+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing from 220 Range Plug to Welder Plug.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing from 220 Range Plug to Welder Plug.

Hi,

I've got a 220 circuit in my garage on a 40 amp breaker. Right now it has a range plug. I'd like to switch it to a welder plug. Do I need to find a receptacle that says "40 amp," or will a 50 amp part work too? This would be an example of what I'm looking at:

Leviton 5374-S00 50 Amp, 250 Volt, Flush Mounting Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Black, 1-Pack - - Amazon.com

Alternatively, I could just get an adapter. Leaning against that, but I'm curious if that would affect output.

Also, is there any functional reason for all the different 220 plug styles?

Thanks Everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Changing from 220 Range Plug to Welder Plug.

You have to change both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZLT View Post
    Hi,

I've got a 220 circuit in my garage on a 40 amp breaker. Right now it has a range plug. I'd like to switch it to a welder plug. Do I need to find a receptacle that says "40 amp," or will a 50 amp part work too? This would be an example of what I'm looking at:

Leviton 5374-S00 50 Amp, 250 Volt, Flush Mounting Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Black, 1-Pack - - Amazon.com

Alternatively, I could just get an adapter. Leaning against that, but I'm curious if that would affect output.

Thanks Everyone.
    Ok, so to start, YES. Different plugs have different amperage ratings. Also, with 240V receptacles, you can have 3 OR 4 conductors. 3 conductors, would be red, black, white. Two 120V hot wires, and a common neutral. The 4th conductor is ground.

A "welder outlet" is generally a NEMA 6-50. Looks like a bigger version of a standard household 120V 15A receptical (NEMA 5-15).

Now, you can easily swap the outlet over from whatever it is now (you said range, so I'm assuming it's something like a 14-50 or maybe a 14-30) you just wouldn't utilize the ground (unless in a metallic outlet box, but you should already know this!).

Just pay attention to what color wire goes where. Don't cut corners. I like to use an inch pound torque wrench when I assemble my 240V outlets. They usually list a torque spec on the packaging.

Make sure you have adequate wire size for the circuit. DO NOT swap to a 50A breaker unless you have a large enough wire! If you're trying to push to much current through a wire, it will get hot... AKA fire hazard.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

4. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can wire in that 50 amp welding style plug in place of the 50 amp range plug.

I suspect it wasn't really being used for a range so it could be wired any number of ways. Is it a 3 wire or a 4 wire range plug. If it is a 4 wire then yank it out and install the other one onky using the two hots and the green ground and cap the white.

If it is a 3 wire and the ground wire is a white neutral like it would be in a actual range outlet then,

If your panel is after the first means of disconnect(after meter) then you should open the panel and move the neutral that is going to neutral bar and move it to the ground bar.

If your panel has a main breaker in it as the first means of disconnect then just phase the white neutral wire green and also at the receptacle because now it is your equipment ground and not a current carrying neutral.

If that range plug is 3 wire and it's wire besides the two hots is already a green ground and not a neutral at all then wire it apples to apples.

I think I cover the possible scenario's you could be dealing with hopefully you can suppky some more info on the range plug that is there and how it is wired and I/we can further assist so it is done correctly.

The 50 can be used with only the 40 amp feeding it as I know you were asking that also as long as it has at least #8's for hots. The worst is if you needed more than the 40 you have it would trip.

What welder will you be powering up ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Range as usual best price.
    Also most large welders do not come with cord and goto hardware store and buy one at low cost.
    If need be just install two types of outlets now whatever your welder comes with your covered.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ZLT View Post
    Hi,

Thanks Everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Also most large welders do not come with cord and goto hardware store and buy one at low cost.
    If need be just install two types of outlets now whatever your welder comes with your covered.

Dave
    A proper configuration welding outlet is not any more than a range is.

A 3 wire range the center meant to be a neutral and then the 4 wire was meant to be a 120/240 outlet and use neutral and a ground so neither is really proper way to do things.

Any 240 welder that you buy tha has a plug on it already is going to have a welding configuration plug on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, change recept, dont fool with plug on the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Nt saying most of us havnt done this but its not the right way and no point when its so easy to find the right part. Being cheaper is not a legit excuse to cobble this. There are places to save money, legal ways to do it, this isnt one.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs a pic of this. If there is already a 40 breaker thats a good thing for new modern welders.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I'll get a "NEMA 6-50" plug and installation shouldn't be a problem. I actually had this circuit added specifically for welding, but the one I have now only takes 110 and the electrician didn't seem to know what kind of plug a 220 compatible welder would take. That's not confidence inspiring, but the breaker is 40 amp and the wire should be compatible. I'd send a picture but my phone gives an error code when I try to open this page. Anyway, the existing wire has four wires: red, black, white and bare copper. The white is not connected and just capped with a wire nut. I'll do some more research but looks like the new receptacle will need to be wired similarly. Never thought to torque these. Will have to check the outlet for specs.

Post Thanks / Like

Torque is firm. Reason we now got to use a tool is we quit working on engines and guys learning feel are going fast.
    I will agree not knowing the recept isn't a confidence builder. There are some allowable differences for welder circuits, nothing wrong with 8 wire and a 40. 8 cable will support 50 in this app.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist