Thread: New brakes on the ram

Post Thanks / Like

New brakes on the ram

I just installed new ceramic pads & drilled & slotted rotors on my 2017 RAM 1500. My shopping had me comparing different brands etc hoping to find some that were US made. One of the complaints I found was that people were leery of the Chinese pads & rotors, even POWERSTOP are Chinese. I opted for a four wheel set from DETROIT AXLE, made in China. It's a shame, but the DETROIT AXLE set was half the price of POWERSTOP and some others. They're all Chinese from what I found, EBC was the only brand I didn't check.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New brakes on the ram

I always get the cheapest soft pads I can get my hands on. My thinking is.......easier/cheaper to replace pads, than a rotor that gets worn out by the hard pads. Dunno if it's the best way of thinking, but I've always done it that way.

Try to find anything that's not made in China!

Except for Chinese food

Honest to God.............. We have a Chinese restaurant in town that's run by an Asian American family, but ALL of the guys in the kitchen are Hispanic I mean from the cook, down to the dishwasher. But, if you sit back and think about it........a recipe is a recipe, doesn't matter who's holding the spatula

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually going to suggest looking at EBC before I read that last bit of your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I always get the cheapest soft pads I can get my hands on. My thinking is.......easier/cheaper to replace pads, than a rotor that gets worn out by the hard pads. Dunno if it's the best way of thinking, but I've always done it that way.

Try to find anything that's not made in China!

Except for Chinese food

Honest to God.............. We have a Chinese restaurant in town that's run by an Asian American family, but ALL of the guys in the kitchen are Hispanic I mean from the cook, down to the dishwasher. But, if you sit back and think about it........a recipe is a recipe, doesn't matter who's holding the spatula
    I understand your logic 100%. BUT consider this... With grinding wheels (think surface grinder or bench/pedestal grinder), a SOFTER (more friable) grinding wheel usually cuts more aggressively. The reason being that as the grinding wheels wears down, it's exposing new, sharp abrasive. With a hard wheel, you're going to be wearing out the abrasive more readily as the wheel wears slower. I imagine the same is true of brake pads. I know they aren't apples to apples, but abrasive and friction material kinda goes hand in hand.

Edit: Just something for you to think about. Not saying you're wrong or right - cause I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I was actually going to suggest looking at EBC before I read that last bit of your post.
    I went back and looked at EBC, they're made in Britain, and competitive with POWERSTOP, I was interested in braking performance and the new slotted rotors & ceramic pads are great, much improved over stock. And for Sammm, sometimes going cheap is the most expensive route, by far. In the 70's I was driving a 66 Chevy pickup & I knew it was getting close to needing brakes, and they came on sale from a local national retailer for CHEAP, I bought the shoes & installed them, they lasted about 2 weeks before the lining disintegrated, that failure cost me 4 new drums, before I hear the questions about correct installation, yes they were, the primary & secondary shoes oriented correctly, no dragging or grabbing, they knew me at the store and replaced the shoes & I paid to upgrade to a better material, I think the adhesive had failed and started the issue IIRC. The other thing about pads & rotors these days, if replacing with stock rotors it's often just as cost effective to replace them than to turn them & you don't have to be concerned about them being too thin.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 07-11-2022 at 03:14 PM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The other thing about pads & rotors these days, if replacing with stock rotors it's often just as cost effective to replace them than to turn them & you don't have to be concerned about them being too thin.
    Thats IF you can find them. A while back the guy at NAPA said... you got the last set of front rotors for Ford Explorer.... I can't get any more at this point. supply chain BS ... yada yada...

pads, napa has 3 grades I usually go with the middle of the road set.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Thats IF you can find them. A while back the guy at NAPA said... you got the last set of front rotors for Ford Explorer.... I can't get any more at this point. supply chain BS ... yada yada...

pads, napa has 3 grades I usually go with the middle of the road set.
    Our daughter works for the local bus company, a subsidiary of Valley Metro & she told me they can't get parts, can't get DEF, ETC. She had their mechanic order brakes for her MAZDA 6 over a month ago & they just barely came in, mine took about 3 days from AMAZON.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess, to be accurate...............by cheap, I mean the organic pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Cavemann, Have you shopped at Merle's Automotive? I try to go there for everything, they are a real jobber warehouse and the guys are all experienced parts dealers. I am able to get quality parts from them, when I did my Ford brakes they had Motorcraft parts made in Mexico and USA. The rotors were US made Motorcraft, everyone else had Chinese made ones. It's a real pleasure to go there and have real parts people get you what you need. They've been around since 1969. Looks like you don't have one in Ajo but there is one at the West end of Tucson on Ajo Way.
    Last edited by bigb; 07-12-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

10. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I shop parts a lot. Today 90% of them are all the same stuff in different boxes. Here is the thing about good parts stores, if they come back they sop selling them and only a few people in the world could tell the difference in any of this. 95% of the brake problems on the internet are ones I dont have and usually start with a list of premium parts they just installed,,, after all dont want to do it again and the fact they are writing about a problem doesnt seem to register.
    My neighbor a master and then some says the same, I put on what they hand me at the store and it works. I am not sure what or why with the supply chain,,, maybe I dont have a problem because I get standard stuff instead of stuff from Britan? Are you a formula 1 driver and if a guy really needs that crap on a stock truck he isnt driving it right.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-12-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Cavemann, Have you shopped at Merle's Automotive? I try to go there for everything, they are a real jobber warehouse and the guys are all experienced parts dealers. I am able to get quality parts from them, when I did my Ford brakes they had Motorcraft parts made in Mexico and USA. The rotors were US made Motorcraft, everyone else had Chinese made ones. It's a real pleasure to go there and have real parts people get you what you need. They've been around since 1969. Looks like you don't have one in Ajo but there is one at the West end of Tucson on Ajo Way.
    I haven't, if I buy from a parts retailer I go to my local NAPA, I've had a long relationship with the owners and they give me the lowest price possible, it's tiered to a shop that stocks parts and is the first level above jobber, I set up accounts long ago while still working for the Ambulance and later my tow yard.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure Caveman is an expert so my response in this thread was meant to be very general, such as many/most/ lot etc. We also now have a couple Cavemans and I really fly thru some of these threads.
    Seems to me that the real failures, ones that stop a car are brake pad busted, old age and salt and stuck caliper pins. Most of it lasts well first 6 years from factory then is pretty much continuous maint but guy should service them 2x a year, check for wear and pins and after a while if there is rust simply replace a pad.
    As for performance and to each his own but I dont notice any of it unless they are not working., Any demands would be so sudden and short in duration the rest is moot.
    I got a lot of stuff. I dont neglect brakes and one of the reasons for the nature of the shop is service, I hate that stuff and need to make it easy as it can be but I cant throw a grand at every job every time there is a squeak and cant wait to shut it all down et5c so my method is to service it as fast as we find a problem and PM what we can while there and practical. I keep a box of parts for each current thing, any left overs, clips etc even some 1/2 worn pads or partial sets. I had a pad busticate last week, was out of town and drove home, stopped at the store on the way for pads and a rotor and now have 1/2 a set of pads. I could have repaired it from existing stock but in this case needed a long service life ahead of it. Coming up at a service will get another rotor for other side when its practical.
    But as a driver will never really heat a set of brakes up, not in that kind of traffic and can coast up to most corners and use firm brake some when I have to, sort of a long pulse rather than slip on them along the way. Same for clutches, I can go a long way on a clutch even under real work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I am sure Caveman is an expert so my response in this thread was meant to be very general, such as many/most/ lot etc. We also now have a couple Cavemans and I really fly thru some of these threads.
    Seems to me that the real failures, ones that stop a car are brake pad busted, old age and salt and stuck caliper pins. Most of it lasts well first 6 years from factory then is pretty much continuous maint but guy should service them 2x a year, check for wear and pins and after a while if there is rust simply replace a pad.
    As for performance and to each his own but I dont notice any of it unless they are not working., Any demands would be so sudden and short in duration the rest is moot.
    I got a lot of stuff. I dont neglect brakes and one of the reasons for the nature of the shop is service, I hate that stuff and need to make it easy as it can be but I cant throw a grand at every job every time there is a squeak and cant wait to shut it all down et5c so my method is to service it as fast as we find a problem and PM what we can while there and practical. I keep a box of parts for each current thing, any left overs, clips etc even some 1/2 worn pads or partial sets. I had a pad busticate last week, was out of town and drove home, stopped at the store on the way for pads and a rotor and now have 1/2 a set of pads. I could have repaired it from existing stock but in this case needed a long service life ahead of it. Coming up at a service will get another rotor for other side when its practical.
    But as a driver will never really heat a set of brakes up, not in that kind of traffic and can coast up to most corners and use firm brake some when I have to, sort of a long pulse rather than slip on them along the way. Same for clutches, I can go a long way on a clutch even under real work.
    Qell, I'd like to address the word"expert", IMO an "ex" is a has been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. I shopped for the pads & rotors that I wanted, I wanted the drilled & slotted rotors for improved heat dissipation, the ceramic pads for their dustless and quiet performance. The brakes are noticeably better in my observation so far.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Post Thanks / Like

That is great. I might have a hard time telling much difference. Youy are a kind of guy knows what he wants and why, I am often responding to someone figures the MIL needs the stuff on the 2006 Merc in Indiana. The guy that has problems or unsure needs pretty much the stuff they hand him over the counter. Your truck probably came ceramic?

Post Thanks / Like

Fronts give crunching stopping power and get blamed for a lot of faults with the rear though. Especially "feel" problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    That is great. I might have a hard time telling much difference. Youy are a kind of guy knows what he wants and why, I am often responding to someone figures the MIL needs the stuff on the 2006 Merc in Indiana. The guy that has problems or unsure needs pretty much the stuff they hand him over the counter. Your truck probably came ceramic?
    IDK, my guess was semi metallic, or possibly carbon fiber reinforced, but I doubt it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Post Thanks / Like

Do a few brake jobs for me family and close friends, and my Ram 3500 is due for new pads and probably rotors at 147000 miles. Hard to believe it is all original still.

I start checking what's available with Rock Auto since they list a fair amount of info and who produced the parts.
    Between NAPA, Car Quest, Oreilys and autozone can generally find it local. Funny thing about worn brakes.

Ran into a weird deal with the old grand Cherokee.
    I replaced the Granddaughters after it only lasted 25000 miles on her GC, but thought something was not right with the pads wearing so quick especially after noticing one pad on each side was worn way worse.

I had already changed out the calipers so knew that was not the cause. After looking closely figured out that at 275000 miles had actually worn the caliper main brackets on the area where the pads should have a flat surface to slide. That worn area was allowing the pad to get stuck after brake application and wearing the pad excessively.

I broke the rules... and used the HTP MIG and 70 S6 wire and filled in the lows after grinding out the rust. Then reground and filed the slide area.
    Have checked the rig twice since then at each oil and filter change. Everything looks great. pads are now wearing evenly no more pulling one direction or the other. the correct procedure would have been to buy new caliper brackets and would have required rear axle disassembly including pulling rear axles. Front axle would have been no picnic either. I did do a little drill test to the brackets and thinking the brackets are closer to cast steel since it did not drill as a powder- small shards and spirals.

Have had mixed results with ceramics most worked great have had a set that wanted to squeek and that is one thing they shouldn't do. I like semi metallic pads and shoes when they are available but most of the Ceramics have worked and lasted really well.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

I had an 01 Sierra 1500 that I traded off at about 177,000 & it had the original brakes. I would have thought that the calipers would have the spring shims to prevent the pads from wearing on the caliper.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

LET'S GO BRANDON!