Thread: The bad news,,, the van didnt start

Post Thanks / Like

The bad news,,, the van didnt start

The bad news,,, the van didnt start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the good, it didnt start parked in the shop at a time I really didnt need to go anywhere. Its been a little process of fix up like any other used truck a guy moves in to but the bones are super in a big way and I been thru most of it and even better it was done before me. I was parking inside last fall and spot a coolant leak early and took me a bit to really relaize the thermostat was giving me a problem which was a dumb moment when I call the engineer over to say,,, wtf which I should do sometimes at the beginning.
    I am already well tired, reason I sat here in the first place, called the secretary for emotional support and she gonna come back to work and trouble shoot it some and give me a kick start if I need it. I had been in the shop and been able to survive retiring a couple trucks for a while and then it occurs to me, I am playing musical trucks and what a pain and finally fell in to this despite some other adventures and its been nice having so much in one spot relatively ready to go like fire truck.
    My last truck was the one I drove was a mini van which was nice except for being work out rusty junk, it looked terrible but man it was comfy and drove so nice. It was bad for business, people knew me didnt care but you couldnt hand out business cards from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The bad news,,, the van didnt start

I shall price fuel pump while here while drinking 2 cups of coffee. Got used to it again and been test driving it on some chores and glad to find a problem. Bet its on the shelf at my local store about 25$ more than the net which isnt bad. After a while the truck is like a security blanky, and its just scrap every minute it doesnt run.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a head gasket job on one of the Oldsmobile 350 diesels back in the day at the insistence of the owner, he was adamant about it and got pissed and didn't want to pay the bill, we finally got him to understand that he had demanded the job be done , and I got to change the thermostat which fixed it, hopefully he learned to listen to his mechanic.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

It was a duh moment after some extra work in which we double checked and even replaced a couple good pieces. I dont usually do that but got caught up in it and a minute of u tube and we did the job in a freak set of weather conditions we just didnt grasp the concept. It was so cold out with a test drive and not enough insulation in the van even but the ga never move during a test where we pulled it out and let idle in the cold. Grabed the heat reader ansd sure as snot, rad warm, engine cold, duh.

Post Thanks / Like

So much for our failures, they aint all winners in diy land. We push it in to the service bay, when I bought it the guy said it had a floor patch for this job and I know its not all rusted, so we put the round thingy with the needle and the numbers onm it a minute ago and I said,,, sheet, its gonna start and it did but we read thru the thing with the pitchurs in it and says we sposed to be 60-66 and we are a rock solid 50.
    We had a couple minor incidents with it before we fix the intake, cleaned it and all the top end stuff up and it just runs so good that it was working despite being low on fuel pressure and,,,, it was a job where I knew I was forgetting something and couldnt figure out what it was and it was fuel pressure. It worked and never had another problem till now and I simoly forgot to do a routine test,

Post Thanks / Like

Its a 5.7 in a 99 and seems there were a generation sort of notorious for fuel pumps. In fact had one fail in a customer car not too long ago was about 6 months old and a bud said he had similar replace and fail in same type generation etc. The fact I could get at it top side in side makes it semi serviceable during travel. I happened to stumble on a new set of plugs someone gave me a while back and glad I didnt buy them. I pulled 3 or 4 or more when I had the covers off and they were a thing of beauty and let them in.

Post Thanks / Like

So,,, not going with the idea cause it now runs even 10# at a minimum too low that its ok and we gonna wait and see what happens,,,, NOT!. The upside of all this is,,, even if I paid myself well I gonna have 5 or 6 large in a truck I cany get workwise for 30. Only downside is if I had to choose and should asj here for suspension experts but 250 would habe been sprung nicer for my ruff roads.
    I will get a pic or 2 in a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I be back.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Try again. Pic 3 post above shows stuff between the seats, this is about the best setup I ever have. A mini van was ok but this has so much mo9re room in the cab and I have 2 seat belts in the rear seat. Anyway, I carry that stuff all the time, there is a Maxstar buried in there and I do have torch too although I rarely use it with the advent of modern battery tools. I bought winter tires for the rear and managed to put 20 miles on them so off they went and the old ones back on during nice weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know its sideways in post 8 but can see bottom back, heavy duty hitch and 4, 6 and 7 way sockets, brake ready. Put a couple interior lights on separate switches, that was a super help. I have other pickups if I really need it but this is weather tight and roomy to toss equipment on sometimes dailey per project and had the secretary pick up a full pallet, 4K of bags conc mix set in the back and still handled fair. I pulled 3 different bigger trailers with it, one a 31 travel trailer and another bigger equipment one and done like it was made for it.
    There is some stuff hard top see, dirt augers, place for pinch and pry bars, some chains and rigging stuff along the floor stashed in there. I thought I was going to a welding job and that tub is full of shorts. I have a table vise horse setup I can toss on if needed. I went to a job the other day, they figured for me to take the thing home and weld it but I didnt even do that, drilled a hole and put a bolt in.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I am working on the bathtub curve I see posted in another thread thinking that the more stuff I fix the less there is to go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad looking van.

Post Thanks / Like

I simply missed the pressure test when I did other work, it ran so good just forgot about it. Cost me a hundred bucks as I would have had a pump discount. The good news, 20 minutes of clearing junk and 20 mins of removal and 5 on the phone and the helper gonna score one at 11. The PO had a floor cut out and did a really nice job and this is a clean like new truck, never seen a real winter and it dam near fell apart. If it happened a day or 2 earlier would have ordered but it doesnt take much o9f an event to lose another 100 while its broke waiting on a part.
    Most of the stuff I post is shortcut type things and I am enjoying that and the economy angle way more than I ever did a fussy craft worker. I dont like fussing over sanding and the bondo stuff, I am way to conservative to be good and fast. This truck would look new with paint and I might even do that at some point but I already bruise it a little,,,, it fits, its not junk but doesnt leaver the impression I got loads to burn on a 70K truck,,, more than that now, thats a fogging basic model.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I spose having it break in my shop bay is about like winning the scratch off, I was 60 miles away in it the other day and was on schedule.
    So, the rear seat came out of a caravan I think and had integral seat belts. Normally7 not a passenger van but once in a while need to seat extras short term and offers some limited bulkhead protection. I try to keep the junk down in the rear, tie it off, hard to see some of those details but the shovel handles haver heavy bungee and real heavy stuff under below and beside the rear seat.
    I hate to ruin my cool trays but I need to make a steel or wood one between those seats and build a set of custom shelves one side in the rear yet. I could get rid of 2 trays easy. I can load stock when I need to, I replace things I use, I consider what the duty really is and eliminate things I carry long time and never use.
    We have some 65mph roads and some 75 free way I think but lotso 2 lane and if I am not blocking traffic I am in no hurry to punch it, it has a sweet spot 52 and another 65 or so if I am being pushed along. It has no problem doing 85 and obviously getting there in less time but it takes a real hit and the time difference isnt worth the cost due to the fact the savings are tax free really. Save a dollar a minute for slowing down. Might not matter much to 2 masters in a truck dur5ing a work day at 200 hr but to end user like me 50 an hour rate for my time to slow just a pinch is ok.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at logging company, started by well meaning yaho but lots of stuff going on and the manpower is high school buds, young guys get to ram the snot out of equipment with a foot on the throttle all the time. This is different than operating specific equipment at operating speed but under lots of power thru every turn, working all the axels and differentials under twist loads, different than the guy up the road has 2x old men on equipment 2x as old with 1/2 the shop going on.
    I know a couple outfits, never break nuthin, all going on and maintained at orderly speed with well trained operators.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not likely to get painted although I might get a spray bomb to match and fix a couple boogers but they are not eye catching. It needs to be reasonable anbd not perfect, all the little scratches hurt too much in this line of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    A mini van was ok but this has so much mo9re room in the cab and I have 2 seat belts in the rear seat.
    And the seat with the two seat belts is held in place by it's own seat belt!!

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    And the seat with the two seat belts is held in place by it's own seat belt!!
    I noticed that too.... dude.... bolt that thing down if it's staying in there. On the outside appearance, I know auto paints are getting stupid expensive and John Deere green wouldn't go with the interior, but you could paint or even wrap some company logo over the sketchier parts of the finish and leave the original where it looks good. You mention it could be more professional looking for a business and properly designed graphics could do that.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

This van looks fine, my old one was pitiful. I dont need beauty but not being able to see thru it is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for improved pump pressure, like it lists in spec but that didnt happen. On the upside the pump was missing some pieces, was cobbled in from spare parts maybe. The downside is it all works and not sure where the fault was.

Post Thanks / Like

Its got a 480 something tranny in it, its a little sliipery once in a while taking off, not a problem once it pressures up, just notice it. Seems I read somthing somewhere along thje line about thios, a slipping clutch or band? Seems it might have been a localized problem. I did one in a ford a while back, didnt even take it all the waay apart, different problem but 30$ for input shaft and 200 for new converter, didnt even need to change the oil, looked new.