+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oxy-Mapp torch constantly loses puddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy-Mapp torch constantly loses puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Made a quick cut on 1/4" plate with the new torch. Worked great.

Bit annoyed that victor made the propane regulator go to like 100psi when you use 4-8psi. Much harder to determine where 4-8 is on a scale to 100.

Curious how long the cones/primary flame should be expected to be? Granted the tip is recessed about 1/16 it only comes out around 3/16-1/4" total at best. Seems plenty hot regardless once it was set to a whistling configuration.

Watch the video I posted earlier in this thread from Victor (or Smiths?) They demo the "star" test for adjusting a propane flame. Setting up an oxy propane flame is very different from setting up an oxy acetylene flame.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I believe Victor torches already have a built in arrestor, adding another may lead to excessive restriction.
    I believe that working with propane the risk are much less than with acetylene.

The torch with the Victor Medalist 250 he bought does not incorporate integral flashback arrestors.

You can see when one or both are incorporated into the handle. Nothing there.

There is a torch available with another Medalist 250 kit that incorporates check valves into the handle but they are only check valves and you would still need flashback arrestors if you wanted that protection.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...All%20Products

Victor of course does have torches with both built in.

https://store.cyberweld.com/vitoha10vame.html

https://www.zoro.com/victor-hd-weldi...4LT%20G1566612
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-04-2022 at 09:16 AM.

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I added the quick disconnects and flashback arrestors at the torch end... it does add a bit of length but not to the point of being problematic. Stick with the name brand stuff and you should be alright. I ran into some cheap Chinese junk that had different hose ends for the hose and arrestors. Hose ended up in the trash in less than a year anyway. I do like my quick disconnects for using multiple torch heads though...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I called victor they said the medalist 250 has arrestors built into the handle.

Not sure how, but that’s direct from Esab…
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I think all Victor torches have arrested built in today. Some time late 1980's Victor was building into torches.

All my Victor torches do not have arrested built in. I purchased the torches new before the late 1980's.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

That's been my understanding. Run it

Post Thanks / Like

Better to research it yourself. I didn't think it had check valves but it actually does.

It does not have flame arrestors. You can't CALL anywhere anymore and get accurate information.

Did you tell them you had a Oxy-Propane Medalist 250 kit with a WH411C torch handle. It has only check valves but it does not have flame arrestors. They are not the same thing.

https://store.cyberweld.com/viwhtoha...and%20Segments

Only this Victor Oxy-Propane Medalist 250 kit has handle that has flashback protectors.

https://store.cyberweld.com/victor-m...0384-2544.html

This is decent medium handle with them built in. Cost almost what the kit cost though.

https://store.cyberweld.com/vitoha10...and%20Segments
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-04-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Better to research it yourself. I didn't think it had check valves but it actually does.

It does not have flame arrestors. You can't CALL anywhere anymore and get accurate information.

Did you tell them you had a Oxy-Propane Medalist 250 kit with a WH411C torch handle. It has only check valves but it does not have flame arrestors. They are not the same thing.

https://store.cyberweld.com/viwhtoha...and%20Segments

Only this Victor Oxy-Propane Medalist 250 kit has handle that has flashback protectors.

https://store.cyberweld.com/victor-m...0384-2544.html

This is decent medium handle with them built in. Cost almost what the kit cost though.

https://store.cyberweld.com/vitoha10...and%20Segments
    The info you're stating is what I found.

I'll have to get some I guess. Kind of silly to sell a torch without them if its considered a critical safety feature.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

This torch was purchased around 1980 and was used everyday to 2004.
    Still in good shape today.
    Victor will last a life time.

Dave

Attachment 1742188

Post Thanks / Like

The info you're stating is what I found.

I'll have to get some I guess. Kind of silly to sell a torch without them if its considered a critical safety feature.
    Yes sir you would think.

We used the oxy-acetylene for 100 years without check valves or flashback protectors though. I guess if you try hard enough you could mess up.

Learn the rules and follow them and pretty hard to have a issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a big deal to add flashback arrestors. Some safety police require them on the torch and the regulators. Are they critical, not if you observe the proper safety protocols. Otherwise every torch sold would require them. Are they a good idea, definitely! If you're running propane there is way less chance of having a flashback. I still shake my head about when a guy came into the welding supply and wanted to get quick couplers for his O/A hoses so he could hook them together when he took the torch off. He said they're different and was thinking of using air hose couplers because they are the same. He would have had to cut the hose ends off and use barbed air fittings because fuel gas is left hand thread and the threads are a special size (B). I'm kind of glad he talked to me first before he just went and did this. He may not have ever had a chance to talk to anyone after the explosion. A branch manager was mad at me and even complained to my boss because I wouldn't give him a part number for a high flow acetylene regulator. His customer was using a large rosebud and wasn't getting enough acetylene. I asked what rosebud and what size of cylinder or if he had 2 cylinders manifolded together, etc. Couldn't in good conscience give him any part numbers or what he wanted. I'm not telling him how to make a bomb! Likely the regulator his customer was using got blocked by acetone coming out of the cylinder due to too high of withdrawal. It may have saved the guy/idiot's life. My boss thought I over reacted until I found an article online explaining exactly what I said. It even mentioned someone going into a welding supply and talking to someone unfamiliar with how dangerous it is. My boss had a change of heart after reading the article.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 08-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Not a big deal to add flashback arrestors. Some safety police require them on the torch and the regulators. Are they critical, not if you observe the proper safety protocols. Otherwise every torch sold would require them. Are they a good idea, definitely! If you're running propane there is way less chance of having a flashback. I still shake my head about when a guy came into the welding supply and wanted to get quick couplers for his O/A hoses so he could hook them together when he took the torch off. He said they're different and was thinking of using air hose couplers because they are the same. He would have had to cut the hose ends off and use barbed air fittings because fuel gas is left hand thread and the threads are a special size (B). I'm kind of glad he talked to me first before he just went and did this. He may not have ever had a chance to talk to anyone after the explosion. A branch manager was mad at me and even complained to my boss because I wouldn't give him a part number for a high flow acetylene regulator. His customer was using a large rosebud and wasn't getting enough acetylene. I asked what rosebud and what size of cylinder or if he had 2 cylinders manifolded together, etc. Couldn't in good conscience give him any part numbers or what he wanted. I'm not telling him how to make a bomb! Likely the regulator his customer was using got blocked by acetone coming out of the cylinder due to too high of withdrawal. It may have saved the guy/idiot's life. My boss thought I over reacted until I found an article online explaining exactly what I said. It even mentioned someone going into a welding supply and talking to someone unfamiliar with how dangerous it is. My boss had a change of heart after reading the article.
    To your point of proper, i was always told you crack the fuel gas, ignite it and then add o2.

To my surprise victors video on propane says lightning both together and adjusting is acceptable. I really only have done that on a windy day as a last resort.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Propane is harder to light than acetylene and by adding O2 the flame won't go out right after it's lit. It's perfectly safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Propane is harder to light than acetylene and by adding O2 the flame won't go out right after it's lit. It's perfectly safe.
    But with acetylene, should they be a no-no?

Side note, anyone know if these are loctited on? The double male nipple for the connections. It’s driving me nuts that they aren’t at the same height, and i can’t budge it. Don’t want to add head and ruin something…

It’s petty, but with the quick connects on the stems look wrong.
    Name:  646F9BA5-0118-45DF-8FF9-B8381E458A1F.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  86.7 KB
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 08-04-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Side note, anyone know if these are loctited on? The double male nipple for the connections. It’s driving me nuts that they aren’t at the same height, and i can’t budge it. Don’t want to add head and ruin something…

i think it is deliberate.

being so close together it would be hard to slide the quick couplers back to disengage if they are both the same length.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    i think it is deliberate.

being so close together it would be hard to slide the quick couplers back to disengage if they are both the same length.
    They’re off by maybe 1/8” at best, i think it’s a quality control error honestly. They have plenty of space to slide the collars.

Name:  F95E8DB6-2AD8-4EAF-8A8B-C0EAD7FA4A21.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.0 KB

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

They’re off by maybe 1/8” at best, i think it’s a quality control error honestly. They have plenty of space to slide the collars.

Name:  F95E8DB6-2AD8-4EAF-8A8B-C0EAD7FA4A21.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.0 KB
    my misaligned couplers would drive you around the bend LOL

:

Post Thanks / Like

My handle is the WH-411C and they do appear to be even, but it is older. What you really need is a yard full of eff'd up farm equipment to take your mind off things...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    my misaligned couplers would drive you around the bend LOL

Thats a nifty holder. What's it for? Forging work?

I kind of regret not buying the western matching brass color disconnects they were $14 more though with equal reviews.

I tried heating the nipple lightly (which is also the check valve) and couldn’t budge it still.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 08-04-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nifty holder. What's it for? Forging work?
    yes and acting as a third hand in general for heating things up.

i don't use it nearly as much as i thought i would which just reinforces the sad fact that i'm nowhere near as smart as i think i am.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

What would you do to fix them though ? They are different length pieces and both are already bottomed out. They may be pressed in or could have a hardening sealer..

You will be even more upset if you mark up your new torch or break one off trying to correct it. I agree that that sucks man. Bummer for sure.

Some torches advertise that inlets are replaceable. Thinking these may be are the ones that are not that way.

Look down through them you should be able to see if threaded in if threads exist up in beyond the fitting.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-04-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They're definitely replaceable as they are the check valves.

I'm gonna call victor tomorrow and ask.

I don't think theyre bottomed out, the fuel one is screwed in further. Hard to see in the pic, you can see the rim with your eye looking at it in person.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was just a change of fitting suppliers or styles in the assembly line... 2 totally different styles... They were very accommodating with warranty issues when I talked to them, but is that really worth sending the handle back over?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I do see it plain as day now. The long one isn't threaded to the shoulder like the short one.

All thread lock types are removed with heat. But does it require more heat than the check valve can handle.

You want to remove and reinstall the same one that may be a issue. Maybe a heat gun could soften it with a more controlled heat and get it out so you can try to get it in further the next go round or see why it didn't go in all the way to begin with.

Typical of Chinese products to have irregularities. Does the manual show the check valves have parts numbers and are replaceable?

I doubt they have anyone anymore that is repairing these at Vitcor/Esab to know anything about how they come apart. Warrantees are probably just replaced.

Then again take a look at this Victor design. Almost ensures to get valve orientation correct almost no way the lengths would end up the same. I don't think even length fittings concerns them.

Last edited by danielplace; 08-04-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    I do see it plain as day now. The long one isn't threaded to the shoulder like the short one.

All thread lock types are removed with heat. But does it require more heat than the check valve can handle.

You want to remove and reinstall the same one that may be a issue. Maybe a heat gun could soften it with a more controlled heat and get it out so you can try to get it in further the next go round or see why it didn't go in all the way to begin with.

Typical of Chinese products to have irregularities. Does the manual show the check valves have parts numbers and are replaceable?

I doubt they have anyone anymore that is repairing these at Vitcor/Esab to know anything about how they come apart. Warrantees are probably just replaced.

Then again take a look at this Victor design. Almost ensures to get valve orientation correct almost no way the lengths would end up the same. I don't think even length fittings concerns them.

Damaging the check valve was my concern.

Oddly enough i have a second kit coming tomorrow because Amazon is ridiculous,

The price dropped $40 immediately after I bought it, so I called them to adjust it and they said the only way is to buy it again and return one. Which seems wild to me but I guess it somehow works for them,

Anyway, I’ll see if that one is the same.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist