helmet has a battery. She's been going strong now for about 4 years without hiccup.

So, for a MIG and Stick welder might there be any opinions as relates to these three helmets?

*EDIT* -- I just noted that the Jackson is pretty much non-adjustable (sensitivity/delay) and fixed at 3/10 shades.

Post Thanks / Like

Much appreciate the replies!

@Louie1961 - While I'd like to go with an upper tier helmet like that Optrel (and would if warranted) it's difficult to justify for my usage. I can go a year before needing to refill a 60cf tank.

@Brocolli1 - At first I thought you were taking the mickey to me about my extended use of a $30 Harbor Freight helmet, then I investigated your mention. That Vulcan Arcsafe is actually quite impressive in specs. All values very much mimic that of the middle tier ($150-$250) Miller's and Lincoln's. Clear view tech, switching speed, large glass, modes and all. That had me take a second look at the Tekware on Amazon for 'its-n-giggles and at under $90 it's specs are nearly comparable to the Vulcan. Only real difference (besides physical design) is the 1/10,000 switching speed being half the claimed speed of the Vulcan's 1/25,000. Again, all taken with a grain of salt.

@smithdoor - I think you're reading my mind. Pretty sure I'm going to order the Lincoln Viking 1740. I see it for $103 at the moment and that seems a steal for a 4C fully adjustable helmet. It probably doesn't have the most comfortable headgear but it can't be of any lesser quality than my HF helmet. Unless I'm spot stitching a body panel or floor pan it's usually only a matter of minutes before it's no longer being worn.

Will probably order in the morning so if anyone thinks I'm making a mistake (something bad about the 1740 I'm unaware of) please don't hold back. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson True Sight II. Very spendy, but worth the bucks. At my advanced stage of partial blindness, I can still run a bead. I'm looking forward to what it looks like once I get the cataracts taken care of this month, or a bit further on. We missed the doc appointment a few weeks back due to K'kins brake problems.

The True Sight gives actual puddle color. Not green, not blue, but the orange color of molten metal. They're a joy to use. But........you're lookin' at around 350-500 to pick one up

Post Thanks / Like

My dad said getting cataract surgery is like getting new eyes. I'm lucky I haven't needed it yet but interesting that cataracts is a possible side effect of the trial drug I'm on. It must be working because the Myeloma is in full remission. I was very pleased I could see decently when doing a little welding this year. Last year I had trouble seeing what I was doing. I don't know if the Myeloma or any of my meds could have caused my poor vision while welding last year. I'm just using a tried and true Tiger Hood with a #10 lens. A light cheater lens would probably be a good addition for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I ended up getting the Viking 1740 with the 4C lens and can say it offers very much improved clarity, adjustability, and ergonomics. Probably not difficult to surpass the HF helmet. Now, if I can refrain from trying out a top-tier helmet my contentment should remain quite elevated. Highly recommend it to any hobbyist wanting a quality helmet at a very reasonable price. This purchase also affords me the confidence that the base lens does offer full UV protection. Even the cheapest "should" but unless you can measure this...

That all said I have to give props to the HF helmet. Most of my welding is on sheet metal which inevitable means spot stitching and, since this means constant switching of the lens, I was amazed to never have been given reason to believe the $30 helmet was not doing its job. Not once was I flashed nor ever found my eyes weary. Only problem I had with the helmet (aside from the lack of advanced lens clarity) is that sensitivity was always way too, well, sensitive. Bringing any light close enough to the weld piece for a clear view would activate the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

if i was getting a new helmet today the 2450adv is one i would really be considering.
    in the past ive had zero interest in lincoln helmets but they seem to be stepping up their game with the new 2450adv
    invertig 221 water cooled
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    if i was getting a new helmet today the 2450adv is one i would really be considering.
    in the past ive had zero interest in lincoln helmets but they seem to be stepping up their game with the new 2450adv
    Appreciate the reply.

Yup. That 2450adv is a really nice helmet with a fair number of upgrades (9.3, headgear, light, 2amp) that would be a plus to all, especially a tradesman. If it weren't 3x the cost of the 1740 I would have given it a second look. Having used mine now for the better part of a week I'm not sure that my usage could benefit from a pro style helmet. The current visibility is exponentially better than what I had and the adjustment setting actually do, in minute increments, what it is they're there for. What I'm really hoping for is that in the future my needs (skills & hobby volume) grow to where a $300+ helmet is warranted and I can relegate the 1740 to backup, spectator or loaner status. ;-)