Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank build. 2 gallons

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel tank build. 2 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    That's a cool little project Moto! Kudo's to you for the innovative handles too.

Personally, as I aged arthritis in my hands would make it easier to carry it with a round bar handle on top, versus having to keep squeezing with my fingers into the internal handles.

But your way looks much cooler!
    Might counter sink handles in the front left corners and put a round or square handle on the top also for sure

2. Likes whtbaron, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F3043811-EC80-4FF6-9861-E0C3F180A68A.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  113.7 KBName:  9DD8A2FF-6D7C-42C6-9AD9-8E75D2BB4174.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  91.6 KBran the flat welds at 150-160 amps. Had my phone take a video of the amps need to turn down the round stick for the back breather and get more filler rod. Dang ground fell off in the bottom right corner

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the extra pipe on the handles? It looks more like a mistake. I think you could add a little less filler rod. The outside fillet welds don't need to be built up that much.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not perfect like you. Rather not run the risk of hot short crack by not adding enough filler

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking to improve your welding or just wanting everyone to tell you how great you are? I'm sure there are some very experienced Tig welders on here that would agree with me. I wasn't saying it was bad or anything like that just that there could be a little less build up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Are you looking to improve your welding or just wanting everyone to tell you how great you are? I'm sure there are some very experienced Tig welders on here that would agree with me. I wasn't saying it was bad or anything like that just that there could be a little less build up.
    Perhaps you could post up some pictures of similar work you have done. Oh, I get it, they don't exist.

8. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the point of posting pics. of your welds on a welding forum if you're not open to critique? I never said it was bad, it's actually pretty good just doesn't need as much filler. Moto said it was practice when he welded the inside so I figured the outside was practice too. Most weldors worth their salt want to continuously improve their skills so they are open to suggestions to become a true craftsman. It doesn't matter what I could do. It's about how nice it could potentially be. One just has to look at how close the ripples are to see less filler rod and/or a slightly faster travel speed could have been used. Maybe a smaller filler rod? Look how much build up there is. Look at the fillet welds below for comparison. Scroll down to the square looking box. That's something to strive for. Moto's not too far off.

https://laptrinhx.com/news/how-do-yo...uminum-9b7J7z/
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 07-18-2022 at 01:49 AM.

10. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if I tig welded everyday it would look like that. Iíve done tig aluminum only a few times in the last year. Mostly running mig at work

Post Thanks / Like

It was looking pretty good until the weird handle got added.

Not criticizing the welding.
    Just the design.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

13. Likes kioti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the last picture in the first post in barely seeing the outside corner, you have no real penetration on the welds. Tanks like this are generally fit very well together and fully welded from the outside with good penetration.

I have built a few of these and I like to overlap the outside corners by 25% of thickness and burn into it for a full penetrating weld. I also purge then so the gas preservatives cant eat the back side.

As stated previously, nothing beats a 5 psi soapy water test.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the point of posting pics. of your welds on a welding forum if you're not open to critique? I never said it was bad, it's actually pretty good just doesn't need as much filler. Moto said it was practice when he welded the inside so I figured the outside was practice too. Most weldors worth their salt want to continuously improve their skills so they are open to suggestions to become a true craftsman. It doesn't matter what I could do. It's about how nice it could potentially be. One just has to look at how close the ripples are to see less filler rod and/or a slightly faster travel speed could have been used. Maybe a smaller filler rod? Look how much build up there is. Look at the fillet welds below for comparison. Scroll down to the square looking box. That's something to strive for. Moto's not too far off.

https://laptrinhx.com/news/how-do-yo...uminum-9b7J7z/
    Problem is you like to pick apart what everyone else does but post nothing of your own. That tends to say to everyone that you haven't done squat, either that or berating others makes up for your lack of ability. If you actually listened to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism your backhoe boring thing wouldn't have turned into a complete and utter train wreck.

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my welding cell phones with camera's were around and even if they were, I wouldn't be stopping to take pics. of what I did. I was trying to help Moto but he reacted too fast and took it the wrong way instead of taking it like constructive criticism. Moto has a bit of a reputation as a hot head and would rather make excuses than trying to improve his results. I wouldn't say my backhoe boring is an utter train wreck. I'd say the cheap Chinese boring bars are. I can try a few different things and still be way way under what it would cost to have it line bored.

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my welding cell phones with camera's were around and even if they were, I wouldn't be stopping to take pics. of what I did. I was trying to help Moto but he reacted too fast and took it the wrong way instead of taking it like constructive criticism. Moto has a bit of a reputation as a hot head and would rather make excuses than trying to improve his results. I wouldn't say my backhoe boring is an utter train wreck. I'd say the cheap Chinese boring bars are. I can try a few different things and still be way way under what it would cost to have it line bored.
    Keep telling yourself that.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how Moto liked to call his former boss out for his welds but try to suggest something simple that could improve Moto's welds and he takes it as you're calling out his welds. I merely made a suggestion that might help Moto do a nicer weld and I'm made out like the bad guy. Good grief!

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tank build. 2 gallons

Funny how Moto liked to call his former boss out for his welds but try to suggest something simple that could improve Moto's welds and he takes it as you're calling out his welds. I merely made a suggestion that might help Moto do a nicer weld and I'm made out like the bad guy. Good grief!
    Stop gaslighting little Moto !!

Don't be a hater
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

You’re sounding like a broken record. I said I didn’t wanna take the risk on hot short cracking with less filler. No need to pretend I made drama out of it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I said I didn’t wanna take the risk on hot short cracking with less filler. No need to pretend I made drama out of it
    You conveniently LEFT OUT this part ....
    I’m not perfect like you.
    THAT IS DRAMA ALL DAY LONG......

Nice try.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  38F60D0D-A2EF-4F12-BD61-914F28364B03.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  85.4 KBOk John we can get on with it

23. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All anyone has to do is compare Moto's welds to the welds I posted in the link. With a little tinkering and fine tuning Moto's welds could look like those. If he wants to make excuses instead of trying something a little different that's on him. I'm just giving honest feedback, if it's too much for Moto's ego to handle, then he shouldn't post pics. of his welds. When you're posting pics. of your welds you have to take the good and the bad and I never even said they were bad. If Moto thinks they can't be improved upon then he obviously doubt's his own skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Have another drink my man!!

26. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No mention of it so far, but what is this fuel tank to be used for? Will it be mounted as a fuel supply for an engine or just for transporting fuel to one? Will it contain gasoline or diesel?

Post Thanks / Like

Used to fill up my saws and dirt bike or for whatever. Good to see you bist. I was hoping for a good laugh tho

Post Thanks / Like

Used to fill up my saws and dirt bike or for whatever. Good to see you bist. I was hoping for a good laugh tho
    In that case i would say it is a fuel can not a tank due to its smaller size.

30. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes good to hear from you Bistineau

I was wondering if you were still burnin rod

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  0989DD2A-EFB9-4F13-8412-BE49A2E248D6.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  115.4 KBName:  5ED89669-13D5-4259-9754-016516EB8C97.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  112.5 KBName:  48836B16-9B90-4497-912E-9D5712A69D54.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  121.5 KBName:  6C1D43C0-3772-469E-8948-A062235BAFDB.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  125.4 KBand she’s pretty much done.

33. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post