Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    So, ive been having problems with thieves stealing the catalytic converter from our warehouse. You can buy plate and such and anchor but they are expensive and i want to do something cheap.

    My idea is to use GRADE 8 chain and wrap it around like a snake and weld it directly to the exhaust.

    My question is what steps would i need to do to make sure it bonds well?

    Would it be better to use a lower grade chain because GRADE 8 is strong?

    Do i need a heating element to get the chain hot before i weld it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    3,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    You engineer this by yourself or have help?

  3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Nothing stops a thief. That chain will add some time to their cut time. Plus that's a lot of weight for the exhaust system to carry.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

  5. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Park in a fence with several unsociable dogs. Works for me.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    So the zip wheel they use to cut off the cat won't cut through chain?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Rock salt in a 12 gauge!

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  9. Likes Freebirdwelds, NotaVegetarian liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    A chain link catalytic converter would be a good match for a chain link steering wheel


    :

  11. Likes Freebirdwelds, 52 Ford liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    A 9,000 volt coil out microwave will stop them but may have legal problems for you after they try steeling the catalytic converter.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue12345 View Post
    So, ive been having problems with thieves stealing the catalytic converter from our warehouse. You can buy plate and such and anchor but they are expensive and i want to do something cheap.

    My idea is to use GRADE 8 chain and wrap it around like a snake and weld it directly to the exhaust.

    My question is what steps would i need to do to make sure it bonds well?

    Would it be better to use a lower grade chain because GRADE 8 is strong?

    Do i need a heating element to get the chain hot before i weld it?

  13. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    u cant be hanging all that **** on something like that. the problem needs to be addressed where the problem is/starts, period. i know its hard, cuz the system is against us

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP mentioned Grade 8 chain. Chains come in grades like 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, etc. Bolts in single grades like 6, 7, 8,......Never saw a Grade 8 chain. Must be really soft

  16. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  17. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    to really slow down thieves use wire rope.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

  18. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  19. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A 9,000 volt coil out microwave will stop them but may have legal problems for you after they try steeling the catalytic converter.

    Dave
    I like how you think.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A 9,000 volt coil out microwave will stop them but may have legal problems for you after they try steeling the catalytic converter.
    ...or the cap shorts out and your empty gas tank goes
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:13 PM.

  21. Likes welding1 liked this post
  22. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    you'll prolly just piss off the thieves and they'll show you... by keying the side of your vehicle. LOL
    :

  23. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  24. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    you'll prolly just piss off the thieves and they'll show you... by keying the side of your vehicle. LOL
    12 gauge with rock salt.

    Thieves don't wanna F with the crazy guy that jumps out of the shadows shooting at them with a shotgun.

    Wonder what the laws are regarding CS gas. That'd be kinda fun, too.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Park in a fence with several unsociable dogs. Works for me.
    Name:  what-has-4-legs-and-an-arm-a-happy-malinois-7882181.png
Views: 240
Size:  139.9 KB
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  26. Likes 12V71, goggins liked this post
  27. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    300 W h i s p e r,, and a night site,,, also called a 300 BLACKOUT,, I prefer that it whispers,,

  28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  29. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Looks great 👍
    Who want a treat for watching 👀 the catalytic converter all night long.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Name:  what-has-4-legs-and-an-arm-a-happy-malinois-7882181.png
Views: 240
Size:  139.9 KB
    Last edited by smithdoor; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:54 PM.

  30. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Buffalo NY area
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Fence charger on a battery. same zap as a spark plug. Might fry the computer tho. Link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-fence-charger
    Last edited by nickel_city_fab; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:04 PM.
    Use a bigger hammer.

  31. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    my toyota tundra parked outside of my church

    stole catalytic converters... $6k to have new ones installed

    went to a muffler shop...$450 weld on bars for protection

    no longer drive tundra to church, drive my wifeys camary....

  32. Likes goggins liked this post
  33. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP mentioned Grade 8 chain. Chains come in grades like 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, etc. Bolts in single grades like 6, 7, 8,......Never saw a Grade 8 chain. Must be really soft

    You crack me up hahahahah, you got what i meant!!

  34. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    you'll prolly just piss off the thieves and they'll show you... by keying the side of your vehicle. LOL

    Its a work vehicle so i dont care about the paint at all. My point is i dont want to pay 5 grand to fix my cats. Paint? i dont care

  35. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by xmmancharl View Post
    my toyota tundra parked outside of my church

    stole catalytic converters... $6k to have new ones installed

    went to a muffler shop...$450 weld on bars for protection

    no longer drive tundra to church, drive my wifeys camary....
    'thieves dont care about anything that you have

    Just trying to do it myself to save money

  36. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Im going to sit in the tree and hit them with a compound bow

  37. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Protection for catalytic converter with chain

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    12 gauge with rock salt.

    Thieves don't wanna F with the crazy guy that jumps out of the shadows shooting at them with a shotgun.

    Wonder what the laws are regarding CS gas. That'd be kinda fun, too.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    or a baseball bat if you can sneak up while their under the car

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,660,151,868.82754 seconds with 13 queries