Thread: Stick welding in ac tig more?

Post Thanks / Like

Stick welding in ac tig more?

I've got a vulcan 200 protig. It struggles with 6010, snuffing out. Up the amps to cover the snuffing and it's very hard to control undercutting. I dont have any 6011 to try,I read that might work a bit better. My question is could I put the machine in ac tig mode and use the 6010 with ac? Set the amps. Put a brick on the pedal, and weld? Wouldn't the ac balance adj be the same as a dig adjustment? 7018. 6013 work well. 6010 is rough. Is this possible and plausible? Thanks ps when I was as kid 40 years ago, I used 7014 with a lincoln tombstone and remember doing well with it. Seems here 7014 is frowned on. I can get all the 1/8 7018
    I want at my job. 3/32 I have to get on the outside. Also, I dont have an oven.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stick welding in ac tig more?

6010 won't run in AC mode, that's why 6011 was invented. 6011 will definitely work better. I don't think you can do what you are suggesting and the AC balance will most likely not work the same as dig. Dig has to do with the amps increasing when the arc length is shortened. AC balance has to do with the percent of the time the AC wave form is in electrode negative vs electrode positive. If you are OK using 6010 or 6011, why not use some 7014? People get too worked up in my opinion about the need for 7018 for every stinking weld bead
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And even then, TIG mode works with much reduced voltages, usually in the range of 13-18V, somewhere there abouts depending on the machine. That's the exact opposite of what you need with a E6010 rod. You need something like 24-30V to run E6010. That's why you were getting bad undercut when you forced it; you increased the amps which also increased the voltage necessary to keep it lit, but by that time, it was just running way too much amps to keep a steady arc. Try it on AC, no harm in that. Doubt it will help, but then again, I've never tried it.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    6010 won't run in AC mode, that's why 6011 was invented. 6011 will definitely work better. I don't think you can do what you are suggesting and the AC balance will most likely not work the same as dig. Dig has to do with the amps increasing when the arc length is shortened. AC balance has to do with the percent of the time the AC wave form is in electrode negative vs electrode positive. If you are OK using 6010 or 6011, why not use some 7014? People get too worked up in my opinion about the need for 7018 for every stinking weld bead
    Louie...6010 can be used on AC, I did it many times in the coal breaker with an old Lincoln buzzbox...Im not gonna say it was easy but I did it. I didnt have much of a choice in the matter either Butch and Bernie the 2 fellas that owned that breaker went down to Philadelphia and bought 3 or 4 truckloads of weld rods from a power company...there were open boxes of this rod that rod and various sizes...some of them you couldn't even tell what rod they were until you ran them on somethin. One of Bernies kids sorted them out by size and classification as best he could and mark em what he thought they were and it was a crapshoot on Saturday which was always our day for maintenance in the breaker unless it was wintertime then they ran evry day they could and maintenance was done on the spot when it broke or at night.

Butch hired a kid right of welding school to weld in the breaker full time and leave me out in the strippins doin buckets and whatnot. Well this kid whined for 3 days about these rods and carried on like a baby. So they sent me up to help him get goinwith this welder and these rods. After 2 days of trying to help him out he goes down and tells Butch the rods are no good the welder is a piece of crap he needs to get better stuff to work with. Butch told the kid if you cant weld with what we got you dont belong here...either listen to what Popeye is tryin to teach you or go find another job...welding school didnt teach you much.
    2 more days I spent with this kid and finally he threw his weld hood at me and me and said you weld the sonab&^% I cant do it...I said go talk to Butch and if you ever throw anything at me again I will reach up your a%$ and rip your heart out and shove it down your throat. He picked up his weld hood and thats the last i ever saw of him.

Getting back to the 6010...it takes some doin but it can be done... it just takes some practice and some patience...once you figure it out its like ridin a bicycle.

As far as doin it in TIG I couldn't say...what I know about Tig you could put in your hip pocket and have room for a million bucks in pennies...but hey whats the harm in tryin somethin? As long as the machine dont get messed up and its on scrap I would try it...stranger things have been invented just tryin somethin out

I guess I shoukd add to this I woukldnt recomend tryin to do any code work with 6010 on AC..just thought I would mention that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    <br><br>Louie...6010 can be used on AC, I did it many times in the coal breaker with an old Lincoln buzzbox...Im not gonna say it was easy but I did it. I didnt have much of a choice in the matter either Butch and Bernie the 2 fellas that owned that breaker went down to Philadelphia and bought 3 or 4 truckloads of weld rods from a power company...there were open boxes of this rod that rod and various sizes...some of them you couldn't even tell what rod they were until you ran them on somethin. One of Bernies kids sorted them out by size and classification as best he could and mark em what he thought they were and it was a crapshoot on Saturday which was always our day for maintenance in the breaker unless it was wintertime then they ran evry day they could and maintenance was done on the spot when it broke or at night.&nbsp; <br><br><br>Butch hired a kid right of welding school to weld in the breaker full time and leave me out in the strippins doin buckets and whatnot. Well this kid whined for 3 days about these rods and carried on like a baby. So they sent me up to help him get goinwith this welder and these rods. After 2 days of trying to help him out he goes down and tells Butch the rods are no good the welder is a piece of crap he needs to get better stuff to work with. Butch told the kid if you cant weld with what we got you dont belong here...either listen to what Popeye is tryin to teach you or go find another job...welding school didnt teach you much.<br>2 more days I spent with this kid and finally he threw his weld hood at me and me and said you weld the sonab&amp;^% I cant do it...I said go talk to Butch and if you ever throw anything at me again I will reach up your a%$ and rip your heart out and shove it down your throat. He picked up his weld hood and thats the last i ever saw of him.<br><br>Getting back to the 6010...it takes some doin but it can be done... it just takes some practice and some patience...once you figure it out its like ridin a bicycle.<br><br>As far as doin it in TIG I couldn't say...what I know about Tig you could put in your hip pocket and have room for a million bucks in pennies...but hey whats the harm in tryin somethin? As long as the machine dont get messed up and its on scrap I would try it...stranger things have been invented just tryin somethin out<br><br><br>

Post Thanks / Like

not all rod brands the same even
    6011 or 6013 some brands put extra stuff in flux to be able to pull a longer arc (6010 same some brands got more arc stabilizers in flux)
    obviously on low ocv open circuit voltage machine pulling a stable 1/2" long arc is not good even with tig thats bad if 3/16" long arc is stable you want arc to go out
    or metal more likely burned or oxidized. some rod brands you can pull a long arc where other brands arc sputters and goes out easy
    dab dab welding with 3/32 6013 rod welding 16ga at 75 amps many weld 1/2 second break arc wait, weld 1/2 sec break arc wait, etc... Youtube got many videos welding
    .060 or .040 thick tubing stick welding.... goes by different names pulse welding, dab dab etc........ anyway be annoying if arc stable 1/2" or more long arc, you
    would want arc to go out 1.5 to 2 rod dia (1/8 to 1/4" arc goes out)..... you buy rod better made for your machine