Thread: HTP MTS 220 ProPulse -Gas selection

Post Thanks / Like

HTP MTS 220 ProPulse -Gas selection

Just upgraded my MIG from a MillerMatic 175 to a HTP ProPulse 220 MTS and need to get another gas Cylinder.

I am debating on a standard 75/25 MIG Mix or getting a 90/10 cylinder.
    Initial plan is to do sheetmetal on my Land Cruiser project, but I'd also like flexibility for doing pulsed and spray transfer on some thicker stuff (like bumpers).

Ideally, I'll have BOTH cylinders, but budget was mostly blown on the new machine.
    I think the sheet metal project will come first.
    What is the recommendation here?
    75/25 Mig Mix?
    James
    AHP 200X TIG
    HTP ProPulse MTS 220
    Chinese O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HTP MTS 220 ProPulse -Gas selection

Go with 75/25 mix. Nice thing about 75/25 is you could step up to dual shield wire if you really get into some heavier material.

3. Likes tigerstripe40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same position last year when I bought my HTP PP220, only had the 75/25 in a 250cf tank. I Love this machine, primarily bought it for Aluminum (so was using my 300cf Argon tanks then), but had a trailer project come along and wanted to get the full benefits of Spray. I traded-in an old 80cf of Nitrogen, plus a small fee, and got a 150cf 90/10.

Now I Really like this machine The proper "spray" gas made a noticeable difference (this was with 1/4" and not applicable to you body panels maybe though) so, keep it in mind for the future, get some 90/10 at some point.

Speaking of body panels,, do you have Argon now? Because I recently did my body work with Sil Bronze and this machine was just Great for that too! (you can buy 2lbs of it on an 8" reel from USAWELD)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I was in the same position last year when I bought my HTP PP220, only had the 75/25 in a 250cf tank. I Love this machine, primarily bought it for Aluminum (so was using my 300cf Argon tanks then), but had a trailer project come along and wanted to get the full benefits of Spray. I traded-in an old 80cf of Nitrogen, plus a small fee, and got a 150cf 90/10.

Now I Really like this machine The proper "spray" gas made a noticeable difference (this was with 1/4" and not applicable to you body panels maybe though) so, keep it in mind for the future, get some 90/10 at some point.

Speaking of body panels,, do you have Argon now? Because I recently did my body work with Sil Bronze and this machine was just Great for that too! (you can buy 2lbs of it on an 8" reel from USAWELD)
    YEah, I have a 125 Cf cylinder of pure argon for my TIG machine.

Trouble with my TIG machine is that it will take me a long long time to TIG in all of the body work I need to do, when MIG is perfectly acceptable.

Also its an AHP AlphaTIG with some problems (doesn't taper off the right way, the Amperage reads 40 amps too high) and no longer under warranty. I can still work it for aluminum but it's really ready to be replaced/upgraded. The $$$ I had set aside for a TIG upgrade became this new MIG machine.
    James
    AHP 200X TIG
    HTP ProPulse MTS 220
    Chinese O/A

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't TIG those panels, the HTP will spray / pulse the SiBr wire (it uses Argon for this). This is the way autobody shops do a lot of repairs now. Current procedures mandate that the high strength, thin, newer metals NOT be welded. But, I gotta tell ya,,, it's a Very cool way to do the joint! It's as fast as MIG welding and a lot easier to grind flush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I wouldn't TIG those panels, the HTP will spray / pulse the SiBr wire (it uses Argon for this). This is the way autobody shops do a lot of repairs now. Current procedures mandate that the high strength, thin, newer metals NOT be welded. But, I gotta tell ya,,, it's a Very cool way to do the joint! It's as fast as MIG welding and a lot easier to grind flush.
    Oh Oh,

I tried SI Bronze a while back after buying a roll of .024? - HTP only had the small diameter stuff at the time I ordered.

I set the program to C25 and the welds were not great.

Now I know why,...

I think I used ~c 25 gas. (Stargon 9) Although I still don't know the exact mix, because they do not disclose it.
    I thought that arc looked funny.

It was my one disappointing result with the Pro Pulse.

Now I think I know why

Major Operator ERROR... have straight Argon as well.

Will have to give Si Bronze another try at some point.

I don't have the correct spray transfer gas yet either, The Stargon 9 which I think is around 80% Argon 20% co2 It is not recommended for spray, I need to buy a cylinder of the Spray specific gas and Since i will be buying another cylinder of Stargon sure wish they were more specific on the mix ratios since they list no less than 6 other Stargon mixes that list spray and some that also say pulse and spray.

Tigerstripe 40 You will really like welding with the 220 Pro pulse.

ps. which " 1"of these Stargon mixes would be best for Spray and Pulse
    Thinking the Stargon #3 looks good to round out the gasses

http://www.oxarc.com/star_blend.ydev

Hope I am not hi jacking your thread, but looks like a related question to Op's as well.
    Last edited by 455dan; 07-01-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Go strictly 100%Argon AND a C25 tank. Merge them with a western Y-adatper model 111 and you can have both C25 and C10 for spray & pulsed spray on most programs (except stainless). I can share the spreadsheets with the flowrates with you.

Last edited by Oscar; 07-01-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

9. Likes 455dan, tigerstripe40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Go strictly 100%Argon AND a C25 tank. Merge them with a western Y-adatper model 111 and you can have both C25 and C10 for spray & pulsed spray on most programs (except stainless). I can share the spreadsheets with the flowrates with you.

Great, That will save me buying another tank, thanks Oscar.

The only draw back, well maybe not a drawback, is I will need to make a cart for the cylinders instead of carrying a single on the back of whichever welder I am using.

I do have 2 of the HTP (flow) regs already.

Only other things to buy are some male and female to barb fittings and some more tubing, Which after putting the y 111 in the cart, brings up some questions the specs say RH, 9/16" - 18 but the hoses with fittings shown are listed mostly as 5/8".

Color me confused.
    Last edited by 455dan; 07-02-2022 at 01:16 AM.
    1988 HF Power MIG 150

Post Thanks / Like

On that setup, I didn't use the adapters with the HTP flow meters. That way I kept all of it 9/16-18 size. The female fittings attached to the flowmeters, are the same exact ones attaching to the Y. I get them at my LWS. At the single port facing down in the picture, I used a male-to-male coupler. Also just FYI, the 111 Y that I used is meant to be used as a splitter, not a "combiner", but it works none the less, regardless of what the flow direction arrows point to.

I use the 3/16" hose barb fittings to keep the hose ID small for less stored gas, and the black braided hose I get from HTP by the foot.
    The single ear clamps I get from Toollots, pack of 100 is $10 + ship: https://www.toolots.com/crimp-steple...mm-100pcs.html

On the HTP machines they use a BSP thread at the machine inlet, so I had to re-use the [HTP] nut from the original hose, but I used a 3/16" nipple/barb (like the ones in the pic) that I had to turn down just a smidge on the lathe so it slips in to the BSP nut from HTP. I have plenty of extras of all this stuff, so if you need any of these parts or if you want one fully built for you, I can have one shipped out Monday morning. Plug-n-play ready.

Here is the chart for obtaining 92/8 using 100% Ar + C25:

Here is the PDF:

C8 using 100% Ar + C25

If you want one for C10, I can generate that no problem, but it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

Now a days, I have a triple-tank setup for MIG with 100% Argon, 100% CO₂, and 100% O₂, using a Frankenmixer™. I can dial in anything I want.

Last edited by Oscar; 07-02-2022 at 02:08 AM.

12. Likes tigerstripe40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never used an HTP Propulse, so I am not sure what the programming can or can't do. But on my Multimatic 255 I find that 90/10 gas works great for all things I would weld with ER70S6 wire. Short circuit or pulse, makes no difference, they both run well with 90/10. The first one is pulse, 90/10 gas, 270 ipm, arc length 50, arc control 40, 0.035 Lincoln L-56 wire on 1/8 CRS coupons. The second one is short circuit, 90/10 gas, 304 ipm, 17.5 volts, same wire and coupons

Name:  PXL_20220630_003322871.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  200.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20220630_003401739.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  193.8 KB
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

The short circuit synergic program accepts 8-25% argon, so no separate program for 90/10. They probably rounded-out the settings so if someone only has 90/10, they can both short-circuit and switch over to pulsed spray too, while only having one tank of gas. I dont know how optimal it is to run C10 in the short circuit synergic program since I never tried it.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-02-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    On that setup, I didn't use the adapters with the HTP flow meters. That way I kept all of it 9/16-18 size. The female fittings attached to the flowmeters, are the same exact ones attaching to the Y. I get them at my LWS. At the single port facing down in the picture, I used a male-to-male coupler. Also just FYI, the 111 Y that I used is meant to be used as a splitter, not a "combiner", but it works none the less, regardless of what the flow direction arrows point to.

I use the 3/16" hose barb fittings to keep the hose ID small for less stored gas, and the black braided hose I get from HTP by the foot.
    The single ear clamps I get from Toollots, pack of 100 is $10 + ship: https://www.toolots.com/crimp-steple...mm-100pcs.html

On the HTP machines they use a BSP thread at the machine inlet, so I had to re-use the [HTP] nut from the original hose, but I used a 3/16" nipple/barb (like the ones in the pic) that I had to turn down just a smidge on the lathe so it slips in to the BSP nut from HTP. I have plenty of extras of all this stuff, so if you need any of these parts or if you want one fully built for you, I can have one shipped out Monday morning. Plug-n-play ready.

Here is the chart for obtaining 92/8 using 100% Ar + C25:

Here is the PDF:

C8 using 100% Ar + C25

If you want one for C10, I can generate that no problem, but it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

Now a days, I have a triple-tank setup for MIG with 100% Argon, 100% CO₂, and 100% O₂, using a Frankenmixer™. I can dial in anything I want.

Well heck, Plug and Play sounds Real good.

That Frankenmixer is Top shelf. Probably a bit more than what I need though. But that is Neat.
    If the Argon /C25 mixer works anywhere near as well as the adjustable MIG whip/gun you built I will be very happy. I only got to test it playing around with some Aluminum but it worked well, Eventually going to order up some Aluminum sheet and build a radiator fan shroud for my little hot rod project. It should come in real handy then.
    Count me in for the 2 gas mixer Oscar, I can turn down the barb fitting if needed that is used to connect to the Pro Pulse.
    1988 HF Power MIG 150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Count me in for the 2 gas mixer Oscar, I can turn down the barb fitting if needed that is used to connect to the Pro Pulse.
    Yea all you need is just a smidge off the nipple/barb fitting since the HTP BSP-threaded nut has an ID just a teensy weensy bit too small for it; and since you already have the two flowmeter regulators, you'll be up and running in no time flat. If you notice in the first pic where I used the simply Y by itself, I had to guesstimate where the flow for 5CFH was on the C25 tank (because the first line marker is 10 CFH), and marked it with a permanent marker. I don't know if that is really where it's at, but using that as a reference and guesstimating from that point, led to working results so I counted it as a success. The other alternative is for me to build you a Frankenmixer™ using the precision flowmeters similar to how I have mine setup, but that is a lot more scratch $$, but there is no guess-work with those precision scales. I'll PM you in a bit.

17. Likes 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

455Dan's mixing Y is built, soapy water pressure tested, and tested on scrap. Ready to go!

Next is James'!

Who's next??

Post Thanks / Like

James' mixing Y is built, soapy water pressure tested, and tested on scrap. Ready to go!

Tracking #'s sent via PM.

Enjoy pulsed-spray on your awesome machines boys!

Who's next?