+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: End of the Season

We're almost ready to pull the trigger on the used roller. Almost...............

The pic of the shaft shows the dismantlers used a grinder on the shaft to get the sprocket off, or whatever was behind the first keyway. Too damn lazy to use a cup brush. Not a problem if my lathe had a 60" bed, but my bed is only 40".

I can use Loctite 660(IIRC the right part number) to bed my sprocket on the messed up shaft, but it's no guarantee it'll be tight. Or.........sleeve the hub, and turn the bore down to grab the shaft.

If I could actually examine the shaft, I'd probably be more comfortable with it............but it's out in Tennessee.

If we have to make the stupid thing, I think cwby has the best solution. Set up a shaft with bulkheads, and have someone roll some tin to cover the assembly. You can control diameters, and do any kind of turning you need to on the drive end of the shaft. I can turn a long shaft on my lathe if it's supported by the steady rest. And length is no problem when milling keyways.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell ya................I'm real close to pulling the plug. We're a really small operation, only made possible by running old stuff. I've kept it together for almost 25yr, but it's all at the end of its service life, which means a large outlay. I'm not sure it's worth it at this stage in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Well... I can tell you there's a cost to hanging on too long too. Had a neighbor phone me this morning to see if I'd cut some hay for him, but I had to explain my headers are too wide for hay and it won't dry down. He's got a grain bin full of flax ( looks like 2 to 3,000 bushels to me) that started to discolor the roof last winter. Now it's smoking. Last summer that flax was trading over $40/bu. This is the second time I've seen him lose a bunch of flax because he didn't get things done. With the value of the bin, we're talking well over $100k in loss this time... not sure if he's got any insurance. He's got neighbors that would have rented that land (most is rented already) and put money in his hand for that grain. Trying to keep going after it's time to hang it up just becomes dangerous and inefficient and we all have to face the reality some day. A hobby? You could always take up restoring old balers....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy the damn roller, get the damn thing fitted, bale your hay, sell the damn thing and move on with your life.

You worry too damn much about stupid things.

If the sprocket is loose, weld the f***ER on! WHO CARES. The next owner certainly won't...
    Last edited by Munkul; 07-07-2022 at 03:04 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Go on down to Texas, and see what you'll pay................ https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/gr...498816506.html And "cow hay/cow quality" is hayspeak for generally lousy hay.
    That's the truth... anything approaching nice quality is marketed as "the best horsey hay you'll ever buy"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Buy the damn roller, get the damn thing fitted, bale your hay, sell the damn thing and move on with your life.

You worry too damn much about stupid things.

If the sprocket is loose, weld the f***ER on! WHO CARES. The next owner certainly won't...
    Yeah... but how do you REALLY feel about it?

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Yeah... but how do you REALLY feel about it?

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

I REALLY feel that it makes great reading, sat on the other side of the world in a comfy chair, but if I had the misfortune to be working alongside Sam, i wouldn't want a repeat of the Uranus Inc Bushog Shaft Repair scenario.
    That was a classic example of Sam trying to do everything perfect, and losing a ton of money and time doing it, for something that doesn't need to last forever.

They used to say "An engineer builds something that will last forever"
    They were wrong, that approach doesn't work in this brave new world. That's how you go out of business.

These days they say "An engineer builds something that will last as long as it needs to, as cheaply as possible"
    Last edited by Munkul; 07-07-2022 at 03:25 AM.

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY feel that it makes great reading, sat on the other side of the world in a comfy chair, but if I had the misfortune to be working alongside Sam, i wouldn't want a repeat of the Uranus Inc Bushog Shaft Repair scenario.
    That was a classic example of Sam trying to do everything perfect, and losing a ton of money and time doing it, for something that doesn't need to last forever.

They used to say "An engineer builds something that will last forever"
    They were wrong, that approach doesn't work in this brave new world. That's how you go out of business.

These days they say "An engineer builds something that will last as long as it needs to, as cheaply as possible"
    You just want to see another 9 page thread on the "proper" way to weld a sprocket.

11. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a classic example of Sam trying to do everything perfect, and losing a ton of money and time doing it, "
    What's interesting to me is, Samm has the ability to run a lathe, use a micrometer, Design and fabricate, use a torch to flame straighten...
    Etc etc...

Yet he lacks the ability or common sense to put his lawnmower under cover for the winter and then wonders why it doesn't run in the spring. Same thing with his engine Drive Welder

Leave it out in the tall weeds for over a year and then complain when it's full of mouse piss and excrement with chewed up wires.

Build a steel fuel tank (with no drain plug) and leave it filled with diesel for years with no fuel treatment or stabilizer.... then complain that there is water in the tank (probably algae also)

Lack of common sense or laziness?

Probably a little of both.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Age. The days get shorter, the lists get longer, and the computer chair gets more comfy every year...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

14. Likes John T, shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Age. The days get shorter, the lists get longer, and the computer chair gets more comfy every year...
    I can certainly relate to that.
    I am cutting and splitting today because I am far behind

Although my lawnmowers are still undercover
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually thats not a bad idea,,, fix up a piece at a time and sell it off.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a seller's market right now... farm auctions around here have been absolutely crazy.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

On its way.

Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 308
Size:  65.0 KB

Lotta damn money. Price + 80 shipping

Doesn't even count the probable replacement of at least 2 other gears (around 500), and an idler gear which I have laying around somewhere (about 150)

This assumes the damn bearing is good on the used roller.

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They're cutting hay around where I live....every time I see a baler working, I think of sammm........

22. Likes farmersammm, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Weeds Yield
    Yet Another
    Vintage Gem

Name:  roller8.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  217.6 KB

Name:  roller9.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  213.1 KB

Name:  roller10.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  223.4 KB And.........what should pop out, but a fully(IIRC) restored example of a vintage Kelderman hay rake. Purchased for the princely sum of 800 clams about 7yrs ago. Just waiting for it's day in the sunshine all these years.

Name:  roller11.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  237.6 KB Not the "proper" way to weld a sprocket..........but a damn fine example of the "proper" way to run Lo-Hy uphill back in the day when my eyes worked.

Name:  roller12.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  205.6 KB Some assembly required. It should all be there. The bucket of fasteners etc. is sitting under the welding table lo these 7 years.

Before the baler puked, I thought this was all I had left to do before heading down across the County line to hit the other field...........but (shrug) I guess I have a few days while the parts get here for the baler.

I'm about 99% sure I finished all the work on this thing before it got parked. Had a thread on it somewhere back in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Those cows do a fine job of keeping the yard mowed down..............and ya kin leave 'em in the rain for years. I figure we have maybe another full session to clear it all out till sometime in the Fall. K'kins had a great idea.......as always.

Post Thanks / Like

On its way.

Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 308
Size:  65.0 KB

Lotta damn money. Price + 80 shipping

Doesn't even count the probable replacement of at least 2 other gears (around 500), and an idler gear which I have laying around somewhere (about 150)

This assumes the damn bearing is good on the used roller.
    That's not bad... new concave and rub bars for the combine was pushing $6k.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

27. Likes John T, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9 years ago you were more funner.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

So what have you been using to rake up until you drug this thing out of the weeds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    It is a seller's market right now... farm auctions around here have been absolutely crazy.
    I'm not sensing a need to liquidate. Seems like samm has a good chunk of land along with many tools/tractors and possessions... With no obvious means to make a living.
    "farming" samm style don't pay the bills.

seems like an inheritance situation that he will piss down the toilet the day he gives up the ghost.

Thats what I have gleened over the years.

YMMV
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    So what have you been using to rake up until you drug this thing out of the weeds?
    For about 25yrs this has been a rake free zone. Never needed one.

Name:  roller14.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  228.9 KB Hesston 1014 HydroSwing 14' width

Name:  roller15.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  221.6 KB 1014 is strictly a grass machine. Does about 5mph on Bluestem

Name:  roller13.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  226.6 KB Hesston 1010 HydroSwing for cropland. A more aggressive machine with a full width conditioner. It'll do about 4ish acres/hr due to the 10' width.

Hesston made good stuff in the 70's. They were the only machines that didn't have wobble boxes. The sickle drives are reciprocal action running from flywheels. Virtually no maintenance. You can't say that for the other machines of that era. Change out sickle sections every year, and sickle guards every 2 years, and they run fine.

Both machines will run at between 4-5.5mph, depending on what's being cut. Younger people tend to forget that this type of machine will literally run circles around the modern disc mower/hay rake combination............or at least keep pace. They're one pass machines. Cut, and windrow at the same time. Just gotta bale what you cut.

I never felt the need to combine windrows. Besides......the old 846 wouldn't handle large windrows at speed without putting out a loose bale. It's the reason we're putting the bucks into the belt baler........it's a 5-6mph machine that will handle a lot of hay in a windrow at speed, all the while putting out a rock hard bale that weighs more, hence less haulage because of fewer bales. Get it squared away, and it will be a good machine..........although I'll still have a soft spot for the 846(which will get new floor chains to keep it available in situations like we're experiencing right now)

This is the reason I didn't ever want a disc mower. It's too damn slow. I can maybe run faster with a disc mower...........but with a 9' cut, I have to spend almost twice as much time cutting the same acreage that a 14' machine will cut. Then I have to rake it all up. Baling will be faster, but it's still more time in the field than the old system. More time, more fuel, more wear and tear on old equipment.

Other than the need to renovate the hay meadow, I will absolutely guarantee you that I will not be happy running the Krone. I figure we'll probably realistically need to use it for 2 seasons.........that and some Chaparral. Then it's back to the old sickle machine.

Most of the custom cutters around here use two disc mowers running on 2 separate tractors in order to get a decent amount of grass cut in a reasonable amount of time. A tandem set of mowers will eat the old 1014's lunch...........but I'm not having to lay out the bucks for the extra equipment. I have less money in the Oliver, 1014, and 1010, than I have in the Krone by itself. The Krone won't stay here more than it's needed.

The hay rake is a holdover from when I used to flip equipment. Luckily I never got rid of it. It'll earn its keep. Depending on how wide it will actually efficiently work, I may use it to combine windrows on the second Johnson Grass cutting this Fall. The NH650 ought to eat a double windrow just fine I'd wager. Least it'll be interesting to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of a little extra........................

The contraption hanging on the back of the 1014 is a tow hitch. It has a pylon that attaches, and drops down, in order to tow a truck.

This has always been a one man operation. It was necessary to have a vehicle present when cutting over in the next County. 2.5mi is a long walk home when something breaks.

Took it off some years back. K'kins prefers to drive behind, and take me back to the house to get the truck for the day. Then we reverse the order in the evening.

I imagine it made quite a picture to see tractor, swather, and truck, going down the road Did the same with the baler back in the day. Only difference was that the truck was the middle vehicle, with the baler trailing along behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I still get a little crazy from time to time though

Name:  tow bar3.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  145.7 KB Same old towbar from back in the day. I was damned if I was gonna pay for a wrecker to go get the truck. Was within a few miles of the house when it quit.

Name:  tow bar4.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  110.7 KB K'kins following along behind, in case she had to bail me out of jail

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist