Thread: Using tig welder as a spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Using tig welder as a spot welder

I am going to build or buy a auto body slide hammer spot welder. I am going to use Miller 200 tig welder. Now I am wondering what the best way to make a connector with the torch wire. I am thinking of buying a older torch wire and puting a eyelet connector. One option might be to use a bolt where the tungsten tip goes in. My concern is that the bolt hole is not strong enough and damage the cup.? The other option would be use a Miller wire power adapter. The other question is what wire guage should I use...?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using tig welder as a spot welder

A TIG welder is designed to operate around 12-14 volts with an arc. it may not like a dead short, as found in resistance spot welding. In fact, a lot of modern inverters have a dead short detection circuit and will shut down...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

3. Likes Louie1961, shovelon, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mig or fluxcore it a lot faster.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rshimizu12 View Post
    I am going to build or buy a auto body slide hammer spot welder. I am going to use Miller 200 tig welder. Now I am wondering what the best way to make a connector with the torch wire. I am thinking of buying a older torch wire and puting a eyelet connector. One option might be to use a bolt where the tungsten tip goes in. My concern is that the bolt hole is not strong enough and damage the cup.? The other option would be use a Miller wire power adapter. The other question is what wire guage should I use...?

5. Likes Louie1961, NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A cursory search show many people using TIG welder for spot welding. But the biggest concern is how to connect it...?

Post Thanks / Like

Stud guns are not that expensive. I have this brand and it works fine: Amazon.com: H & S Autoshot 4550 Starter Plus Stud Welder Kit , yellow : Tools & Home Improvement
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Misread post deleted original

I have a Harbor freight stud gun 2nd one the first one died when the primary winding went open circuit.
    The second one has years of use and for the price is hard to imagine you could make everything needed to pull dents cheaper
    Last edited by 455dan; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:02 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

A cursory search show many people using TIG welder for spot welding. But the biggest concern is how to connect it...?
    TIG spot welding is different from resistance spot welding. Like Munkul said, with TIG, you need an arc gap. TIG won't work with a dead short like it will with resistance spot welding. The TIG spot welding function just allows you to set a timer for a repeatable short burst arc with the necessary arc gap. With resistance spot welding the electrodes directly touch the workpiece and create a spot nugget between the electrodes. When passing current through a stud, there's no arc gap. It's resistance between the stud and workpiece that makes the weld with much higher current than a TIG welder is capable of providing.

If you want to experiment, you can always replace the tungsten electrode with a copper rod of the same size and try spot welding. If nothing else, you will have satisfied your curiosity.
    Last edited by Denis G; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:28 AM.

10. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use mig on occasion. But agree wouldnt take long to pay for the right tool especially since a guy can find economy and they are in pawns as body guys are notorious for that crap.

Post Thanks / Like

At one time they had a timer for mig gun for tack welding.
    They still make the cone for the mig gun.

I would not use stick in it a pain I tried.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I use mig on occasion. But agree wouldnt take long to pay for the right tool especially since a guy can find economy and they are in pawns as body guys are notorious for that crap.

Post Thanks / Like

It took some practice, but I was able to nail down fusion tacks on 20 gauge steel reliably - TipsandTricks shows this technique and it works. I set the machine for about 20amps above the normal setting; for the 20 gauge around 50 amps. Tap the tungsten to the butt joint back off very slightly (1/16th inch) and stomped the pedal for a 1-second beat. You get a nice small tack. If you want a litte more safety lay some .032 wire in the butt and aim the tungsten at the wire and hold slightly longer and you'll get a slightly larger tack with good penetration. I purchased a finger trigger for my torch and that makes like even easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by traderyoda View Post
    It took some practice, but I was able to nail down fusion tacks on 20 gauge steel reliably - TipsandTricks shows this technique and it works. I set the machine for about 20amps above the normal setting; for the 20 gauge around 50 amps. Tap the tungsten to the butt joint back off very slightly (1/16th inch) and stomped the pedal for a 1-second beat. You get a nice small tack. If you want a litte more safety lay some .032 wire in the butt and aim the tungsten at the wire and hold slightly longer and you'll get a slightly larger tack with good penetration. I purchased a finger trigger for my torch and that makes like even easier.
    So short burst TIG welding of thin sheet?

Glad it worked.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

i did body work 35 years at new car dealers. mainly gm. 120v mig is more forgiving on dirty, rusty panels when trying to straiten hard creases etc.. also faster. can mig washers to panel to use hooks for pulling. pull pins from stud gun can be welded to flat bar for to pull more than one pin. 120v welder works soooo good on light sheet metal. flux core DONT USE. TOO HOT.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel