Thread: Digital torpedo level

Post Thanks / Like

Digital torpedo level

Thought I would post the level I bought last year. I purchased it for checking the % slope on the 1/4 mile dirt oval track I'm building. It's magnetic so I can stick in the skid steer, grader or any implement to check the slope. I think it will work great for lining up my drill press to try and bore the hole for my backhoe pivot I built up with weld. It's accurate to .1 of a percentage of slope or 1/10th of a degree. I put it on the kitchen counter and it read .4 of a % off. Should be plenty accurate for what I need. It's fairly heavy built but they say not to drop it as it isn't rated for that kind of shock. It was about $70 cad. if I recall. Most digital levels are well over $100 and some over $200.

https://www.empirelevel.com/torpedo-level_em105.php
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 07-07-2022 at 02:40 AM.

2. Likes 52 Ford, Louie1961, John T, albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Digital torpedo level

how'd the dirt track turn out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Thought I would post the level I bought last year. I purchased it for checking the % slope on the 1/4 mile dirt oval track I'm building. It's magnetic so I can stick in the skid steer, grader or any implement to check the slope. I think it will work great for lining up my drill press to try and bore the hole for my backhoe pivot I built up with weld. It's accurate to .1 of a percentage of slope or 1/10th of a degree. I put it on the kitchen counter and it read .4 of a % off. Should be plenty accurate for what I need. It's fairly heavy built but they say not to drop it as it isn't rated for that kind of shock. It was about $70 cad. if I recall. Most digital levels are well over $100 and some over $200.

https://www.empirelevel.com/torpedo-level_em105.php
    That's pretty nice.

In a pinch, I've used the iPhone level.
    And it turns out to be pretty accurate

Enough for my needs anyway.

The problem with the iPhone is you have to compensate for the buttons on the side of the phone. Usually a coin does the trick.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

5. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    That's pretty nice.

In a pinch, I've used the iPhone level.
    And it turns out to be pretty accurate

Enough for my needs anyway.

The problem with the iPhone is you have to compensate for the buttons on the side of the phone. Usually a coin does the trick.

Yeah, it helps to use an phone case with flush buttons or button cutouts.

You can get little digital angle finders for like $20 or $30 that work like the app.

Klein sells one. They also sell a fancier model that actually measures level. https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/l...easuring-tools

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    how'd the dirt track turn out?
    Good so far but haven't finished it. I need to fix the hoe so I can dig and load more clay to bank the corners the full width. Then I want to use the Cat to handle the foam filled tires/wheels I have to mount on the grader. A couple guys tried the track out at the end of April and corner 1/2 was really good. The track is 65ft. wide and I need to add about 15ft. more clay to the corners to get the banking the full width.

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Yeah, it helps to use an phone case with flush buttons or button cutouts.

You can get little digital angle finders for like $20 or $30 that work like the app.

Klein sells one. They also sell a fancier model that actually measures level. https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/l...easuring-tools

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I looked at those little square levels but they don't read % slope. I also think a longer level will be a little more accurate than just a 3 or 4" long one. I like that the one I bought has the groove to fit on pipe and the display and buttons are completely built in so they don't get in the way of anything. It can be used like a standard torpedo level on flat or round surfaces. Too bad the magnets are only on the flat side though.

10. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Husky digital level from Home Depot is good and durable and cheaper. I have one of those Klein don’t use it much. However, over the last year I have reverted back to using a laser level, finder and grade stick. It gives more points for CAD imput.