+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget portaband?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Budget portaband?

Quote Originally Posted by chewinggum View Post
    I had a HF and it's blade guide bearings all failed. Cheap-looking bearings. Rest of saw ok. I started to just replace the bearings, but
    I decided to get a DeWalt instead and it has been used daily for 3-4 years now.
    I have a lot of hours on my Bauer. Bearings still holding up fine. I'm certain they're Chinese bearings.

I might have talked about this before, but what you encountered is a crib death.... infant mortality. Fix those bearings and it's liable to work great for a very long time.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

2. Likes goggins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Yep, buy used name brand. Check Marketplace, Craigslist (or equivalent), and Ebay. If you're wanting it for in the shop, I'd buy corded.
    Yeah, definitely going corded since I'll only be using it at home.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to buy one when the time was right and just never did. They are handy, clean and quiet. No fire.

5. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can honestly say that much as my Makita is an excellent tool I could have gotten by fine without it.
    :

7. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have one. When I started there was hacksaw and a torch, we cut almost everything torch. I use a common chop saw in the shop, not continuously fabricating 8 hrs a day from new steel stock. Where I cant reach plasma or shop torch or chop saw it usually ends up with one of 2 heavy duty battery sawzalls. So I agree with Lis that after a while a guy finds what he uses so to speak and doesnt need every tool they ever invented. If I was doing handrail continuous no way not to have it. I dont think buying one is the dumbest idea I ever heard, its not that big a deal.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-06-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Beware. There is a least one models of Milwaukee and dewalt are obsolete and unsupported. I had them both. My first Milwaukee was near 30 years old. The dewalt was discontinued after I purchased it probably 6 yrs ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I meant to buy one when the time was right and just never did. They are handy, clean and quiet. No fire.
    When they're working right, yeah. I DID melt a motor on one

I was cutting a bunch of heavy angle iron. With a fresh blade it took about 3 minutes per cut. After about an hour of doing that back to back, it done gone and let the smoke out.

Post Thanks / Like

I ruined my good chop saw that way. Like a dumbazz put some 4 inch pipe at 45 in it and sawed like a madman, shame is there was no reason I had to rush. A cut or 2 and it would have been fine. Was 20 yrs old and would have went another 20.

12. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a torch it is faster.

I have used a Sawzall too.

The portable bandsaw I used but never own one. When being paid by hour it great tool.

Dave

When they're working right, yeah. I DID melt a motor on one

I was cutting a bunch of heavy angle iron. With a fresh blade it took about 3 minutes per cut. After about an hour of doing that back to back, it done gone and let the smoke out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I use a torch it is faster.

I have used a Sawzall too.

The portable bandsaw I used but never own one. When being paid by hour it great tool.

Dave
    With a GOOD blade, it's a lot faster than a Sawzall and it's easier to get a clean cut with it.

At the time I didn't have a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. If I had to do those same cuts now, I'd use the plasma cutter.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used Milwaukee 25+ years ago.
    Never a problem with it.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Milwaukee 6225 about 10 yrs ago, and love it. Don't know how I ever got by without it. After about 10 yrs, the tires dry rotted and I had to get new ones...if you buy a knockoff, you might want to be sure it's a clone of a Milwaukee for future parts compatibility.

17. Likes goggins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But have Sawzall and almost never need to use it in steel. I use a torch most time

FYI I found the blade does not last long on Sawzall.

Dave

With a GOOD blade, it's a lot faster than a Sawzall and it's easier to get a clean cut with it.

At the time I didn't have a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. If I had to do those same cuts now, I'd use the plasma cutter.

19. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    FYI I found the blade does not last long on Sawzall.
    Same here, seems like it's hard to keep the throttle backed-off enough to prevent cooking the blade, and once it gets too hot, it's goodbye Charlie.

I used a bimetal blade to cut off a big 1.5" SS or Monel rudder shaft that got bent/torn on my boat, it took a long time with as slow as I had to go. If I could have fit my Portaband into the confined space, it would have gone a lot faster, I suspect...

I hate using recipro saws on metal, even when it goes well, seems like you get all beat up.

21. Likes goggins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Beware. There is a least one models of Milwaukee and dewalt are obsolete and unsupported. I had them both. My first Milwaukee was near 30 years old. The dewalt was discontinued after I purchased it probably 6 yrs ago.
    I got a BNIB Dewalt 20v XR tool only for about $140 iirc at Home Depot about a year ago. Might of been a model that was being replaced by a newer model but at the price I had no complaints and almost bought 2 so I could flip the second for a few pennies. Figured someone else might need it more than I did the extra change. That and I did not feel like going through the hassle of having to sell it. Still have yet to use it. Now I have 2x Milwaukee portal bands and the Dewalt cordless. Keep forgetting to list the Milwaukee saw. One is still practically brand new and has the big red plastic case. Not sure which Milwaukee to sell. The one that shows more sign of use would sell faster as I’d list it for less money. It seems like that one cuts better though :/
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-07-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Most work was A36 steel.
    When use the Portable bandsaw was on 4" stainless steel shafts work great 👍.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    Same here, seems like it's hard to keep the throttle backed-off enough to prevent cooking the blade, and once it gets too hot, it's goodbye Charlie.

I used a bimetal blade to cut off a big 1.5" SS or Monel rudder shaft that got bent/torn on my boat, it took a long time with as slow as I had to go. If I could have fit my Portaband into the confined space, it would have gone a lot faster, I suspect...

I hate using recipro saws on metal, even when it goes well, seems like you get all beat up.

24. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I can honestly say that much as my Makita is an excellent tool I could have gotten by fine without it.
    I really should elaborate. I realize the versatility and value of portabands.

It's just that it hasn't been of great value to ME for the type of projects i work on.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 👍
    They look great

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I really should elaborate. I realize the versatility and value of portabands.

It's just that it hasn't been of great value to ME for the type of projects i work on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-9...24536-23-12075

Yeah, I've had times where I was going through a BIM blade per cut. Carbide is the way to go. You have to be careful not to chip the teeth, though.

You can also get a carbide tooth pruning blade from Diablo (I think Milwaukee has one, too). They're pretty impressive! With a cordless Sawzall or a compact cordless "Hackzall", they'd be really nice for pruning fruit trees and that sorta thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist