+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powertig 255EXT.....how to retrieve trouble codes from welder

Post Thanks / Like

Powertig 255EXT.....how to retrieve trouble codes from welder

Hello....I have an almost 5yr old 255EXT tig welder that has worked perfectly until about a month ago. I have always used the easy AC welding setup with the pedal. I set the amps to 100 and start welding. When I weld for 1 or 2minutes then stop and go to start welding again, no arc but the gas comes on and the amps are now set at 70. If I hit the right side of the welder with my hand, the amps go back to 100 and I can start welding again. It seemed to do this every 2 or 3 times I used the welder.

Tonight the torch will only shoot out a blue spark for about 5seconds with the torch 1/8" from the aluminum and if I lift the torch up off the aluminum 1/2" to 1" it looks like lightning. I can hear the gas coming out of the torch. I have check the ground clamps, changed out the 2% thoriated tungsten, new collet, cap, ground the tungsten as usual(might try changing out the disc, it's one of those Dremel tungsten dresser discs. Might be worn out and contaminating the tungsten) but I did lower the gas from 25cuft to 15cuft.

Is there a way to access any trouble codes from the machine?? Any ideas. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powertig 255EXT.....how to retrieve trouble codes from welder

Quote Originally Posted by mike2259p View Post
    Hello....I have an almost 5yr old 255EXT tig welder that has worked perfectly until about a month ago. I have always used the easy AC welding setup with the pedal. I set the amps to 100 and start welding. When I weld for 1 or 2minutes then stop and go to start welding again, no arc but the gas comes on and the amps are now set at 70. If I hit the right side of the welder with my hand, the amps go back to 100 and I can start welding again. It seemed to do this every 2 or 3 times I used the welder.

Tonight the torch will only shoot out a blue spark for about 5seconds with the torch 1/8" from the aluminum and if I lift the torch up off the aluminum 1/2" to 1" it looks like lightning. I can hear the gas coming out of the torch. I have check the ground clamps, changed out the 2% thoriated tungsten, new collet, cap, ground the tungsten as usual(might try changing out the disc, it's one of those Dremel tungsten dresser discs. Might be worn out and contaminating the tungsten) but I did lower the gas from 25cuft to 15cuft.

Is there a way to access any trouble codes from the machine?? Any ideas. Thanks!!

I made a 6sec video of the problem but don't know if it can be attached to this post.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powertig 255EXT.....how to retrieve trouble codes from welder

Trouble codes are on the front display when they occur. This would not be in the trouble code list. See your manual. They are listed.

You need to open up the machine, clean it out with dry compressed air, and reseat all the connectors (blow them out too). Access is achieved by removing rear plastic bezel/cover and the main steel cover. Do not remove the front plastic bezel.

After that an it persists, call 877 755 9353 for a full diagnosis and options for repair.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist