Thread: Aluminum fuel tank for metal boat

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum fuel tank for metal boat

Good afternoon all,

I want to build a 5 gallon aluminum fuel tank for my welded mud boat and have been doing some research online... This may be a dumb question but what are the bungs used for that I see in the pictures?

I know I need to weld on the fuel cap and some sort of vent and pickup, Can someone explain what all those extra bungs and attachments are that I see on all the tanks? Why do some/most tanks have two small bungs at the bottom?

Also, should I use a baffle? I assume it cant hurt so I planned on adding one

Does anybody have a picture of the inside of a small marine fuel tank to wrap my head around it?

Any tips for a first time fuel tank builder would be appreciated, I will be using 1/8" 5052 and just making a simple rectangular box

Thanks for any advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum fuel tank for metal boat

You dont need a baffle in a small tank. Boyd Welding.com is good source for all the bungs and parts to make these tanks. They might have a stock tank already made. If you have never built one, you might be better off buying one.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

My plastic 25 liter tank doesn't have any baffles and it's about the same size. It's not enough fuel to cause any serious weight transfer so I don't see the need. I assume you've watched the You tube vids on the processes involved?
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welding1 View Post
    You dont need a baffle in a small tank. Boyd Welding.com is good source for all the bungs and parts to make these tanks. They might have a stock tank already made. If you have never built one, you might be better off buying one.
    ehhhh... I dunno. Gotta start somewhere. Better with a 5 gallon boat tank than a 100 gallon transfer tank for their truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Youmans View Post
    Good afternoon all,

I want to build a 5 gallon aluminum fuel tank for my welded mud boat and have been doing some research online... This may be a dumb question but what are the bungs used for that I see in the pictures?

I know I need to weld on the fuel cap and some sort of vent and pickup, Can someone explain what all those extra bungs and attachments are that I see on all the tanks? Why do some/most tanks have two small bungs at the bottom?

Also, should I use a baffle? I assume it cant hurt so I planned on adding one

Does anybody have a picture of the inside of a small marine fuel tank to wrap my head around it?

Any tips for a first time fuel tank builder would be appreciated, I will be using 1/8" 5052 and just making a simple rectangular box

Thanks for any advice!!
    Just curious, what type of motor are you going to run? Something like a long tail with a V twin?

Post Thanks / Like

Kenny,

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtop...28367&start=75 here is a link to a set of posts I did sometime ago during a discussion on welded aluminum tanks. Maybe this could help with some questions and even give you ideas about how to organize or plan your tank project?

I used to build welded aluminum boats fairly regularly, and have lost track of the all the other equipment I've built for boats, including tanks. Generally, marine tanks aren't supposed to have fittings below the top surface, and you'll find much more regulatory info on https://newboatbuilders.com/ this site has extensive references for fuel systems - links to standards as well as DHS/CG reg.s.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Just curious, what type of motor are you going to run? Something like a long tail with a V twin?
    Wondering that too.... 5 gal is a decent day with my 25hp Merc. If he's making any kind of serious horsepower, that's not a very big tank.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les