+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argon cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Argon cylinder

Looking to purchase or get a good deal on an 80cu argon cylinder around the Indianapolis Indiana area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Argon cylinder

As for size, 125 or 150 is a better deal, more for your money. Go to local welding supplier and buy from them. You'll avoid getting frustrated when you need to get it exchanged or refilled. I bought all my tanks from my local supplier. If you buy elsewhere, check with supplier first to see if they will refill what you plan on purchasing.

If you buy an owner tank, that's one with a plain neck without a name on it, check to see if they will refill it. Some will but if you want that same tank back, you leave it and they will get it filled.
    Buying from supplier you can just exchange and get another. Some supplier do have no name on tank so you can exchange for another. It's just not the same tank you bought.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 👍

Today I have 120 cf size and easy to load for refilling and shop use. I also have 80cf oxygen tanks too but so can load quickly on to pickup.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    As for size, 125 or 150 is a better deal, more for your money. Go to local welding supplier and buy from them. You'll avoid getting frustrated when you need to get it exchanged or refilled. I bought all my tanks from my local supplier. If you buy elsewhere, check with supplier first to see if they will refill what you plan on purchasing.

If you buy an owner tank, that's one with a plain neck without a name on it, check to see if they will refill it. Some will but if you want that same tank back, you leave it and they will get it filled.
    Buying from supplier you can just exchange and get another. Some supplier do have no name on tank so you can exchange for another. It's just not the same tank you bought.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a 40 that I bought from TSC that I am able to get exchanged at Air Gas, but my last welding job was out of state and I ran out after hours and no one around was open. Going to a 125 or 150!would be cheaper in the long run but I wouldn’t be able to keep that large of tank in my van.

Post Thanks / Like

Most portable welders like the 125 size.

But you doing torch work the 250 is cheap as it lass about 8 hours of torch work but pain to move.

For me a 40 just get start and it is gone ok for hobby work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bambam634 View Post
    I currently have a 40 that I bought from TSC that I am able to get exchanged at Air Gas, but my last welding job was out of state and I ran out after hours and no one around was open. Going to a 125 or 150!would be cheaper in the long run but I wouldn’t be able to keep that large of tank in my van.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to be able to keep a 125 or larger on my van but I work for a corporate restaurant chain in maintenance and only weld ever so often I just don’t have the room. We do plumbing, electrical, hvac, refrigeration and what ever else they decide we need to fix lol. My van is packed.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Most portable welders like the 125 size.

But you doing torch work the 250 is cheap as it lass about 8 hours of torch work but pain to move.

For me a 40 just get start and it is gone ok for hobby work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bambam634 View Post
    Looking to purchase or get a good deal on an 80cu argon cylinder around the Indianapolis Indiana area.
    80 cu ft are all customer owned so no problem where you buy it. Check Craigslist you might get lucky. Over $300 now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=80+argon+...s_ts-doa-p_1_8

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with all 80 cubic foot tanks for argon and C25. I then moved on to a 20 lb CO2 cylinder which holds about 177 cubic feet of gas. When I moved to the Multimatic 255, I wanted 90/10 gas for pulse MIG welding and there were literally no suppliers in my state that would do C10 in 80 cubic foot tanks. My only option was a 330 cubic foot tank (T cylinder I believe?) which had to be leased. The lease is $75 a year. The cost of the gas (on exchange) is $120. I was paying ~$60 for 80 cubic feet of C25. So my cost per cubic foot has gone from $0.75 per cubic foot to $0.36 per cubic foot. On top of that savings, they deliver the tank to me. I don't have to drive to pick it up, and I don't have to schlep a tank from the bed of my truck into the store and back. For me, the $75 per year is worth it.
    Miller Multimatic 255

9. Likes FloridaAl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a spreadsheet somewhere on this site that possibly has info on Indianapolis suppliers.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bead-boy View Post
    There is a spreadsheet somewhere on this site that possibly has info on Indianapolis suppliers.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/6...ght=definitive

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the last test date.
    If out the test day the tank my have fail now you have yard art 🎨.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    80 cu ft are all customer owned so no problem where you buy it. Check Craigslist you might get lucky. Over $300 now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=80+argon+...s_ts-doa-p_1_8

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong! If you want to rent a 20 CF you can(or any size there on up)......it's not smart, but you can.
    Assuming a certain size is customer owned is just that, an assumption. Can you imagine any gas supplier turning down rental income?
    Indiana Oxygen is based in Indy. They will likely sell you a 150 CF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I started out with all 80 cubic foot tanks for argon and C25. I then moved on to a 20 lb CO2 cylinder which holds about 177 cubic feet of gas. When I moved to the Multimatic 255, I wanted 90/10 gas for pulse MIG welding and there were literally no suppliers in my state that would do C10 in 80 cubic foot tanks. My only option was a 330 cubic foot tank (T cylinder I believe?) which had to be leased. The lease is $75 a year. The cost of the gas (on exchange) is $120. I was paying ~$60 for 80 cubic feet of C25. So my cost per cubic foot has gone from $0.75 per cubic foot to $0.36 per cubic foot. On top of that savings, they deliver the tank to me. I don't have to drive to pick it up, and I don't have to schlep a tank from the bed of my truck into the store and back. For me, the $75 per year is worth it.
    Moving a T cylinder at all is not something you want to do very often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Moving a T cylinder at all is not something you want to do very often.
    True but if you TIG weld seldom moving it is much less painful.

Post Thanks / Like

I never move my T cylinder. They come and pick it up when it's empty and they bring me a full one at the same time. I tip the driver and he even does the swap out right to/from the welder for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, we have inherited my father-in-law estate. You seem to know a lot about compressed gas cylinders. While my husband is away, I'd like to get started on that shop. I don't know what tanks go to what, just that they are for welding. I don't even know that we need alk the welders or the glasses but I do now know I'm not supposed to have like 6 different types of gas in one small corner of the shop and the local supplier won't even come out with the acatelene and propane near each other. It scares me because these tanks are the human size ones and hard for me to move but I have no help and can't let people in our shop because we've already been broken into 2ce loosing about $200,000 but I really want to get him set up to change the motor in his favorite truck. Advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Wrong! If you want to rent a 20 CF you can(or any size there on up)......it's not smart, but you can.
    Assuming a certain size is customer owned is just that, an assumption. Can you imagine any gas supplier turning down rental income?
    Indiana Oxygen is based in Indy. They will likely sell you a 150 CF.
    I can not only imagine that they won't but in fact I know of not a single one that will. Here is a list of a few that won't rent 80 cu ft or less for sure so I do not have to imagine it. It is for real, eh ? Not Airgas, Not Praxair and not Matheson that is for sure. Not even the local independent rents 80 cu ft and less.

Yea if you found a place to rent you one and if you take that 20, 40, 60 or 80 cu ft tank they rented you anywhere else it will be exchanged as a customer owned no questions asked.

So as I said before 80 cu ft and less are all CUSTOMER OWNED. EVEN IF IT WAS RENTED. Same chit. They are so sure it wasn't a rental that they do not care because almost no one rents the 80 and smaller for the most part so it is same either way wherever it came from.

My point was ALMOST anywhere will exchange a 80 cu ft tank(or less) no matter what the neck ring says. It doesn't have to be blank ring or customer owned ring to get a no questions asked exchange.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-06-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daleandhollie View Post
    I do now know I'm not supposed to have like 6 different types of gas in one small corner of the shop and the local supplier won't even come out with the acatelene and propane near each other.
    I have no idea who's out this in your head,,, but it's Not true!

Relax, you're under no danger, the cylinders are "self contained" and safe (at the gas suppliers there are 100's, possibly, 1000's of tanks, all in close proximity to one another). Take pictures of these tanks (both their labels and their comparative size to each other) and we can be of more help.

But again,,,, you don't have the problem that you think you do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I have no idea who's out this in your head,,, but it's Not true!

Relax, you're under no danger, the cylinders are "self contained" and safe (at the gas suppliers there are 100's, possibly, 1000's of tanks, all in close proximity to one another). Take pictures of these tanks (both their labels and their comparative size to each other) and we can be of more help.

But again,,,, you don't have the problem that you think you do
    At the supply house I have never seen acetylene stored indoors like the rest of the inert gases so there is some validity to his ideas about gas safety. Acetylene and propane are better stored outdoors clearly but surely doesn't mean they can't be stored safely indoors. The rest of the gases a slight leak wouldn't even be noticed or cause a issue. There is a reason they make propane and natural fuel gas stink so bad.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-14-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Acetylene storage depends on the company. The place I worked at 20 yrs ago built block rooms vented to the outside so they could store flammables inside. They chose to only store acetylene inside.

Post Thanks / Like

80 cu ft are all customer owned so no problem where you buy it.
    That may be true where you live, but not everywhere. There are no general rules that apply everywhere for how ownership and lease rules work...it varies wildly by location.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    That may be true where you live, but not everywhere. There are no general rules that apply everywhere for how ownership and lease rules work...it varies wildly by location.
    Oh I am sure. They are free to make any rule they want.

Like where they won't take blank or customer owned tanks for exchange in 125 and larger.

That is because they can't as they do not have any blank or customer owned tanks to give you back and they don't wanna hear you bitching about taking a lease tank with their name on it.

They will usually still do it but now your stuck buying your gas from only them and have to hold your receipt for life to prove YOU OWN THEIR BOTTLE.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist