Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: End of the Season

Name:  roller34.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  196.3 KB The tube is compromised I guess. No way to straighten it without making it even weaker. I imagine the previous owner did the best he could to get it back in the field after smacking something. In the light of day, the entire cross assembly is tweaked.

At this point, a cut 'n splice is in order I guess. The tube is 3" DOM. No way I'm gonna lay out a yard for a piece of that stuff.

I'll be splicing it with square tubing, with a diaphragm at either end so it'll mate up to the existing tube. Not pretty, but just as functional......probably stronger. And, it'll make establishing the correct angles a lot easier. You're dealing with 4 angles at this junction, and they're all messed up.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran into that with a cultivator frame. It wasn't just bent, but twisted as well. 40 ton wouldn't bring it back so I ended up swapping out the center section for a used one I bought....
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Ran into that with a cultivator frame. It wasn't just bent, but twisted as well. 40 ton wouldn't bring it back so I ended up swapping out the center section for a used one I bought....
    It happens here too. Sometimes there's so many bends that it's impossible to take them all out.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  roller35.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  226.1 KB This is the easy side. Just mark, and cut.

Name:  roller37.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  184.9 KB The other side is more of a PITA. Have to remove the gussets to be able to get in and cut the tube. First time gouging with a plasma torch. I'm almost out of O2, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's really pretty managable, I think it could be better with an actual gouging nozzle. If ya look at the next pic, you can see that I didn't get into the parent metal..........very kewl.

Name:  roller38.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  212.8 KB HOWEVER...................... The other side didn't go as well. In order to lay the torch on its side, you had to scarf towards the round plate.......which promptly blew the slag back in your face, your shirt, your jeans............ I tried getting as far away from the back blast, and subsequently got a bit into the parent metal because I couldn't really see what I was doing. So, I gave up, cut the gusset off, and just blew some of the metal off the top of the tube. I'll grind what little is left. Maybe 5 minute job, or less.

We had a cold front come through today It's only 91*........otherwise I wouldn't be fooling with this at this hour. You get air conditioner rights at a certain ageName:  stimpy2.gif
Views: 389
Size:  9.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

just thinking of that roller. could you get a length of some heavy wall tube just slightly under the diameter of the roller, then skin it in the remains of the roller so it has the right pattern, and use the roller ends welded into the tube?

job done, prob significantly cheaper than finding a new roller if even made anymore and you get back on the hay quicker

Post Thanks / Like

Why, why, why...do I KEEP READING THIS THREAD?????? I don't know sh!t from shinola about farm equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_walker View Post
    just thinking of that roller. could you get a length of some heavy wall tube just slightly under the diameter of the roller, then skin it in the remains of the roller so it has the right pattern, and use the roller ends welded into the tube?

job done, prob significantly cheaper than finding a new roller if even made anymore and you get back on the hay quicker
    The old roller, although the pics don't show it, is pretty well trashed. It egged when it broke. The "new" one ought to be here any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Why, why, why...do I KEEP READING THIS THREAD?????? I don't know sh!t from shinola about farm equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Because you're a glutton for punishment

11. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  roller39.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  200.9 KB Glued the fill-in piece together this morning before it started getting hot (supposed to hit 103* today)

Name:  roller42.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  215.0 KB Same pic, zoomed in. I'm really happy with the way this stuff runs.

Name:  roller40.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  207.0 KB Another aspect of the same workpiece. Again.....really consistent rod to run.

Name:  roller41.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  235.7 KB Not too bad for monocular welding Enough to get by I guess. Just damn glad to get away from that friggin' wire welder, and run something that works. Atom Arc 7018 maxed out on the little Lincoln crackerbox. It's pretty good stuff. At a shade 11, I'm able to keep the aura effect from the cataracts to a minimum. If you run a small machine, I really think you should try this rod.

Lunch whilst listening to the Halftime Report, and back to it. Gonna get worse as the day heats up.

13. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, Don52, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep reading... you're bound to learn something new...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

15. Likes wb4rt, farmersammm, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The old roller, although the pics don't show it, is pretty well trashed. It egged when it broke. The "new" one ought to be here any day.
    even if it egged, as you would force it to take the shape of the heavy wall tube. it would take the egg out of it as you wrap it around the tube like a skin and weld it in places to hold it.

might be something to do once you put the new on in during off season, if its a common failure so you have a spare to slot in ready to go? then your down time is only as long as it takes to swap them over?

17. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Keep reading... you're bound to learn something new...
    Actually, I have done that in some past threads!

19. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because you're a glutton for punishment
    sammm, I think it's because I am entertained by you trying to get out of that agricultural straight jacket you frequently seem to find yourself in!!

I am, BTW, a devoted follower of yours.

21. Likes farmersammm, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sammm, I think it's because I am entertained by you trying to get out of that agricultural straight jacket you frequently seem to find yourself in!:

damnnn. I gotta get me one of those!
    :

23. Likes 52 Ford, farmersammm, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    damnnn. I gotta get me one of those!
    I think it's just like a normal straight jacket, but flannel.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

25. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good weld

Dave

Name:  roller39.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  200.9 KB Glued the fill-in piece together this morning before it started getting hot (supposed to hit 103* today)

Name:  roller42.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  215.0 KB Same pic, zoomed in. I'm really happy with the way this stuff runs.

Name:  roller40.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  207.0 KB Another aspect of the same workpiece. Again.....really consistent rod to run.

Name:  roller41.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  235.7 KB Not too bad for monocular welding Enough to get by I guess. Just damn glad to get away from that friggin' wire welder, and run something that works. Atom Arc 7018 maxed out on the little Lincoln crackerbox. It's pretty good stuff. At a shade 11, I'm able to keep the aura effect from the cataracts to a minimum. If you run a small machine, I really think you should try this rod.

Lunch whilst listening to the Halftime Report, and back to it. Gonna get worse as the day heats up.

27. Likes farmersammm, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm ready to fit this POS up, weld it, and get back on the machine.

BUT I GOT HUNG UP BY THE SIMPLEST THING...............COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIT THE SQUARE TUBING TO THE ROUND TUBING

Tried gauging it with blocks, and a straight edge. Tried clamping it, and leveling it on 2 axis. Then sat there with my thumb up my rear, looking at it in total defeat

It finally occurred to me that I have these fancy schmancy levels................why not use 'em

Plumb the damn thing, then set the splice on top. The splice to pipe connection has to be fairly dead nutz........any bit of an angle will throw the whole arm off. This requires grinding the pipe cut to make for a perfect fitup.

Then I couldn't figure out how to plumb the stupid pipe with what I have on hand. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  roller43.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  234.4 KB So, I'm lookin' at the setup for splicing the two main arm pieces...............Then it hit me. IDIOT!!!!!!! Use the damn sawhorse!

Name:  roller44.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  194.5 KB

Name:  roller45.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  202.1 KB Clamp a coupla arms to the sawhorse,, and dial it in like you'd dial in a mag base indicator on a machine tool. You gots X, and Y, axis adjustability. BINGO.............she's ready for tweaking the fitup, tacking, and welding.

Now.....How hard was that?????Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 313
Size:  13.7 KB

29. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what you're doing here, but it sounds and looks good maybe it will all become clearer when you take pics of the next stage.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's trying to fit the square hole to the round peg and have it come out straighter than the prezel he started with....

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

32. Likes cwby, shortfuse, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  roller46.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  216.1 KB Here's where I am at present....................................

I've chosen what I think is the right point to measure from, in order to verify the thing is at the right angle, and the end points are where they should be. All of the rake wheels have to be lined up in all axis in order to run level on the ground, and be in line to throw hay from one rake to the next.

I measured my "spot", then wrestled the good arm on top of the repair job to see if I'm close............and it appears that I'm in the right zone. It was the right place to measure from.

The verification will take place for literally the next coupla hours before I even add one tack. This has to be right the first time, or it's a paperweight.

The next thing is to make sure all 3 axles are in line.

Those fancy levels have paid off at least 3 times over at this point. If you really need accurate levels, Empire's are about the best I'd guess.

And the pipe stands have been indispensable. Bob was right about the value of the stands.

With the ability to slide along the sawhorses, the stands can be on any kind of ground, and be adjusted to support something in the correct position/height.

34. Likes rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It hit 103* about half an hour ago, and I decided better to retreat in order to fight another day(whew!!!!!!!!) That's it for the day. I'm getting older, and it ain't worth it. Hell, even the guys where K'kins works, tow a doghouse out to the work site for cool off breaks(it's air conditioned). I don't see how those guys can work on those workover rigs in this weather, or when it gets bitter cold. They're a tough bunch of guys. The oilfield has some of the hardest workers on the planet.

"Square hole in the round peg" That was FUNNY

But it's pretty doggone spot on.

Name:  roller47.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  236.1 KB Because I didn't want to spend a ton of money for 3" DOM, I used square tubing for the filler where the damaged piece was cut out. The only way to make sure it was welded square.to the round tubing was to use a level. The flange on the square tubing prevented any other type of alignment method.

The C-clamp is for leverage. The first tack lifted the square tubing off of the pipe, and I had to pull down on it for the second tack on the opposite side. Anything in a pinch.

Name:  roller48.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  234.5 KB

Name:  roller49.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  222.6 KB

Name:  roller50.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  225.5 KB

So anyways.............If all mating surfaces are plumb, it's a pretty good bet that the square tubing is in line with the round tubing. Now the damage is gone, and we're dealing with a straight piece of steel.

36. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  roller51.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  214.8 KB To make sure everything stays where it's supposed to, the piece is tacked on X, and Y, axis. These tacks will hold the piece in the proper position. (camera lens door didn't open all the way I guess......it's getting old just like everything else around here)

Name:  roller52.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  213.5 KB

Name:  roller53.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  196.0 KB Then the finish welds are placed BETWEEN the tacks.......BUT NOT MELTING THE TACKS. The tacks are left undisturbed. After each weld, the tacks are then ground out, and the next weld continues from the first weld............on around the piece. The idea is to leave the tacks undisturbed so the gaps can't close while finish welding. This assures everything stays straight.

I do quite a bit of work dealing with gaps in fitup. I imagine you've seen how I use a screwdriver sharpened to a razor edge to wedge the gaps while I tack. Tacks, properly done, are your best friend when dimensions are fairly critical.

38. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sammm, with all the HOT and DRY weather, +100* temps, ....and you been welding with all that dry grass around and under your work...looking to start the next great grass fire in OK??? Hope you have the water hose or fire extinguisher just out of the picture frames!!

40. Likes 52 Ford, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll point out that this is a hay rake for hay that's going to be about one step better than straw, baled off a field that might charitably be called "rough." You could have run that rake the way it was until the Second Coming and never noticed any loss of performance. Your time would probably have been better spent disassembling your baler so that you could find the thousand things you're going to unnecessarily take apart, engineer, talk about, and modify so that you can finish up baling in about 2029.

42. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Final hookup this morning.

Name:  roller56.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  218.9 KB Piece to the right was leveled, then that level point was transferred to the piece on the left, which was also leveled. Two leveled pieces of tubing will make a straight single piece of tubing. This takes care of horizontal alignment.

Name:  roller57.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  204.9 KB Vertical alignment is simply matching the length between these two points with the length on the good arm.

Few tweaks on the main pivot point tomorrow morning, then install rake wheels, and hydraulic hose.

Pivot roller for the baler arrived Friday.

44. Likes whtbaron liked this post