+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln weldanpower 150

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln weldanpower 150

Hey everybody long time since I've been on life's like that but I purchased a weldanpower 150 today for $150. Got the old Kohler motor. Original owner said it welded 2 years ago but when they fired it up this year it would weld or put out through the 110 outlets. I'm thinking either wiring problem from mice or the slip rings and brushes. Also another thing is I've looked all over online. The fuel in it smells like a 4 stroke mix. Are these machines supposed to be 4 stroke? If not Where's the oil filter, dipstick, and drain? I appreciate all help thank you guys also apolize if this is in the wrong section
    Last edited by bbertb; 05-15-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln weldanpower 150

I asume you mean it wouldn't weld or make 110v. I've never heard of 4 stroke mix. Do you mean 2 stroke mix?? I don't know if Kohler ever made a 2 stroke engine. It probably doesn't have an oil filter and maybe not a dipstick. Instead it probably has a plastic or metal plug at a 45* angle down low on the block and the oil level should be to the lip of that hole. A drain plug is probably down low on the side of the block at the bottom. Just bear in mind this is free advice and worth every penny, LOL!!
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

That makes complete sense cause there's a bolt at the bottom of the pan whys there no dipstick?

Post Thanks / Like

Re read my post regarding the dipstick.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I asume you mean it wouldn't weld or make 110v. I've never heard of 4 stroke mix. Do you mean 2 stroke mix?? I don't know if Kohler ever made a 2 stroke engine. It probably doesn't have an oil filter and maybe not a dipstick. Instead it probably has a plastic or metal plug at a 45* angle down low on the block and the oil level should be to the lip of that hole. A drain plug is probably down low on the side of the block at the bottom. Just bear in mind this is free advice and worth every penny, LOL!!
    Those things had a 10 HP Kohler 4 stroke engine, the oil "full" level was normally at the bottom of the fill plug threads. No oil filter on them.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the dipsticck found out there is no dipstick.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Those things had a 10 HP Kohler 4 stroke engine, the oil "full" level was normally at the bottom of the fill plug threads. No oil filter on them.
    So there's 2 square plugs at the bottom. One up and down and one on its side would that be the oil plug and fill plug? Just fill it till it comes out of the side like a differential on a car? And confirming its filterless helps alot. Theres a tag on the side saying the oil was changed in 2017 so I defeiently want to change it and maybe the gas in it is just bad it's been in there so long. I'm gonna change the oil, drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas, change the plug(and probably the wire if I can find one), spray some carb cleaner and see if that'll make it run. If it does I'll move onto the generator after that

I guess the dipsticck found out there is no dipstick.
    Yes I did this is all new to me sorry if im sounding super stupid

Post Thanks / Like

I start and run on old gas,,, get it running and at 1/2 speed or so run it till its out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbertb View Post
    So there's 2 square plugs at the bottom. One up and down and one on its side would that be the oil plug and fill plug? Just fill it till it comes out of the side like a differential on a car? And confirming its filterless helps alot. Theres a tag on the side saying the oil was changed in 2017 so I defeiently want to change it and maybe the gas in it is just bad it's been in there so long. I'm gonna change the oil, drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas, change the plug(and probably the wire if I can find one), spray some carb cleaner and see if that'll make it run. If it does I'll move onto the generator after that

Yes I did this is all new to me sorry if im sounding super stupid
    Sorry for the jab. I figgered maybe you were of those get the needed info and then run away with no thanks, KMA or nothing. Maybe a pic of these 2 plugs would help us help you.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a previous thread with a Weldanpower 150 with a Kohler K241 engine:
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/6...-150-Code-8678
    Post #23 shows the carburetor engine side. The lower 3/4 NPT square headed plug is for oil drain and the one above it is for the dipstick. Unscrew it and you will find a 3/16" rod with hash-marks showing the H and L for the oil level.
    Here's an owner's manual for Kohler K-series engines:
    http://www.kohlerengines.com/engines...1346_c_all.pdf
    Edit:
    Here's a good website for info on Kohler engines:
    http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm
    Last edited by Denis G; 05-17-2022 at 09:29 AM.

12. Likes mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the jab. I figgered maybe you were of those get the needed info and then run away with no thanks, KMA or nothing. Maybe a pic of these 2 plugs would help us help you.
    How do I post pictures on here? I appreciate a good jab here and there my minds just friend from the 2 new idiots at work who don't retain any information no matter how times you tell them thats why I probably missed at first
    Last edited by bbertb; 05-17-2022 at 07:32 PM.

14. Likes mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbertb View Post
    How do I post pictures on here? I appreciate a good jab here and there my minds just friend from the 2 new idiots at work who don't retain any information no matter how times you tell them thats why I probably missed at first
    If you already know how to get file pictures from a camera (or phone) to your computer, then maybe this will help:
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/faq.php?f...b3_attachments
    It may take some trial and error, but if you're not afraid of making mistakes it eventually becomes something natural.

16. Likes mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did find the top square headed bolt is the dipstick and the side one is the drain. Oils thin and smells like gas so when im off im gonna let that drain out real good. Drained the fuel out tonight it don't look to pretty. I'm gonna get some 1/4" fuel line and a new inline filter for it next Thursday when I get paid and a new spark plug. Probably gonna take the carb off tomorrow after work and take it to my buddy at work and see if he can clean it out for me. After that it'll hopefully run then i can move onto what's wrong with the generator, if there is anything hopefully there isn't. I wanted to replace the plug wire but it looks like it goes deeper then im willing to get into it and the wire isn't cracked or anything so I'm gonna leave it be for now

Post Thanks / Like

Re: the plug wire, if it aint broke don't fix it.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

19. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the plug wire, if it aint broke don't fix it.
    I am going with that mentality. I havent checked it for spark but considering it fired up and ran for awhile when I first got it home I dont think that's needed

Post Thanks / Like

Firing up and running a while is clogged carb. I mention this a couple posts up.. If the gas isnt syrup and will go thru the machine run it out on the old fuel, then some new and run that out so as to clean the carb slowly vs dumping new fuel in and it cuts the gunk so fast it clogs up. A new plug is a good idea, bought one the other day was 2$ which was a shock,,, but it was a Briggs single and oem in 85,,, ha, but 2 things happen,,, they often pitter patter down low and not so much with modern stuff but old carbys something seems to happen to used plugs that sit long time. I am not sure exact what it is but they corrode some kind of film so to speak on them and need replace or blasted to get them to work right again.
    When you have only 1 cyl it doesn't have any others to help cart it around. Its not a magic solution if something else is wrong but may contribute and even seen them outright dead which is amazing considering how simple most plugs are.
    Last edited by Sberry; 05-19-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a first last yr with a new engine I put on my chipper. The single cyl B&S would start and run fine, shut it down and let sit for maybe 10 min and no start. Let it cool down and it would start and run fine. Finally figured out the plug would work fine with cooling air blowing across it but when shut down it absorbed heat from the head and short out until it cooled down again. New plug fixed it. BTW the original was a B&S brand plug.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update I got all the tune up parts, ran new fuel line, new fuel filter, plug, cleaned the card, and changed the oil. Unfortunately it's 930am here and the neighbors would call the cops if I tried to start it right now but I'm 99% sure when I dump new fuel in it she'll go. Also luckily found the bleeder for the fuel pump so I don't have to pull my arm out trying to prime it

Post Thanks / Like

So I got it running but it doesn't out our power ant known problems I should loom for?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Weldanpower 150 that I rebuilt the Kohler motor on 25 years ago. A couple of years ago it stopped welding and generating. Replaced exciter coil, checked brushes, found armature winding was bad. Checked with lincoln, no go, too old. Called a bunch of lincoln salvage yards , nobody had one (mostly SA200 or bigger stuff). One guy was helpful, and said most of the older lincoln single cylinder welders seem to shake themselves up until they break. Motor was fine a few years ago, but its on its way to the scrap yard this summer. You may want to check yours if you haven't already. It may not be worth fixing if you have a bad armature. It wasn't for me.

Best of luck, Hope this Helps.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I have a Weldanpower 150 that I rebuilt the Kohler motor on 25 years ago. A couple of years ago it stopped welding and generating. Replaced exciter coil, checked brushes, found armature winding was bad. Checked with lincoln, no go, too old. Called a bunch of lincoln salvage yards , nobody had one (mostly SA200 or bigger stuff). One guy was helpful, and said most of the older lincoln single cylinder welders seem to shake themselves up until they break. Motor was fine a few years ago, but its on its way to the scrap yard this summer. You may want to check yours if you haven't already. It may not be worth fixing if you have a bad armature. It wasn't for me.

Best of luck, Hope this Helps.
    Sorry im just now getting back to this been busy with work and some other things. If the rain holds off here tomorrow im gonna pull the cover off and start checking stuff out. I'm hoping it's something stupid cause it doesn't look like it was used very much

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist